Here comes the real deal on snow

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by LizKat, Feb 1, 2015.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Impressive swath being cut by a storm slamming through upper midwest and now heading towards east and points north.

Weather map here http://www.weather.gov/

I've no TV so no idea if this one's getting hyped but anyway it's no joke where it's been so far. It looks to dump 10-14" over most of New York State on its way to New England. Man, the areas that got slammed by the nor'easter don't need this one but they're going to get it anyway.

Here the warning is up through 4pm tomorrow afternoon. Farther south it looks like they could also get up to a quarter-inch of ice which is enough to start disrupting power supply. Hope it gets cold there fast enough to turn to snow.

Hopefully everyone engaged in watching the Super Bowl won't mind spending the night wherever they landed. Hope the juice stays on at least until after the game!

2. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Ugh, looks like I'll be shoveling myself out tomorrow morning in Boston. My landlord cheaps out on snow removal so all the snow from the surrounding apartments ends up in front of my parking area. There is nowhere for the snow to be moved to, especially with all the snow the last storm. It's times like this when I miss owning a Jeep.

The last blizzard the police were nice to drive me in to work at the hospital. :D
    I repaid the favor my helping 2 of my elderly neighbors shovel out their cars. I'm still shoveled out from last week.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I don't know how you live upstate with that kind of weather. In NYC we are only expected to get about 2-5 inches.

4. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

In my case, I was born here and chose to stay here. I can't stand the people that live in the area and complain about the snow. It's winter in the Northeast, deal with it or move.

I'm near Albany, we're scheduled for 10-15" and probably have 5". Just about to start getting ready to head to work. I don't leave any earlier, I just get in when I get in.

5. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I got like three inches here in buffalo. #notimpressed

----------

It's snow. You either deal with it or move.
    In my case, I happen to love snow

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I LOVE upstate NY if I were to ever move back to the states that is very high on the places to go back to.

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I went to SUNY in Oneonta for about a year and a half. Nice in the spring and summer, even got used to the skunk smells and deer. But winter is freaking brutal and not for me.

8. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

At least in the western Catskills we didn't get icing, it was already in the teens when the snow started up. It's the fluffy kind and it's drifting but it's not heavy to shove around; there's just lots of it and more falling. So far I brushed off around 8-10" from the car and shoveled out my pathways, some of them drifted in to around a foot or a little more. The plow guy will have to come twice before we're done, probably. Got 8' glaciers at the ends of driveways already. I like winter or I'd be gone from here because it tends to come early and hang on tight.

I read John Kerry got a $50 fine for not shoveling his walk in Boston last time around... tsk tsk!!

9. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I'd say we're close to 10" by now. My car is completely covered. I managed to get to work (gotta love having a vehicle appropriate for the climate!) and they were just finishing plowing the lot I park in when I got here. They're on round 2 of plowing now. As my dad said, our snowfall total may be higher than the high temperature for the day...

10. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

I can ID with that... this morning when I got up it was still -4ºF after high yesterday of maybe 8º (it was supposed to get up to 13 but did not happen) and there was a fresh three inches of snow that's still in process of falling. That's on top of the five inches we got the previous two days. It's another "winter of the sneaky snow" that upstate NY is famous for. You brush and shovel it away but when you wake up on the next day, it's back again.

11. Old Muley macrumors 6502a

Old Muley

Here in Titletown U.S.A I think we have 3 inches of snow on the ground. The most snow we've received all at once this winter has been 6 inches. Disappointing for all the skiers and snowmobilers, but good news for those who have to shovel.

12. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Hmm. Mother Nature has apparently programmed us into some kind of loop: western Catskills now have another storm warning up, for Sunday 8am through Tuesday 7am, yet again a fresh 8-14" of snow.

I'm remembering a couple lines from some Jack Johnson song, "Here comes another one, just like the other one."

Well we're not going to be alone in this one, the whole state's pretty much going to get hammered, as well all the states eastward except Maine. Finally will have time to finish all the books I'm halfway through.

Attached Files:

13. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Local station for Albany just had a quick weather bit at the beginning of the 6:00 news. 10-18" predicted for the entire storm, 3-4" by the morning tomorrow. I may take the AWD and go do some snowshoeing in Saratoga tomorrow morning.

14. richwoodrocket, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Here comes the real deal on snow

We got a few inches here in buffalo. I think they need to relax on the snow predictions.
    That 6 feet of snow has screwed up all future weather forecasts. They're going to be hesitant about under predicting, and so now they're going to over predict to cover themselves.
    Snow is getting pretty high here. It's over the top of my snowblower. Usually there are several freeze/thaw cycles throughout the snow season which usually eliminates this happening. Oh well, the more snow the better. :)[​IMG]

15. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

Over predict? We weren't over predicted here (near Albany). It's been snowing pretty much since mid-late Saturday. Not a heavy snow but a constant snow, and the amounts were pretty much as expected..

16. A.Goldberg, Feb 9, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2015

A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Well, another 18-20" has landed here in Boston. I'm lucky enough to have a garaged parking space, but the snow banks are so large it's becoming exceedingly difficult to snake my way around. Shoveling is getting tiresome, especially because there is nowhere to put it.

By this afternoon, I just barely made it through the driveway of my apartment. My all wheel drive BMW really doesn't have enough ground clearance to get through all the mounds left by plows.

The MBTA (Mass. Bay Transit Authority- public transit) shut down down all the trains/subways at 7:00. I had to go out and pickup my girlfriend at work since she took the subway in. Luckily she has a Land Cruiser, otherwise she would have been walking home. That thing is a beast in the snow. I'm not sure my car would have made it without a struggle.

More snow Thursday night into Friday. Weather.com is already saying up to a foot. Bring it on.

17. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

Then you will be extremely happy not to be up there by Oneonta this week, here are their forecast low temperatures (ºF) for Thursday to Sunday: -2, -8, -8. -11.

But on Washington’s birthday (observed), Oneonta will apparently experience a heatwave as it will get all the way up to 13ºF. I might drive over there and bask in the sun!

Well anyway in the Catskills we are going to be topping off the reservoirs that feed New York City’s drinking water, that’s for sure. I must have a couple thousand cubic feet of snow plowed up at the ends of my driveways right now. Will be shipping that south pretty soon (if we ever get the so-called January thaw that never materialized).

I just hope we don’t end up wanting to ship our snowmelt south all at once. The trouble with a snowy winter developing after a righteous cold spell is that snowmelt has no place to go with the ground frozen as far down as it is right now. There are maybe things worse than a flood in winter but when you get one, it’s hard to think what that might be.