Hemming pants without needle and thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikeyredk, Sep 4, 2009.

1. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

I have a pair of pants which are too long way too long about 6 inches (no I cannot return them)

I don't have any experience with sewing is there a way I can hem these pants without sewing and making them look good.

Thanks in advance

2. jackiecanev2 macrumors 65816

jackiecanev2

Wirelessly posted (BB 8900: BlackBerry8900/4.6.1.250 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/301)

Stitch-witch, its an iron-on film like what is on the back of iron-on patches. You can do a decent job with it...

Or take them to a tailor.

3. gilkisson macrumors 65816

gilkisson

Stich Witch. It's a tape-like stuff. Looks kinda like Teflon tape. Basically, you put some snips of the stuff between what you want "sewn" together, and steam-iron it. The stuff melts into a cloth super glue. Warning, it is permanent! Make sure you have your folds just right where you want them before you iron. Measure twice, cut once.

That's the permanent solution. A quick fix is Elmer's glue. Same concept, fold where you want the crease, use Elmer's (or just about any art-and-craft glue stick stuff), let it dry, and you're good till you wash it.

But needle-and-thread isn't that hard to master. Just use thread as close to the same color as the pants, and use a small stitch on the outside.

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

5. laughingperson5 macrumors 6502

Staples. Haha. Kidding. But I'd probably just take them to a tailor. There are cheap ones out there that do a great job.

6. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Agreed, get them tailored... its under $10 and anything else looks ridiculous.

7. grouper macrumors regular

take them to a tailor, or find a family member/friend that could do it and beg (and then bake them cookies or something)

8. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

in many places, dry cleaners have somebody who will hem pants and do minor repairs for reasonable fees

9. Vster macrumors 6502

+1 for Stitch-witch, my wife swears by that stuff. :D