Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
I'm sorry but this is just disgusting. Have they no shame?

262up8j.jpg

Source: Benedict Evans/Twitter

apple%20watch%20fake%201.PNG

Source: Tim Bradshaw/FT

img_1120-5.jpg
img_1116-3.jpg

Source: Business Insider

img_1114-1.jpg
img_1111-3.jpg

20140106_fake-applewatch_0015.jpg
20140106_fake-applewatch_0017.jpg

Source: Cult of Mac

“We took the Apple Watch and made a few tiny changes so Apple won’t get mad,” Oplus Tek‘s Lily Yin told Cult of Mac when asked about the inspiration behind its new timepiece.

Last edited:

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
In theory yes. Practically it is stealing.

As Steve Jobs himself said, and I quote:

"Picasso had a saying. He said 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

:D

----------

The top watch making companies suffer from the exactly same problems. It's estimated counterfeits lose the watch industry over $1 billion per year. :(

No it does not. We all know when companies say this it's stupid.

Like The Video and Music industry talk the same junk.

They think every copy of an original bought is one lost sale for them.

I've never bought one, but if I could get a really nice looking fake watch that suited me, worked fine and cost $50 I could get it, but I'd never in my entire life pay perhaps $10,000 for the real thing.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

"Picasso had a saying. He said 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas."

Stealing ideas is one thing, blatantly copying a product is another thing.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011

:D.
You obviously don't understand that quote or what Steve meant by it. These things are blatant copies. They didnt't "steal" an idea of Apple's and improve upon it.

----------

The top watch making companies suffer from the exactly same problems. It's estimated counterfeits lose the watch industry over $1 billion per year. :(

I'm actually surprised these companies had the balls to show these things off at CES. We know they'll never be for sale outside China.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Come on now people.

I think many here need to lighten up on this one.

If it was a top spec quality made Samsung device with all manner of sensors for perhaps $50 less than the Apple watch, then sure you'd have something to get upset and worried about.

But come on, this is just really a joke novelty product.

Do you REALLY think Apple will lose sales to a super cheap novelty product such as this.

People may buy this as a joke.

No one who wants an Apple Watch will buy this instead of an Apple watch.

If you think sales of Apple Watches are going to be damaged by something like this, then Apple does REALLY have something to worry about.

Apple has vastly more to worry about from Android Wear and the BIG quality electronics companies in the world than a cheap fun novelty device like this.

----------

Stealing ideas is one thing, blatantly copying a product is another thing.

It's NOT a blatant copy of the product though is it?

It's like making a plastic Rolls Royce car for £200 with a 12v electric motor in it. From a distance it looks a bit like the real thing, but it's just a silly novelty cheap device. It's not a copy of the real thing.

If someone DID copy the device for real and sell it cheaper THEN there would be something to worry about.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
I'm sorry but this is just disgusting. Have they no shame?

262up8j.jpg

Source: Benedict Evans/Twitter

apple%20watch%20fake%201.PNG

Source: Tim Bradshaw/FT

img_1120-5.jpg
img_1116-3.jpg

img_1114-1.jpg
img_1111-3.jpg

20140106_fake-applewatch_0015.jpg
20140106_fake-applewatch_0017.jpg

Source: Cult of Mac

“We took the Apple Watch and made a few tiny changes so Apple won’t get mad,” Oplus Tek‘s Lily Yin told Cult of Mac when asked about the inspiration behind its new timepiece.

No they do not. When a nation has no native technology and only has slave labour to offer the free world........

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
It's NOT a blatant copy of the product though is it?

It's like making a plastic Rolls Royce car for £200 with a 12v electric motor in it. From a distance it looks a bit like the real thing, but it's just a silly novelty cheap device. It's not a copy of the real thing.

If someone DID copy the device for real and sell it cheaper THEN there would be something to worry about.

Yes it is a blatant copy. And I'll bet any money somebody creates an Android Wear skin that mimics Watch UI (at least the the home screen honeycomb pattern) and sticks it on these devices. Believe me if they tried to sell this outside of China Apple would sue them so fast.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Yes it is a blatant copy. And I'll bet any money somebody creates an Android Wear skin that mimics Watch UI (at least the the home screen honeycomb pattern) and sticks it on these devices. Believe me if they tried to sell this outside of China Apple would sue them so fast.

No, you are totally incorrect.

Making something upon a quick look, look like something is NOT copying it.

Taking an iWatch to bits, measuring it, copying the layout of the circuit boards, the battery, Making the control wheel the same, and work in the same manner etc etc etc is COPYING it.

This is just something cheap that, upon a quick glance looks like it.

It's not copying it.

As I said, it's like me making a plastic copy of a Ferrari $200,000 sports car sticking in a 50cc engine and having a laugh selling it for a couple of hundred dollars.

No one would really think I'd COPIED the Ferrari.
And no own who wanted Ferrari would buy mine, other than as a joke or something.
And Ferrari would not lose any sales due to my cheap product.

I know Apple will get really upset, but probably not so much for THIS model.

They will get more upset when someone REALLY copies it properly, and pricing it say $100 under Apples price. It would have to be made very good and very functional to actually lose Apple sales.

Heck if I could get one for a few dollars for a laugh I might be tempted, as it would probably do more than the real thing on it's own and not need an iPhone.
But if I wanted an Apple Watch, I'd buy an Apple watch.

Last edited:

kdarling

macrumors P6
I'm actually surprised it took this long. I've been watching eBay expecting such clones for weeks.

I mean, it's not like Apple created something technically difficult or super advanced. (I'm somewhat disappointed that their battery life is so low, and the screen doesn't stay on with a dual-mode display, etc. In many ways, the Apple Watch is older tech.)

