Help1?@!@!@! [missing applications after removing from Dock]

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by SolidStone, Jan 5, 2011.

1. SolidStone macrumors newbie

Idk where to post this. But I need urgent help.
    I shall explain my problem.

Um, a few weeks ago[2 wks to be exact], i went overseas. Upon coming back, I on-ed my imac and found something very weird. There were icons at the bottom of my screen appearing to be a '?'. At that point of time I didn't know how to make em appear normal, thus i moved em to the thrash. I tried to open it earlier when it was a "?" but it wun open. However, what I didn't know and which was a careless mistake, i moved my microsoft office[entourage,word,ppt, i moved em into one folder] into the thrash as it appeared to be a question mark. However, when i checked the thrash, i saw no such folder... How do i fix this?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You likely deleted the Dock aliases to the Trash, which removed them from the Dock. Drag the application icon to the Dock and it will reappear.

3. SolidStone, Jan 5, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2011

SolidStone thread starter macrumors newbie

What do u mean? The entire file is gone. I cannot find it using finder and spotlight.

Edit: The file was not removed from the dock but i moved it into thrash..

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Sounds like you had some dock issues and you for some reason moved your MS office programs to trash.

If you emptied the trash, which is what this sounds like, then for all intents and purposes your programs are gone. Just reinstall office from your office disk.

You may also be experiencing hard drive problems. Run a check on it, with the Disk Utility.

5. SolidStone thread starter macrumors newbie

If i were to re-install, are my files gone? And i didn't empty the thrash... old contents are still inside which i emptied at the same time i emptied my MS prog

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No. You will be re-installing an application, not overwriting documents (files).