Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Leewalker19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
St.Louis
So I purchased my iPhone 4 when it first came out and today I dropped it on concrete and the front screen cracked. You think apple would give me a new one or would I have to pay? I really don't want to. This sucks. :(

Harvey Specter

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2011
Portland, Oregon
Unfortunately this happens to a lot of people and nobody would want to pay :/

Your best bet is to wait for the iPhone 5, salvage your sim card into a different phone, and upgrade when the 5 comes out

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
If you take it to an Apple store they might replace it at no cost. My daughter recently broke her 3GS and she took it in and they replaced it for free.

Good luck.

Leewalker19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
St.Louis
If you take it to an Apple store they might replace it at no cost. My daughter recently broke her 3GS and she took it in and they replaced it for free.

Good luck.

Im going to make a trip up there tomorrow and see what I can do. I really hope they do. My upgrade isn't due until around when the 6 comes out and I don't want to get a 5.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Leewalker19 said:

Good luck.

Im going to make a trip up there tomorrow and see what I can do. I really hope they do. My upgrade isn't due until around when the 6 comes out and I don't want to get a 5.

Good luck! But one question..why do u say "I don't want the 5". Is that because ur can't get one at a subsidized price or did u have other reasons? Just curious.

Leewalker19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
St.Louis
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Good luck! But one question..why do u say "I don't want the 5". Is that because ur can't get one at a subsidized price or did u have other reasons? Just curious.

The first reason is correct.Of course i would want the newer model if i had a choice between the two, but i'm not paying a early upgrade fee and i'm very satisfied with the 4. Most IOS 5 if not all features will be supported and its much different from when i had the 3g. By time the 4 came out it was so slow and annoying. At least the 4 is still a very fast phone even after being a 1 1/2 old. Okay im done.

----------

Hey everyone i made an appointment with the genius bar and they gave me a new one for free. He said since it was my first incident of the nature he would make an exception. Im so happy.

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Leewalker19 said:
New or refurb?

The guy told me it was new and it feels new but it could be refurbished. I'm just happy I didn't have to pay anything.

If the serial number begins with 5K it is a bog indicator it's a refurb. Refurbs are fine though infact I'm using a refurb to write this now.

Leewalker19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
St.Louis
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

If the serial number begins with 5K it is a bog indicator it's a refurb. Refurbs are fine though infact I'm using a refurb to write this now.

It begins with a QR so I guess it's new.

Leewalker19

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 8, 2011
St.Louis
+1 Good for you man.

Thanks man. This is just one example why I love apple. He didn't have to do that, but he did. I'm very appreciative. Now ima make sure this one stays in good shape until the 6 comes out next yr.

On another note I definitely can't wait for iOS 5. I'm so tired of waiting

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Lucky you congrats. I will say you sound like a good candidate for the Otterbox!

iPhone-4-otterbox.jpg

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
That case is way to thick. Lol. I like for ppl see how thin, and good looking the iPhone 4 is.

I use the otterbox defender I liked it at first but it was so big I stopped using it eventually and replaced it with a slimmer case. I recommend you don't get the defender. I use an "Extreme Case" and it is great though.

RotaryP7

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2011
Miami, FL
+1 on going to the Apple store. I had a customer come in and say he dropped his iPhone 4 in the toilet.. It was wet and the screen even cracked. He had no warranty or anything, went to the Apple store and they replaced it for free. It could of been a refrub. Who knows. Thing is, Apple can afford it. So check and see if they'll replace it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.