Of course, these shops are not just making knock-offs of Apple's Watch. There were copies of all kinds of wearables:

"All were lined up next to other wearable devices bearing an uncanny resemblance to Samsung’s Gear smart watches or fitness trackers such as Fitbit and the Misfit Shine."

- FT

clones.png

Last edited:

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
No, you are totally incorrect.

Making something upon a quick look, look like something is NOT copying it.

Taking an iWatch to bits, measuring it, copying the layout of the circuit boards, the battery, Making the control wheel the same, and work in the same manner etc etc etc is COPYING it.

This is just something cheap that, upon a quick glance looks like it.

It's not copying it.

They're copying the entire look and feel of the watch, which is enough to fool a lot of people into thinking they bought the real thing. You must be making up your own definitions for words again...

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
They're copying the entire look and feel of the watch, which is enough to fool a lot of people into thinking they bought the real thing. You must be making up your own definitions for words again...

Exactly. And I'm not arguing that Apple needs to be worried about these clones, I'm just disgusted that this is pervasive in Chinese culture.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010

Not really

I just regard a "COPY" to be a lot more than the quick look, and not too careful feel of a product.

I suppose you can get good and bad copies.

Let me ask you this. Say I make a wooden Grand Father Long Case Clock with a brass mechanism and superb carvings in the wood and multiple hands on the dial for phases of the moon etc for $3000

Someone then made one from cheap plastic, rough low quality moldings, the face only had 2 hands, the other bits were just printed onto the face and did not work, and inside there was a $5 quartz movement.

I suppose you could say it was a copy.
A very cheap, low quality fake copy.

Personally, for it to be a "Copy" in my books, it would have to be done well and near the standard of the original and priced just below, in an obvious attempt to fool buyers of my product.

I'll accept this is "visually" a quick and dirty copy, but I'd never say they have "copied" the product.

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008
Not really

I just regard a "COPY" to be a lot more than the quick look, and not too careful feel of a product.

I suppose you can get good and bad copies.

Let me ask you this. Say I make a wooden Grand Father Long Case Clock with a brass mechanism and superb carvings in the wood and multiple hands on the dial for phases of the moon etc for $3000

Someone then made one from cheap plastic, rough low quality moldings, the face only had 2 hands, the other bits were just printed onto the face and did not work, and inside there was a $5 quartz movement.

I suppose you could say it was a copy.
A very cheap, low quality fake copy.

Personally, for it to be a "Copy" in my books, it would have to be done well and near the standard of the original and priced just below, in an obvious attempt to fool buyers of my product.

I'll accept this is "visually" a quick and dirty copy, but I'd never say they have "copied" the product.

I feel like all I do is define words for people these days:

freedictionary.com said:
cop·y (kŏp′ē)
n. pl. cop·ies
[removed]
2. To follow as a model or pattern; imitate. See Synonyms at imitate.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/copy

It doesn't have to be a perfect representation for it to be considered a copy.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Exactly. And I'm not arguing that Apple needs to be worried about these clones, I'm just disgusted that this is pervasive in Chinese culture.

"Disgusted" ? Really? Sounds quite xenophobic :)

Some cultures believe in sharing ideas, so that innovation is quickly adopted and built upon. Other cultures believe in keeping innovation privately held. It's just a different way of doing things.

China's been around a very, very long time. Don't forget that a lot of their inventions over the centuries were copied by the West... inventions that were important in changing world history.

Yep. Some people only see surface deep.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I feel like all I do is define words for people these days:

It doesn't have to be a perfect representation for it to be considered a copy.

The term is open to interpretation.

If you feel this is a valid, and worrying copy of Apples product then that is your viewpoint.

Does not say much about Apple's $350 product, if this company can copy it, in your eyes for $35

Apples watch must be overpriced if you can copy it for a tenth of the price.

As you wish to regard it as a copy of course :)

Runt888

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2008

If you feel this is a valid, and worrying copy of Apples product then that is your viewpoint.

Does not say much about Apple's $350 product, if this company can copy it, in your eyes for $35

I wouldn't say it's worrying. Just arguing semantics - I should really know better :D

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
.It's NOT a blatant copy of the product though is it?

It's like making a plastic Rolls Royce car for £200 with a 12v electric motor in it. From a distance it looks a bit like the real thing, but it's just a silly novelty cheap device. It's not a copy of the real thing

Of course it is a copy. A company spend hundreds of millions on creating one, for another shamless crap maker to mimick it and trick people into believing it's a real thing, or close to the real thing. These copycat companies are parasites! They don't spend their own foundation to design a product, they instead copy a product from others and sale it for a cheap price.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
"Disgusted" ? Really? Sounds quite xenophobic :)

Some cultures believe in sharing ideas, so that innovation is quickly adopted and built upon. Other cultures believe in keeping innovation privately held. It's just a different way of doing things.

China's been around a very, very long time. Don't forget that a lot of their inventions over the centuries were copied by the West... inventions that were important in changing world history.

Yep. Some people only see surface deep.

I think we're splitting hairs here. Here are definitions of the word copy from Google:
1. make a similar or identical version of; reproduce.
2. imitate the style or behaviour of.

Seems to me any reasonable person would agree that these clones fit the definition of #2.

----------

They're copying the style, not the quality and certainly not the technology inside or the software.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I think we're splitting hairs here. Here are definitions of the word copy from Google:
1. make a similar or identical version of; reproduce.
2. imitate the style or behaviour of.

Seems to me any reasonable person would agree that these clones fit the definition of #2.

----------

They're copying the style, not the quality and certainly not the technology inside or the software.

Agreed, and it why I take issue with BOLD statements by some that they have Copied, in the complete sense of the word, the Apple Watch.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
Agreed, and it why I take issue with BOLD statements by some that they have Copied, in the complete sense of the word, the Apple Watch.

Except no one is saying that. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.