HELP!!! "zoom follows keyboard focus" is officially broken!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by TheChinski, Aug 10, 2010.

1. TheChinski macrumors newbie

Under the zoom area within accessibility, there is an option for "zoom follows keyboard focus". This basically means that when you zoom the screen in and type, the zoomed screen will move so that you can see what you are typing without having to move the screen all the time.

However, it simply doesn't work under any circumstances. I have a call logged with Apple which has now been escalated to Cupertino as the service engineers also found this to be the case on their vanilla macs - with the latest (and previous) OSX updates.

I'm a bit miffed as I bought my macs (desktop and portable) simply for these features - but of course it was way beyond the 2 week return window before I found out it wasn't just me being a twit.

Funny thing is, I'm SURE I recall somebody showing it me working in the Apple Store - but every time I've popped in since, it won't work, lol!

Anyone else ever got it working - and if so, how ???!!!

The only feedback I get now is that they are working on it and a fix may become available at some point. For me, this feature WAS why I migrated to mac as I am very short sighted :( Ho hum.

2. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I didn't even know that was there! I just tried it now, and it seems to work fine.

What version of OSX are you using?

3. TheChinski thread starter macrumors newbie

10.6.4 - but it didn't work on either of the previous 2 versions either!

So for example, as I am typing this in safari, my cursor goes off of the right hand side of the page and I can't see it any longer... The only way around this is to move my whole screen to the left a bit - which takes a relatively long time when you're a quick typist.

As I say, Apple seem to recognise it as a flaw and say that they are working on it.

Another "feature" of the lack of functionality is that the cursor will tend to jump randomly around the screen - eg flick to the bottom left corner for no (apparent) reason at all. For example in the top right area of the display, if you click on your left most icon and then move the mouse along towards the right and down, say the airport menu, my mouse flips to the bottom left corner of the display.

I've just turned it off :(

Have you tried in in other applications apart from Safari?

4. Thor774 macrumors regular

Thor774

Normally replying to a so old topic is useless, but I will do it anyway.

It is unbelievable that this problem still exist on Lion. I have seen it on all the versions of OSX I have tried so far since Tiger.

It is really sad that Apple has not made an effort to fix the issue with the "zoom follows the keyboard focus" function during the last 5 years! They are surely reusing the module and just passing it to the next version of OSX without even looking at it.

This problem is present in every Mac I have tried it. New and used ones, mine or from friends. It is impossible to use this function with the mouse pointer jumping around all the time like it does when the thing is activated. It is too distracting.

Well, the lack of effort in this is maybe because it is a function barely used by many. I guess les that 1% of the OSX users really need this. It is sad for us that have some kind of visual problem that really can put this function to good use.