Hep me decide which iMac to get

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hjalte, Dec 23, 2014.

1. hjalte macrumors member

I was down to look at two imac's 27". I couldn't see them side by side unfortantely, but I got a good look at both machines.

The 5k seemed a little laggy, when moving windows around. I am not sure which graphics processor it had, but I am pretty sure it was the base model.

After looking at the 5k model, I could easily see the difference. The screen is nothing less than stunning. It reminded me of the first time I saw an LED TV.

Anyway, I am in the process of buying a MAC. I have never owned an Apple product before, so this will be my first :)

I have 3 configurations in mind:

The non-retina iMac:

3.5 i7
    8 GB
    256 GB SSD
    GTX 780M 4GB

The Retina iMac with i5 and M290X (+$300):

3.5 i5
    8 GB
    256 GB SSD
    M290X 2GB

Or the maxed out Retina iMac (+$600):

4.00 i7
    8 GB
    256 GB SSD
    M295X 4GB

For all 3 machines, I will add more RAM later.

The price difference isn't really that big and when we're talking about these kind of numbers, it doesn't really that much.

I am a little concerned about the AMD GPU's.

I really don't want to spend $3.000+ on a computer and then have to be annoyed about lagging or noise (which seems to be a problem with the 5K machines).

What should I do?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Unless I missed it, what do you want to use the computer for?

The 5K iMac is a great machine for those who work on graphics, images, photos, i.e., photoshop, lightroom, etc. Also those who really want such a large and impressive display.

If you're choking on the high price (and I would), and it feels laggy, then don't buy it. ITs not going to get faster as it ages, no computer does. From what I've read the GPU isn't quite up to snuff for the high density display.

That's at least what I take away from reading some comments here. I have no first hand experience other then playing with the iMac at the apple store and the 5K model is a great machine but if you saw lagging, then perhaps for peace of mind get the other model.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

Whatever you do, don't buy the 5K iMac with the base GPU. That one's notorious for lagging.

Other than that, it's up to you on what configuration would you want.

But once you go retina, you won't go back.

4. hjalte thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I totally forgot to say what I am going to use it for :)

I will be using it primarely for work.
    Most is done online in a browser window (I am using Chrome) and spreadsheets and other office like tools.

I am also using photoshop a lot, but it's mostly very basic stuff (I am web-developer).

I do some video editing from time to time, but again, we're mostly taking about basic stuff. Like cutting a video, overlaying some music and stuff like that.

I am not a gamer, but I do play games like civilazation or wow from time to time.

Currently I work on a 3 year old laptop with a mobile geforce GPU (it can play civ5 and wow, with the right low settings).

So, I don't mind spending the money on a mac. I am not really concerned about spending 3600 vs 4000, but then I also want a machine that's a reflection of that.

I have read a lot about how the M295X 4GB GPU gets extremely hot, starts the fans and have problems keeping the system smooth. That concerns me.

If it wasn't for that, I would jump on the 5k Retina right away.