Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nadasive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Henderson, Nevada
Hi, its me again I know ive been posting stuff about my mac and I was doing something then i turned off my mac to go get something to eat and when i came i turned it on and the screen goes black and (in windows style) it says Windows System File not found or somethin like that... WINDOWS???
So i put in one of my XP cd's and it rejected it, then i put a vista ultimate cd and it accepted as if i was installing windows vista on the comp.... I dont want that !!!! what do I do ???

lamina

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2006
Niagara
So you turned your computer off, and when you came back, the screen was blank... Isn't that normal?

Windows System File not found... can you tell us the exact error message?

Were you running Windows before you turned your computer off?

Your posts need to be more coherent... use sentences and paragraphs to make it easier for us to read.

We need more information to solve your problem. Please give us the exact error message, and tell us if you were in Windows or Mac OS before you got the message.

Nadasive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Henderson, Nevada
Error Message is:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>/system32/hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file..

did i mention that this is happening on my macbook pro??? yea... MAC not windows

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
more details would help...

were you installing windows on a bootcamp partition?
I don't have any other explanation why a Mac would ask for a Windows cd other than that...or maybe you have set your startup disk to the Bootcamp partition and your Windows is corrupted...

anyways more info would help...

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Error Message is:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<windows root>/system32/hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file..

did i mention that this is happening on my macbook pro??? yea... MAC not windows

it seems like your startup disk is set to the bootcamp partition...
and yes this can happen I guess regardless whether your notebook is a mac or not...if you have a corrupted windows version on your startup drive it will ask for a windows install cd.

Nadasive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Henderson, Nevada
i was messing with the start-up disk thing and i clicked on my dvd drive ( vista ulti) but then i realized what it would do so i just exit it by clicking red button... I didn't press save or anything else. and now its starting from the windows vista ultimate installation disc...

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
what you need to do is press "alt", this will bring you to the bootloader and select the Macintosh HD to boot from.
then you will be in OS X....try backing up your bootcamp partition to a dvd or ext. HD and reinstall (repair) your windows.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
i was messing with the start-up disk thing and i clicked on my dvd drive ( vista ulti) but then i realized what it would do so i just exit it by clicking red button... I didn't press save or anything else. and now its starting from the windows vista ultimate installation disc...

so you don't have a bootcamp partition???

well then just eject the dvd and your mac should boot from the only startup partition available. your macintosh hd.

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
How can I make it start normally again??

Do what the above poster said. IF you hold alt/option when you start up it will give you an option of what disc to startup in.
Select your OSX startup and correct the problem from there.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
when or where do i press 'alt'???

press alt when your mac makes the startup "gong" and keep it pressed till the bootloader appears but if you have ejected the dvd and don't have a bootcamp partition your mac should boot into your os x automatically.

edit: someone was quicker:)

Nadasive

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Henderson, Nevada
Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much man
you wont believe how important files I had on the this macbook

in other words its worked......

you saved my life :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):apple::apple::apple::apple:

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much man
you wont believe how important files I had on the this macbook

in other words its worked......

you saved my life :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):apple::apple::apple::apple:

you're welcome...glad I could help;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.