Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Meatman, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Meatman macrumors newbie

Hey,
    I had a question about copying applications.
    I have a macbook pro running the newest snow leopard and I just got a mac mini with Lion. I wanted to copy some of my applications like pages and word as I am using this mini for school. I don't want to erase anything off my MBP but I don't want to have to buy the applications again as I have already paid for them. I tried grabbing the app pages and transferring it to the mini, all I got when I tried to run it was a error message saying it could not open or something like that.
    Any ideas on what I can do?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

If you bought them from the App Store, just sign in to the same account and redownload them for free.

3. Meatman thread starter macrumors newbie

I bought the disk version, and the mini doesn't have a cd drive.
    Also, does anyone know if the "migration" would cause you to lose all of the info on the old computer? I would assume so but I am not sure.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Using the migration should not alter the source/old computer in any way. You could use Mac OS X's CD Sharing feature. Its in the Sharing preference pane.

5. agentphish macrumors 65816

agentphish

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1777?viewlocale=en_US
    Explains how to use drive sharing. Your best option if all you care about is getting iWork installed or other apps from a CD.

Migration assistant is a good option but it will copy everything you have on your old user account on the old computer.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Why is it that this logic is applied to computer software, and not other things? Now, Apple has granted your wish with the new App Store policy, but you bought discs, and that's a different licensing agreement. You bought a disc for installing software on one computer. That's it. You got what you paid for. Putting it on another computer violates the agreement, which you probably had to check when you installed it.

But, I'd love to apply that logic to other things! I bought a new car, but I don't want to buy a second car, since I already paid for the first one...

7. Meatman thread starter macrumors newbie

I disagree, if you bought a cd you should be able to play it anywhere you want right? Why should I have to pay for something after I already bought it?

8. greganpace macrumors regular

The car analogy doesn't work. It is like saying I just bought a car but they say I can only drive it in a 1 mile radius of my home. You should be able to use something that you paid for however you want.

9. chown33 macrumors 604

Read the license agreement that came with each piece of software. Some licenses allow you to install and use it on multiple computers in the same household. Some licenses allow you to install on a desktop and a laptop, if they aren't used concurrently.

Why do people assume that all licenses are the same? They're not, and you have to read the license to see what's allowed.

10. Meatman thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize that but I still think if you buy it you should be able to use it on whatever you want. I was able to port everything over via migration anyways, Thanks everyone!

11. snberk103 macrumors 603

Yeah, well you can "think" whatever you want, but you'd still be wrong. Software is covered by copyright law, and cars are hardware. What you've done is wrong, but.... hey - I'm not going to change your mind. So, please don't post back and try and justify yourself.

Ironically, you've screwed yourself in any case. If you had done a little research, you could have bought the same software for cheaper than the disk version, and installed it on multiple systems, no hassles. But - you've paid more for it, and you've had to spend time hacking it, and you've had the opportunity to listen to my sanctimonious lecturing. By my reasoning, karma is about balanced.

12. Meatman thread starter macrumors newbie

I can die happy now knowing you are satisfied, thank you.

13. Meatman, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

Meatman thread starter macrumors newbie

"You transferred over an app and violated your user agreement?"
    Derp

Attached Files:

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Yeah, I know it isn't a direct analogy. But, the logic is just as good as the case at hand, assuming the license is for one computer.

Your last statement is way too general. Please don't buy a gun.

15. greganpace macrumors regular

Hahaha... that was funny... I like that.