Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by FLAMINGPINECONE, Dec 11, 2011.

1. FLAMINGPINECONE macrumors newbie

I got a Macbook a few days ago. It had Tiger 10.4.11 on it. I was trying to get it to install Snow Leopard from a external disc and somewhere down the line my computer froze up. I manually turned it off and when I turned it back on I got a kernel panic error.

Ok, fine. I'll do a fresh install. "Mac OS X cannot be installed" oh yeah Tiger-Leopard-Snow Leopard yeah I need my Mac tommorow and I don't have the patience to wait on shipping discs.

I erase my drive and still get it saying it cannot loud the disc. HELP?

Specs: Macbook
    2.0 Core 2 Duo
    2.5 Gig Ram (it had 1 Gig, I upgraded)

Could it be hardware related?

Any ideas? I have a Windows box right now, so any solutions cannot be "Go into Mac and ______" as I don't have one.

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

I think your going to have to go to leopard first, regardless if you cleared the disk or not..I could be wrong though.

3. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What do you mean you tried to install Snow Leopard from an external disc? If you have the SL retail DVD, you can install from that by inserting it and holding down the C key on boot.

4. FLAMINGPINECONE thread starter macrumors newbie

I have a disc from a friend. I dont know if it will work being it says for the Macbook Pro. Both times it tells me it cannot install.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That disc will not work. That disc is designed to work only with the model it shipped with. You need a retail disc, not a gray restore disc.

6. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

As already said, you have a system restore disk.
    Every Mac comes with a restore disk. It can install the OS ONLY on the make/model of Mac that it came with. It can not work on any other Mac.

You need the retail Snow Leopard install disk. They will work on any intel-based Mac. They cost $29.

You can also get a Lion install USB drive for $29.

With a working Mac (if you have a friend with one) you could buy Lion from the app store and make your own install disc.

You could also got to a physical store (Apple, Best Buy, etc) and buy an install disc.