helping a friend...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Flatsfisher, Jul 29, 2012.

1. Flatsfisher macrumors member

They are having problems with a (i think) 2007 imac with 2.16 ghz for 2 duo and 1gb of ram. Recently they are having loading problems were it could take up to 10 minutes just to open up safari or any program for that matter. Its been going on for about a week or so. They are also using snow leopard. I am thinking the best place to start would be to upgrade the ram? Any help would be great! Also what time type of ram would they need?

2. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

If it's taking 10 minutes to open up a safari web page, I think ram isnt the problem. Either they have extremely slow internet or computer is clogged with open applications and space restriction. Clean the computer up and check the internet connection

If do need ram, which yes will help, here is a link:http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac/Intel_Core_2_Duo

3. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Safari was probably the wrong term to use lol. Its any application even just clicking the apple in the top left can take minutes. Its not an internet issue. I am thinking maybe just a clean install?

4. csjcsj macrumors member

csjcsj

what OS is on the machine - newer OS require more memory.

5. RobinHood5 macrumors regular

This should solve your problem. If this does not work it could be a failing hard drive.

6. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

That was my first guess. If the is the case should they go ssd? Also I was reading that the max ram in that computer is 2gb is that true?

----------

OS is snow leopard but they have had that for a while

7. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Could be a disk drive failing ... possibly needing multiple reads to get one error-free cluster read off of the disk. That would really slow loading down for all programs.

-howard

8. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Tried to do a reinstall but its saying 7 hours. I am guessing its a bad hdd?

9. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Also could someone point me in the right direction of replacing the hard drive? Like what would be best as well as installation? Or is it something I should leave for apple to do? I have done in in my MacBooks but never an iMac.

10. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

In order to test the hdd he or you should run Apple Hardware Test, this is only on the original discs that were shipped with the computer and no it cannot be downloaded. If he has those Google "Apple Hardware Test" for instructions and run the test in Extended Mode at least 2-3x because sometimes it doesn't pick up errors.

Another thing to try is boot from a clone or a OS X disc (not from another Mac) and run Disk Utility and run Repair Disk, if it finds errors then that means it's damaged and needs to replaced. If the machine is an early 2007 it will be white plastic exterior and if it's a late 2007 model it will be the first aluminum chasis. Both can be upgraded to 4-6GB of RAM, OWC (www.macsales.com) sells a kit.

From your description I concur on the HD but it would be wise to do some tests to be sure. Before ANYTHING is done though make sure he's backing up and the backup works or he will lose EVERYTHING!

11. simsaladimbamba

If it is a white iMac, installation is a bit easier than with the Aluminium iMacs (introduced in 8/2008), but for guides look here.
    As for what HDD, any 3.5" S-ATA HDD will suffice, even a 2.5" S-ATA HDD or SSD will fit, I outfitted my 2007 Alu iMac with an SSD some months ago.

12. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

13. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

If it's a Late 2006 2.16 GHz Core 2 Duo then it can take 3 GB of RAM - I have the same model.

If you install 2x 2GB sticks it will only address the first 3 GB of RAM, so the best combination is 1 GB + 2GB in the two slots.

14. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

I have an extra 2gb laying around from my 2011 mac mini will that work in this imac? Also did the tests and nothing showed up.

15. flatfoot macrumors 65816

The RAM is not compatible (DDR3 vs. DDR2).

I'm not sure whether Apple Hardware Test would detect a faulty HDD, but I, too, would say that it is almost definitely the HDD failing.

Opposed to what someone said above, installing 2x 2GB makes more sense than 1GB + 2GB, since 2x 2GB will give you dual-channel speeds.

16. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

17. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

18. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Ok just found out its now stuck at the white screen with apple logo and wont move any further. I am about positive its the hdd. Any reccomendations on what they should get for this computer?

Thanks!

19. flatfoot macrumors 65816

20. RedCroissant Suspended

That's a good deal, but Best Buy has it for $10 cheaper, and if you can pick it up in the store you can save on shipping. Or you can just order it and select store-pick up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+-+Barracuda+500GB+Internal+Hard+Drive+for+Desktops/8294632.p?id=1172880157923&skuId=8294632

Or you can go with the 1TB model which is surprisingly only $20 more than the Best Buy one or $10 more than the one you selected from OWC.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Seagate+-+Barracuda+1TB+Internal+Serial+ATA+Hard+Drive/8490625.p?id=1186003683968&skuId=8490625

I also recommend Geek squad if you're unsure about being able to do the swap yourself. I would also pick up a docking station so that you can clone that drive to the new one and not have to pay the fees for that service.

21. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Never thought to do geeksquad thats a great idea. It would prob be cheaper than going to apple. I will let you all know if it works.
    Thanks for all the help!

22. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Add some RAM, it's cheap these days. I'd go to -at least- 2gb. 4gb would be better, IF your friend is planning on keeping the iMac another year or two.

Also, check to see how "filled" the hard drive is. You should have about 10% of the total capacity always "open", for this is used by the invisible swap files, etc.

Also, after 5 years, I'll bet the drive is SERIOUSLY fragmented. There are defragmenters that can clean this up, but they're all "pay for".

A cheap way to clean up the drive is:
    1. Use CarbonCopyCloner to "dupe" the contents to an empty drive or backup partition (your friend has a backup, right?), then
    2. Boot from the backup clone, and re-initialize the internal drive (yes, clean it right off)
    3. Next, RE-CLONE the contents of the backup back to the internal. The files will all be copied contiguously, and automatically de-fragmented.

It wouldn't hurt to repair permissions as well.
    You might try downloading the free "MacJanitor" and running all the tasks.

23. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Please do some scouting at your local Best Buy. Many of them keep at most 1 person that knows the first thing about Macs. My parents brought them a Mac with a network connection issue and the absolute only thing they knew how to do was restore it from the recovery disks. And they didn't even bother to take a backup first.

24. Flatsfisher thread starter macrumors member

Problem is it wont even boot up now thought nor go into safe mode