henge dock?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Afbar1114, Oct 9, 2012.

1. Afbar1114 macrumors 6502a

2. whiteonline macrumors 6502

whiteonline

A friend of mine has one. After seeing it in person, I wouldn't pay more than $25.
    It does the job, but that's about it. Definitely doesn't have the look/feel justifying the premium price tag.

3. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

im wondering if it is good it seems like a good idea. because i use my MBP at school and when i come home i can just dock it.

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

5. Agent-P, Oct 9, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012

Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I would recommend the BookArc stand by Twelve South instead. IMO it's much nicer looking and much better built. And you will still have access to all the ports on the MBP. Plus, it's cheaper than the dock you linked to.

6. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

The henge is a Dock the Book arc is a way to hold the computer.

7. thebritishguy macrumors member

I had the henge dock for my 13MBP, the single biggest issue I had was that the power cable had to be held in place with a Grub screw, this means its a PITA to take the power supply with you if you go out for the day.

i ended up buying a second power supply to overcome the problem

8. Afbar1114, Oct 10, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2012

Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i am planing on this anyways but over all how was it? am i allowed to use my own network cable?
    is there heating issues with it? i am going to try both i think and see what is better.

9. uhslax24 macrumors 6502

uhslax24

10. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

11. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am going to try this dock out and see how it works. it seems good in thought because it seems easy enough to just come home throw(place very gently) it on dock and be done with out having to worry about hooking up the display, power, sound, and usb hub.

12. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

Be interested to hear...I was also looking at the Henge dock

13. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am going to set it up tomorrow. i am also looking into getting a webcam and speakers so i dont need to worry about that. my planned set will be a usb hub so i can still use flash drives, one for webcam, and speakers. i need to figure out cables/wires since there will be alot. maybe tie them together to make it look neater.

14. Handsome Bacon macrumors regular

Handsome Bacon

Please keep us updated as I see a few of them used on eBay and have been tempted!

15. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

I started using one yesterday after waiting for their pathetically slow order processing and shipping (UGH). It does work, but take care in how you set it up. Go to their site and watch the quick setup video instead of following the printed instructions that come with the unit. This is key.

The printed instructions have you work a few cables all the way through the unit, connect them to the laptop, and then push everything back through the top side of the dock while connected. This doesn't work all that well, specially with things like mini-DP/Thunderbolt connectors.

Instead, follow the video. Hold the laptop in your lap, ports facing up. Drop the dock down in top of it, and from there start connecting everything up. Push all of the cables into place, all the way down and into the laptop. Then tighten the set screws in.

I'd recommend connecting all of the Henge-provided cables, even if you don't intend to use them initially. Having things like the USB cables already connected and in the dock makes it easier to add devices later.

jas

16. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Just installed everything but firewire. so far everything seems fine. it seems a lil tight but i may readjust wires if needed. took about 30 minutes. much cleaner looking. although i wish it had a usb port or two in front of it instead of it coming out the back. maybe a thought for other products.

Install:
    Make sure MBP is off.
    1. Flip MBP over to ports
    2. Place dock on MBP
    3. Starting from audio port place in MBP and screw in place
    4. Repeat step 3 for each connection
    5. Make sure each connection is secure before moving on to next.
    6. If needed you can use your own network cable but make sure to remove clip.
    7. Use only Apple Thunderbolt/display cable as the cut out is only made for this.
    8. Hook up and test everything to make sure it works.
    9. ENJOY!!!

I maybe getting a USB hub to hook up other items but im seeing if I need it. My desk looks much cleaner and when I go to school i just take it out and im good to go.

Notes:
    You may want to buy another charger to have it hook up to
    If its not powered on you will need to undock to power on and redock

17. Afbar1114 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got my from amazon took a day with overnight shipping only costing $4. and with no tax the and 1 day shipping it cost less then it would have with tax

18. jasonvp macrumors 6502a

jasonvp

Yeah, I wish I'd checked AMZN before ordering directly from Henge-Docks.

Enjoy. It definitely cleans the desk up nicely and it does work quite well.

jas

19. g8rduc macrumors newbie

g8rduc

Just a FYI - They will replace your unit for free (once) if you crack one of the ports. Most common is the Thunderbolt port. Do not overtighten. And if you can, use an Apple Thunderbolt adapter. That's what the dock was designed to be used with. There will be times when the MBP doesn't want to sit properly and you'll have to readjust the cables. It can be aggravating.

20. iScreamSanWitch macrumors member

A second this. I used one for a while now on my ageing Macbook.. it takes a few tries to align the cables correctly, but one you do you're all set. Although since the capacity of the battery plummeted I rarely take it out of the housing anymore..