Helping understand management of Views (& release)

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by dantastic, Mar 8, 2011.

1. dantastic macrumors 6502

dantastic

I just came across this *problem* as I created a UIView with a date picker and a uitoolbar. I'd have the view slide up and down the screen. Not exactly sure how to go about this I found some code on dem internets and did what any budding coder does, cmd+c, cmd+v.

After some tuning to suit my needs the code works perfectly.

Being a good memory citizen I went on the usual quest to make sure there were no lose ends when I started asking myself - Why does this work???

Code:
    @interface {
    	UIDatePicker *datePicker;
    	UIView *pickerView;
    }
    @property (nonatomic, retain) UIDatePicker *datePicker;
    @property (nonatomic, retain) UIView *pickerView;

- (void) loadDatePicker {

datePicker = [[UIDatePicker alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(0, 44, 320, 250)];  
    	[datePicker addTarget:self
    	               action:@selector(changeDate:) forControlEvents:UIControlEventValueChanged];
    	UIToolbar *toolBar = [[UIToolbar alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(0, 0, 320, 44)];
    	pickerView = [[UIView alloc] initWithFrame:CGRectMake(0, 480, 320, 260)];

[pickerView addSubview:toolBar];
    	[pickerView addSubview:datePicker];
    	[toolBar release];
    	[datePicker release];
    	[self.view addSubview:pickerView];
    	[pickerView release];

So far so good, I get what is happening here. I clean up all the objects I allocate and I simply dump a view into the subview. In my understanding, the contents of this subview should be somewhat orphaned from the objects that was used to create them? Here's what I don't get:
    Code:
    - (void) changeDate:(id)sender {
    	// should this not crash my app??
    	cellLabel.text =  [datePicker date];	
    }

If I have already released 'datePicker', howcome the above works?
    What is the correct way of doing this?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

This is the problem with copy/pasting code: you have no idea what you have, how it works and have learnt nothing. The answer, in this case, is that when you add a view to another view using addSubview the superview retains it's children.

3. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

Ok, so even though released the reference to 'datePicker' is still perfectly valid until I call my function to clean up the subviews:

Code:
    		if (subview.tag == 78) {
    			for (UIView *subSubview in [subview subviews]) {
    				[subSubview removeFromSuperview];
    			}
    			[subview removeFromSuperview];
    		}

Will this properly get rid of the references for me or do I have to do anything else as well?

Should I be releasing where I am or should I release when I remove the subviews?

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Removing the subview will cause the parent view to release it. If you have a variable pointing at it (and this release by the parent causes the retain count to drop to 0) then your pointer will end up pointing at freed memory: bad.

5. dantastic thread starter macrumors 6502

dantastic

Right, So I'm actually OK so.

I've an OK button that when called slides the uiview out of view and then removes all subviews. I don't reference any of these fellas again until a new instance of the entire viewcontroller is allocated.

Cheers mate!