Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While all MacBook Pro models released in the last five years featured only two to four Thunderbolt ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack, that changed this week with the introduction of the redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models.

2021-macbook-pro-ports.jpg

Following years of complaints about a lack of ports, both sizes of the new MacBook Pro feature several ports that Apple had removed in 2016, including an HDMI port, SD card slot, and MagSafe. Both models also have three Thunderbolt 4 ports — two on the left side of the machine and one on the right — and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

These ports allow the new MacBook Pro models to support up to two external displays at up to 6K resolution when configured with the M1 Pro chip, and up to four external displays at up to 6K resolution when configured with the M1 Max chip. Apple's tech specs confirm the HDMI port is HDMI 2.0 instead of HDMI 2.1 to the disappointment of some users.

Key features of the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro include the additional ports, Apple's next-generation M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, mini-LED displays with a ProMotion adaptive refresh rate up to 120Hz, up to 10 hours longer battery life, and more.

The new MacBook Pro models can be ordered now, with pricing starting at $1,999 for the 14-inch model and at $2,499 for the 16-inch model. The notebooks will begin arriving to customers and launch in stores on Tuesday, October 26.

Article Link: Here Are All the Ports on the New 14-Inch and 16-Inch MacBook Pro

seek3r

macrumors 68020
Aug 16, 2010
I’m glad Apple listened and brought back “legacy” ports.
I’m glad they brought back the relevant ones too, USBA would have been a step backwards but HDMI is super needed and an SD card is super useful. I know the pro photographers here will hem and haw but there are 1) tons and tons of DSLRs and such out there that use SD cards
2) there’s a lot more uses for SD cards than just photography, including being huge in the maker community (raspberry Pis, storage for some 3D printers, etc) and in automation and other work in general. There’s a *lot* of devices out there that use SD card

I don’t really care about magsafe 3 to be honest but I know it’s useful for lots of people and as long as I can still use the USBC ports and my cables and usb/tb docks it’s fine w me

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I would have loved USB-A. I can't find an external mouse that do not lag on an external monitor on my MacBook Air. This is very frustrating.
That sounds like an annoying problem but I doubt USB-A would fix it. A USB-A to USB-C adapter is just wires; it's a dumb adapter and there's nothing in it that can cause lag.

USB-C is still USB, just with more capabilities and a different physical plug.

Have you tried different mice? A different monitor? Are you using a hub? If so, try a different one, that could be it too.

EDIT: By the way I would have loved USB-A ports on the new MBP too. I just don't think that's your issue. :)

sudo-sandwich

Suspended
Aug 5, 2021
Wait, it's different from MagSafe 2? Here I was thinking I'd be able to use all my old chargers :( Well, not surprised.

Reactions: iLLUMI

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
That sounds like an annoying problem but I doubt USB-A would fix it. A USB-A to USB-C adapter is just wires; it's a dumb adapter and there's nothing in it that can cause lag.

USB-C is still USB, just with more capabilities and a different physical plug.

Have you tried different mice? A different monitor? Are you using a hub? If so, try a different one, that could be it too.

EDIT: By the way I would have loved USB-A ports on the new MBP too. I just don't think that's your issue. :)
Is there anything that replaces a flush-fitting USB-A thumb drive?

That's the one thing I have not seen available with USB-C, I believe because the actual storage is contained within the port itself and the USB-C connector isn't large enough.

They're very convenient as you can leave them plugged in without snagging on things.

japasneezemonk

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2005
Nomad
I would have loved USB-A.

I was hoping for DVI and a Parallel Port. ? ??

Just kidding, however if you are having issues with your mouse you might need a different mouse. I use a bluetooth MX Master 3 and sometimes a Logitech M720, both with bluetooth and both tested with external displays. At home usually with a pair of external LG 4K monitors and I have not had issues with either mouse.

Last edited:
Reactions: Junipr and jdb8167

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Is the SD slot UHS-II?

