Henge Docks rMBP 13" dock

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by philxor, Jul 14, 2014.

1. philxor macrumors regular

So after a long wait these are available now and I received mine today. I opted for the metal one and not the plastic one. First of all it's a beautiful piece of work and the metal one has some substantial heft to it. It differs a bit from their previous MBA docks because the power is now on the bottom along with the majority of the other ports so it can be made permanent, which is nice.

The connections are all held in with set screws and they include a screwdriver, so you can get the alignment of everything perfect. It also allows you to remove cables you don't need, for instance I removed one of the display port cables and the audio cable. It's just less stuff you need to align when putting it in the doc.

Anyways here are the pictures which should explain most things but if you have questions let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MrX8503 macrumors 68020

I was the early adopter of their first henge dock, which was plastic. It was clean and sleek, but it had some shortcomings. You had to bring your own cables and the screws that hold them in place damages the cables.

Does the new henge dock come with its own cables? If so that's a big improvement. I don't like damaging cables from my ACD that I can't replace.

3. philxor thread starter macrumors regular

They come with their own cables for Display Port but not Thunderbolt. So if you are using Thunderbolt you still have to insert your own and the set screw does press on the cable housing a bit. I don't think you would damage anything unless you got a little overzealous.

4. robo456 macrumors 6502

robo456

You still have to use your own AC adapter, correct?

--rob

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow that looks great. I'm definitely tempted.

6. Neodym macrumors 68000

Neodym

What about heat dissipation under load? It's already impaired by clamshell mode - but with an additional hull around the hot left side (power-in)?! Colour me sceptic...