Helpfull Hints for Photo Website

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by JackT06, Nov 4, 2009.

1. JackT06 macrumors 6502

JackT06

Has anyone got any tips for me before i start making my new website for a school project, Its based on the schools photography.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Does this project require anything from you? Use of certain web technologies or software? What is your design/development skill set? Need to know your situation better to answer you. There's existing web apps that will do everything you need for a photo web site, but if the purpose of the project is to learn coding, then that won't teach you very much. So define your situation better so we can better provide advice.

3. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

Well our website has to be done by hand so that means no web apps :(. I have made 3 or 4 websites before. Which means i know html and i good chunk of CSS. However we are aloud to host the pictures on website eg flicr so it doesnt take all our webspace up :D.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

Spend some time planning what you want to accomplish:
    1. Think about how people may use the site. What purpose is the site serving?
    2. How should you organize these photographs?
    3. How do you want to store the images, e.g. database, simple folder structure, XML, etc.?
    4. What web 2.0 features might you want to implement e.g., commenting on individual photographs (and would you need to create an account to do so or allow guest to make comments), sharing the photographs, allow people to upload photographs, etc.?

Thinking about these questions and answering these questions will help you know what kinds of things you need to focus on and figure out what you have time to develop (not sure what your time line is). Unless absolutely everything has to be hand coded, then for some things, like using a lightbox script, it's best to use a pre-made one rather than spend a ton of time trying to get it to work across browsers and still ending up with something not quite as good. It's doable, I made my own, but it's a time consuming thing.

5. JackT06 thread starter macrumors 6502

JackT06

Thanks for all that, I just looked at light box seems good for what i would want. Does anyone know why when i click on the picture it fills the hole screen up?? How do i reduce it?

6. nuxx macrumors member

nuxx

Are you referring to the actual image or the opaque background? The background is meant to fill the entire screen although I do believe you can adjust the opacity.

The image size depends on.... err ... the size of your image and/or the values for the width and height attributes of the img tag for that particular image.