Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
I had this idea... I thought, upload music to Google Music. Then download whatever music you want to iPhone so you can listen to it without an internet connection, then change it up periodically whenever I want, without connecting my phone to iTunes, being that now the music is the only thing left making have to do that. It backs up automatically through my WiFi connection at home.

So far no luck. Does anyone know how I can do this. Is this even possible yet? Even if I have to use something different from Google Music, is there a way to make this basic idea to work?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys give.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
I know that $25 a year isn't a lot. But I was really hoping for something like Google music...free. I really don't have a lot of money right now.

This is where I got my info:
http://www.apple.com/icloud/features/

What about some one of these Apps available in the App store. Has anyone tried these? Do they work?:
1: GoMusic for Google Music
2: gMusic A Google Music player

Both of them appear to have the ability to download to your iDevice. The first one even shows a picture of a song downloading and it looks like it has a very similar layout to iTunes Match. I would just much rather pay $1 or $2 one time then pay $24.99 every year...I didn't see a limit on iTunes Match, and if that means that if you have enough music it is technically cheaper...then for me, the Google Music is still cheaper. Because I could never actually have the use of 20,000 song storage data bass, I couldn't get anywhere close. I am having trouble keeping up with my own Song Database at just over 2,000.

Last edited:

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
I downloaded the gMusic. It had great reviews, the other, everyone was saying, "It's Ok..." and stuff like that.

I will let you all know how it turns out.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I downloaded the gMusic. It had great reviews, the other, everyone was saying, "It's Ok..." and stuff like that.

I will let you all know how it turns out.

gMusic is fantastic. I love it. My only gripe (and it's not the app's fault) is that every time you upload something new you have to go in and refresh your track list within the app.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
I know that $25 a year isn't a lot. But I was really hoping for something like Google music...free. I really don't have a lot of money right now.

I have both services and I prefer iTunes Match over Google Music (and actually stopped using Google Music the day iTunes Match launched).

With Google Music I had to upload my 3,000+ tracks to a Google Server (took forever and I have a 25Mbps Down/5Mbps Up internet connection), iTunes Match scanned my library and out of my 3,000+, I only had to upload 75 tracks that were not matched (live tracks and demo songs).

With an added bonus, iTunes Matched upgraded all of my 128k track sot 256k.

Their are still a few bugs here and there, but over I think its well worth the $25 year fee.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I have both services and I prefer iTunes Match over Google Music (and actually stopped using Google Music the day iTunes Match launched).

With Google Music I had to upload my 3,000+ tracks to a Google Server (took forever and I have a 25Mbps Down/5Mbps Up internet connection), iTunes Match scanned my library and out of my 3,000+, I only had to upload 75 tracks that were not matched (live tracks and demo songs).

With an added bonus, iTunes Matched upgraded all of my 128k track sot 256k.

Their are still a few bugs here and there, but over I think its well worth the $25 year fee.

I am just curious. You had all your tracks uploaded. The upload times seemed to be the only critique of google music. So you were done with the "ad" part, why switch? It's not like you would ever have to wait to upload those tracks again, right? If you download anything new, the uploader knows (assuming you told it) what folders to keep an eye on and things are uploaded seemlessly, without being noticed. I don't disagree that uploading thousands of tracks takes a long time, but after that's over, what makes match strictly better?

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
I am just curious. You had all your tracks uploaded. The upload times seemed to be the only critique of google music. So you were done with the "ad" part, why switch? It's not like you would ever have to wait to upload those tracks again, right? If you download anything new, the uploader knows (assuming you told it) what folders to keep an eye on and things are uploaded seemlessly, without being noticed. I don't disagree that uploading thousands of tracks takes a long time, but after that's over, what makes match strictly better?

absolutely nothing :) or maybe just higher bitrate if ur itunes library was crappy quality to begin with.

Btw I uploaded my 2900 song library using google media manager and I really don't understand all the bashing that says its slow. I'm on cable modem and my upload is 5mbit. My upload was done within 24 hours. Really not that long

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
absolutely nothing :) or maybe just higher bitrate if ur itunes library was crappy quality to begin with.

Btw I uploaded my 2900 song library using google media manager and I really don't understand all the bashing that says its slow. I'm on cable modem and my upload is 5mbit. My upload was done within 24 hours. Really not that long

Mine wasn;t, although I got google music running day 1 of beta (well maybe not that early, but it was months ago). 3000 songs took me about 70-80 hours to upload. So, not great. Thing is, after that's done, uploading an album is quick.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
If you can afford an iPhone (and a $30 a month data plan), then you can afford $25 one time per year. I bet you spent $25 on eating out this past week and thought nothing of it.