MaxTech suspects that it could be UHS-III which is already available in some Razer laptops.

I honestly haven't heard much about UHS-III... and I certainly don't have any UHS-III cards right now.

But you'd think Apple would use the most current version. We'll have to see. I believe the last iMac Pro was UHS-II.

UHS-II tops out at around 300MB/s... while UHS-III is about 600MB/s.

So quite an upgrade if true!

Reactions: performa_6400

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

That's the one thing I have not seen available with USB-C, I believe because the actual storage is contained within the port itself and the USB-C connector isn't large enough.

They're very convenient as you can leave them plugged in without snagging on things.
This will probably become a design that goes into the computer history unless the NAND chip can be made so small that USB-C port housing would fit.

LucidX

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2004
MaxTech suspects that it could be UHS-III which is already available on some Razer laptops.

I honestly haven't heard of UHS-III... and I certainly don't have any UHS-III cards right now.

But you'd think Apple would use the most current version. We'll have to see.
That might be worse. UHS-III cards do not exist. Non-UHS-III cards might bump down to the slowest SD read speed but I cannot recall the specifics of the UHS-III specs from years ago.

kingtj1971

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2021
Alton, IL
Eh.... I'm definitely not upset about getting some of the ports back that Apple decided earlier required special dongles. Especially for a simple SD card slot, it's really ridiculous they eliminated it in the first place.

The fact the HDMI port is 2.0 instead of 2.1 isn't something most people will know or care much about... except 2.1 would have allowed 4K output at 120Hz refresh rates; which is something kind of odd to omit on the first machine you've got that makes uses of 120Hz refresh for its own display! And now, the iPhone 13 Pros even do 120Hz refresh.

maverick2007

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014

While all MacBook Pro models released in the last five years featured only two to four Thunderbolt ports and a 3.5mm headphone jack, that changed this week with the introduction of the redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models.

2021-macbook-pro-ports.jpg

Following years of complaints about a lack of ports, both sizes of the new MacBook Pro feature several ports that Apple had removed in 2016, including an HDMI port, SD card slot, and MagSafe. Both models also have three Thunderbolt 4 ports — two on the left side of the machine and one on the right — and a 3.5mm headphone jack.

These ports allow the new MacBook Pro models to support up to two external displays at up to 6K resolution when configured with the M1 Pro chip, and up to four external displays at up to 6K resolution when configured with the M1 Max chip. Apple's tech specs confirm the HDMI port is HDMI 2.0 instead of HDMI 2.1 to the disappointment of some users.

Key features of the 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro include the additional ports, Apple's next-generation M1 Pro and M1 Max chips, mini-LED displays with a ProMotion adaptive refresh rate up to 120Hz, up to 10 hours longer battery life, and more.

The new MacBook Pro models can be ordered now, with pricing starting at $1,999 for the 14-inch model and at $2,499 for the 16-inch model. The notebooks will begin arriving to customers and launch in stores on Tuesday, October 26.

Article Link: Here Are All the Ports on the New 14-Inch and 16-Inch MacBook Pro
When Tim is launching toilet paper? Can I use Polishing cloth in the mean time to wipe my SSA? Seriously what a innovative product line up —- oh one more thing

icrew

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2003

For older MacBooks with SD slots, there were flush fitting SD cards and mini-SD adapters. I’m sure something similar will be created for the new MBPs if those older ones don’t fit perfectly. That’d get you pretty much the same thing, probably with more storage.

Reactions: mabhatter

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
That might be worse. UHS-III cards do not exist. Non-UHS-III cards might bump down to the slowest SD read speed but I cannot recall the specifics of the UHS-III specs from years ago.

Interesting. Thanks!

Like I said... I haven't heard much about UHS-III. A quick search seems to reveal that it's only in microSD cards at the moment(?)

We need to keep monitoring the situation.

Let's hope that it's at least real UHS-II at minimum then!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.