Hemming pants without needle and thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikeyredk, Sep 4, 2009.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Mar 13, 2003
    I have a pair of pants which are too long way too long about 6 inches (no I cannot return them)

I don't have any experience with sewing is there a way I can hem these pants without sewing and making them look good.

Thanks in advance
  2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

Jul 6, 2007
    Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/ Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Stitch-witch, its an iron-on film like what is on the back of iron-on patches. You can do a decent job with it...

Or take them to a tailor.
  3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

Stich Witch. It's a tape-like stuff. Looks kinda like Teflon tape. Basically, you put some snips of the stuff between what you want "sewn" together, and steam-iron it. The stuff melts into a cloth super glue. Warning, it is permanent! Make sure you have your folds just right where you want them before you iron. Measure twice, cut once.

That's the permanent solution. A quick fix is Elmer's glue. Same concept, fold where you want the crease, use Elmer's (or just about any art-and-craft glue stick stuff), let it dry, and you're good till you wash it.

But needle-and-thread isn't that hard to master. Just use thread as close to the same color as the pants, and use a small stitch on the outside.
  4. heehee macrumors 68020

Jul 31, 2006
    Same country as Santa Claus
  5. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2009
    Staples. Haha. Kidding. But I'd probably just take them to a tailor. There are cheap ones out there that do a great job.
  6. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Jun 12, 2008
    Agreed, get them tailored... its under $10 and anything else looks ridiculous.
  7. grouper macrumors regular

Apr 28, 2007
    take them to a tailor, or find a family member/friend that could do it and beg (and then bake them cookies or something)
  8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

May 18, 2004
    in many places, dry cleaners have somebody who will hem pants and do minor repairs for reasonable fees
  9. Vster macrumors 6502

Jan 19, 2005
    Celina, TX
    +1 for Stitch-witch, my wife swears by that stuff. :D