I'd like to add there's nothing wrong for alternative solutions I just don't like it when people pull the "I own Apple products but I'm too poor to spend another penny" lines, which are BS.

Last edited:

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
gMusic is fantastic. I love it. My only gripe (and it's not the app's fault) is that every time you upload something new you have to go in and refresh your track list within the app.
I like Gmusic too. It works much better than the clunky web interface. I'm guessing Google probably won't release an official music app for ios though.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
Can afford one if you budget, I make barly over 700 a month.

If you can afford an iPhone (and a $30 a month data plan), then you can afford $25 one time per year. I bet you spent $25 on eating out this past week and thought nothing of it.

I'd like to add there's nothing wrong for alternative solutions I just don't like it when people pull the "I own Apple products but I'm too poor to spend another penny" lines, which are BS.

it is no longer $30 a month. At least not here in California when I got my plan set up. There were two when I got my plan set up:
$15 mo. for less data
$25 mo. for more data
...in a nutshell

And that change from 30 a month to 15 a month + the deals on 3Gs + Lots and Lots of saving = my ability to get an iPhone and use it. Now I'm even making less money and still need to save up to buy a used engine to put into my car with a bad rod bearing and a blown head gasket. So I am squeezing every drop of blood out of my turnip.

Not to mention that I never said I couldn't afford it. It's just that, if I can prevent myself from having another rotating bill. That would be great. And I am considering the possibility that there is something cheaper and just as good out there. I am doing my research and shopping around. For all I know it wont be exactly what it sounds like, and might be useless to me. Sure cancel it before next year, but I'm still out $25 now, rather than a Buck or Two.

Last edited:

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
First assesment on gMusic

Sorry for that rant back there...

So, gMusic:
I like it...so far. As all of you who read the first posting know, I'm after the offline play this app features. The way it works though...it still uses internet for the album art. And if I am away from WiFi that means Data. My concerns are:
1: How much data will it use
2: The fact that there isn't an option within the app to not use data.

All kinds of apps out there give you the option to only use Wifi, some don't give you a choice and will pop up with a notice saying you don't have a Wifi connection if you try to run it on Data...I have a racing game like that.

If I turn off my data I won't get emails while it is off. That is not good when you are looking for a job to make more money. So, if it uses a miniscule amount of data GOOD, if not, BAD. On that note, does anyone have ideas on how I can gauge the amount of data this app uses to download the album art.

BerGaur

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 12, 2011
Inside my head
I'm an idiot!

Oh my GOD. I cannot believe I didn't notice this. When you plug your iPhone into your computer, there is an option for WiFi sync. That would work being that MOST of the time I have WiFi I'm at home. There aren't a lot of hotspots throughout this town...

I rightly feel so stupid.

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
Wi-Fi sync only works on your home network. It will not "wi-fi" sync when you are on a network somewhere in town, or a friend's network, etc. Both the computer and the phone must be on the SAME network for it to work.

As for the $25, why not this weekend go ask a couple of neighbors if you can mow their lawns for $10 because you need a couple of extra bucks. You do 3 neighbors and you got iTunes Match for a year (and $5 for a healthy Subway meal to reward yourself).

Or if you are minimum wage employee (doubtful), ask your boss for 3 extra hours because you have a bill you need to get paid. You'd be surprised, most bosses will accommodate such a trivial one time request.

Or you can do what I do. Save your loose change. Then after a month or two go to a coinstar machine, pick the iTunes gift certificate option, and then use it toward iTunes Match (it is billed via iTunes account).

I see your point about having something to save up for and not making a lot of money, but if you want something you can find a way to get it. Your budget is flexible enough that if you skip a meal or two out you can come up with the extra cash.

I could understand not wanting to get into a $10+ a month or some other monthly plan that keeps renewing. For iTunes Match, at $25 a year, that's literally $2.08 per month and it will make your life SO MUCH easier. If you won't spend $2 a month to make your life easier, then, well, you get what you get.

I know what it is like to save up for stuff and "feeling" broke but if you really honestly think about it, your limiting belief about what you can or can't afford is wrong. I know SO many people who often say they won't spend X on this or that, but then go out and spend WAY MORE on something far less useful and important to them and not think twice (eating out or going drinking are the most egregious examples). If you just stop to think about that and consider it, you'd see that your life would be better if you prioritize better.

And for the record, there isn't anything else out there that would be as seamless and beneficial to you as iTunes match. What you'll have instead is some half assed solutions that semi-do what you want but you're going to have to spend a lot of time troubleshooting and stress getting frustrated over.

All I'm saying is it'd just be easier to spend an hour or two on a lazy Sunday morning mowing some lawns and paying for iTunes Match. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.