Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedda

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2003
Great resources here already.

One book for slightly more advanced coders to read is

Code Complete
McConnell, ISBN 0735619670

Interestingly enough, it is actually published by the Microsoft press. This aside, its a fantastic 'bible' for programmers of any language and provides some great things for amateur and professional programmers alike to to think about.

zosoeffex70

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2004
Durham, NC
kingjr3 said:
Programming in Objective - C
Kochan, ISBN 0672325861

Say, I'm new to programming of any sort and wanted to learn C/C++, Java or Python languages and do it on my Mac, but I'm a little lost as to how to use these languages for programming on the Mac. Where do I find the right, preferable FREE, software to do that?

Thanks!

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
zosoeffex70 said:
Say, I'm new to programming of any sort and wanted to learn C/C++, Java or Python languages and do it on my Mac, but I'm a little lost as to how to use these languages for programming on the Mac. Where do I find the right, preferable FREE, software to do that?

Thanks!

You already have it for two of the three - a text editor and a compiler. Not sure if there is a Python compiler installed. Start with some of the resources and do some research and then ask more general questions in this forum, just not this thread since we try to keep it informational rather than question/answer...

zosoeffex70

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2004
Durham, NC
kingjr3 said:
Start with some of the resources and do some research and then ask more general questions in this forum,
just not this thread since we try to keep it informational rather than question/answer...

The Description of the Forum reads thus:

Mac Programming
Questions and answers about non web programming related technologies (i.e. XCode, C, C++, even Java, etc...)

Where then do I go to ask more specific questions?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
zosoeffex70 said:
The Description of the Forum reads thus:

Mac Programming
Questions and answers about non web programming related technologies (i.e. XCode, C, C++, even Java, etc...)

Where then do I go to ask more specific questions?

That is correct, glad you have mastered reading...However, at the top of the forum category page you will see a big ol' New Thread button. Click that, its there for a reason - ask your question and then marvel at the speed of the response of the community. Burying your question in an semi-unrelated thread is a good way NOT to get a response. Of course do the usual search first and then post if you can't find an answer. Many on this board, including myself, are bothered when a topic is discussed multiple times...

The point of this thread is simply provide a resource list (books,websites,etc) that you are on your own to read and decide what information is pertinent to you. That is why its stickied.

zosoeffex70

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2004
Durham, NC
kingjr3 said:
That is correct, glad you have mastered reading...However, at the top of the forum category page you will see a big ol' New Thread button. Click that, its there for a reason - ask your question and then marvel at the speed of the response of the community. Burying your question in an semi-unrelated thread is a good way NOT to get a response. Of course do the usual search first and then post if you can't find an answer. Many on this board, including myself, are bothered when a topic is discussed multiple times...

The point of this thread is simply provide a resource list (books,websites,etc) that you are on your own to read and decide what information is pertinent to you. That is why its stickied.

My mistake. Misuse of this thread - it's a learning experience --- I now bow out...

C

CarlosC

I'm wondering if a MODerator can clean up this thread a tad?

Maybe grab all the links and place them in the first post (removing the other links). Could make it faster for visitors to get the resource infomation they need.

Anyways, http://www.xcodeforums.com/ seems to be down at the time I checked (a few minutes ago)

Site to add:
http://www.idevapps.com/ (sister-site to iDevGames.com)

For books, make sure you are pointing to the second edition of Aaron's book (Cocoa Programming for Mac OS X)

I would also recommend adding the link to Apple's Mac-game-dev mailing list.

Regards,

Carlos C
http://www.idevgames.com

Buschmaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 12, 2006
Minnesota
I just bought that Hillegrass book from Amazon. I figured some non-web programming could get me ready for my computer science major :)

Fairly

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2006
Cambridge UK
http://cocoaprogramming.net/

Frankly, having read the most of them, I can't understand how anyone can get by without the above book. Or why anyone would need any of the other books. And as for Objective-C, read Apple's documentation. Takes a couple of hours. You don't need to buy a book for that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.