Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Hi all,

So after not being able to wait any longer for the next update to the MacBook Pro, I finally upgraded to a top-of-the-line 13" model, which I'm currently really enjoying using a vertical Henge Dock/external monitor setup.

So far the primary annoyance of the Henge Dock that I can see is the issue of sound. I like being able to make/receive phone calls from my MacBook when I'm at my desk, so I've kept a pair of Apple earbuds plugged into the Henge Dock's 3.5mm jack extension. The problem is that this prevents sound from being played through the MacBook's speakers.

I'm curious what kind of sound setup others have gone with while using the Henge Dock? My external monitor lacks speakers. Maybe a bluetooth/AirPlay soundbar is the way to go? And would I be able to output audio to a soundbar with my earbuds still plugged in?

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Take a look at USB-powered soundbars. They get both power and the signal from USB. That way you can leave your earbuds plugged in, and your soundbar can still play sound. One issue however is if you need the sound to come from multiple channels at once. I think it's an either/or situation with the Sound preference pane. You can only select one out put at a time. Maybe a 3rd party sound all can allow you to "mix" your outputs -OR- have hotkeys to allow you to switch quickly.

kazibole

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2015
Or, look for speakers that will plug into the 3.5 mm jack on the Macbook, and that also include a headphone jack (on the speakers) for when you need to use them.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
Or, look for speakers that will plug into the 3.5 mm jack on the Macbook, and that also include a headphone jack (on the speakers) for when you need to use them.
Ah, good point! My powered speakers that use the 3.5mm jack to plug into my iMac had their own headphone jack as well. Forgot that! My USB-powered sound bar has a headphone jack too...

NotJohnnyQuest

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2009
Thanks guys. I like the idea of not having to take up another USB port! But I worry about losing the microphone/inline control functionality of my Apple earbuds if I plug them in through external speakers.

I love the Henge Dock, but it definitely requires a little thought to get everything set up perfectly..

priitv8

macrumors 601
Jan 13, 2011
Estonia
I love the Henge Dock, but it definitely requires a little thought to get everything set up perfectly..
That is again one plus for Apple Thunderbolt Display. It has the webcam, mic and speakers built into the display, all connecting over single Thunderbolt link. I left the 3.5 audio cable totally out of the Henge Dock. Reading the forums, it also appears to be the most fragile of them connectors.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.