Hence Vertical Dock vs Rain Design mStand

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mixart, Mar 15, 2017.

1. mixart macrumors member

2. Big Bad D macrumors regular

They are totally different concepts, so choice - as you have already answered your own question - is down to how you plan to use your MBP? Do you want to additionally use your MBP screen or not...

Personally I would choose neither. The MBP sits fine open and screen useable or clamshell shut under the LG 5K monitor.

3. Fishrrman macrumors G4

For that kind of money, I wouldn't choose -either- of them.
    I'd lay the MacBook on the desk, and be happy! ;)

4. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

I've used the mStand for a long time and am extremely happy with it. I do believe it reduces running temperatures, because it appears my CPU can hold a slightly higher turbo speed when placed on the mStand than on other surfaces (presumably because the thick piece of aluminum wicks heat away from the CPU and GPU?)

I also like how I can then better use my MBP side-by-side with an external display.

2017-03-16 17.09.39.jpg

5. camhabib macrumors regular

Another mStand user. If your desk vibrates at all from your typing or work, I'd highly suggest against it as the arm acts as a bit of a spring. Other than that though, I definitely enjoy it. Gives some storage and ventilation under the laptop, matches the finish well, and looks nice on the desk. Certainly a luxury piece though, as others have said, you'd be just as well served leaving your laptop on the desk.

6. mhunt407 macrumors newbie

mhunt407

Another vote for the mStand here too - it's a great height and even when working it's nice to have the second display for mail/iTunes etc.

7. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

Go with the mStand. You'll be able to reuse it for future laptops.

I owned the 1st gen Hengedock and I don't like the wear and tear on the ports from docking.