Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
This is an interview done by CNet Asia to Quanta (one of iPod manufacturer) in Chinese. If you cant read Chinese, you can try to use Google's translation but it'll sounded funny.

http://taiwan.cnet.com/news/ce/0,2000062982,20120786,00.htm

Not sure if CNet will do false interview. But if these are true, this is not a good decision to announce something internally before Steve Job does it public.

Here are the brief points:

1. 2nd Gen iPhone is already shipped to Apple for testing. They called it 'IPOD Phone' internally. This is because the phone looks almost exactly like the current ipod (white color/silver in the back)

2. iPod Phone uses multi-touch screen too.

3. Price will be between $249 ~ $299 and does NOT suport Google Map & YouTube. But it might included 3G or HSDPA chip.

4. Ready or ship in September. Initial stock will be 5M.

5. In addition to 'iPod Phone', there will be another line called 'Nano Phone'. Samples were also sent to Apple for review but the actual ready date will be in 2008.

maclover007

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2007
USA
cool

ok...if this is true...will it be on networks like verizon?:confused:as soon as anyone knows of any pics please post!!!!
:apple:jake:apple:

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Yeah, that was my thought when I first read this news. But what will be the chance for CNet to post a false rumor? As I recall, CNet is not a rumor website/company but situated itself as technology review reporter. At least it's more trustworthy than JP Morgan's analyst's ipod nano 'rumor' earlier this week.

dumbest rumor ever.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
I've said it before and I will say it again... Apple is NOT releasing a new iPhone this year. Why would they? It doesn't make sense. Wait until next year. Now the iPod video, that's a different story.

Sobe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2007
Wash DC suburbs
I've said it before and I will say it again... Apple is NOT releasing a new iPhone this year. Why would they? It doesn't make sense. Wait until next year. Now the iPod video, that's a different story.

If Apple can make a cheaper, slightly more stripped down voice + sms phone with ipod functionality and put it in snappy colors AND release it by christmas, they would make a killing without competing with their core iPhone constituency.

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007

It does make sense if Steve Job release another iPhone. He said iPhone will be Apple's third money maker besides iPod & Mac. Both iPod & Mac have multiple price tiers with different models. I guess we can look back in the history to see how fast Apple released 2nd iPod after the first one. Or the days between Macbook Pro first release to Macbook.

p0intblank

macrumors 68030
Sep 20, 2005
New Jersey
It does make sense if Steve Job release another iPhone. He said iPhone will be Apple's third money maker besides iPod & Mac. Both iPod & Mac have multiple price tiers with different models. I guess we can look back in the history to see how fast Apple released 2nd iPod after the first one. Or the days between Macbook Pro first release to Macbook.

Yeah, but I'm just having a hard time believing it. It just seems so soon. Yes, I know it'd be great for holiday sales... but I'm counting on their releasing the real iPod video.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Apple as a way of marketing products that works. They do not bring out new versions of products until they milk the crap out of the first revisions. The iPhone will be the must have product for xmas this year. Do you really think they will release a second version at half the price and half the profit dollars? Get real.

Apple will milk the Rev A (worldwide) for all its worth before any new versions show up.

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Sorry but I don't see how you make a smaller iphone viable.

Two of the BIGGEST benefits of the phone are the large screen size, and the touchscreen afforded by the large screen size.

Any smaller form factor or one with a smaller screen blows both those out of the water, which I think makes it MUCH less attractive.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
Sorry but I don't see how you make a smaller iphone viable.

Two of the BIGGEST benefits of the phone are the large screen size, and the touchscreen afforded by the large screen size.

Any smaller form factor or one with a smaller screen blows both those out of the water, which I think makes it MUCH less attractive.

You change the definition of it.

iphone nano:

phone part of iphone.
ipod (sans video.)
texting.
slightly smaller screen.

would sell well IMO.

plumbingandtech

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2007
hey do not bring out new versions of products until they milk the crap out of the first revisions.

actually not in every case. the ipod mini / nano transition comes to mind.

They try to make better products BEFORE the competitors do.

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Been follow this since day 1 this report surfaced. Took 3 days for engadget to digest the story. And still no rumor on Macrumor's. I think Macrumors should hire some chinese speaking ppl so they can get their rumors first handed. To get the best rumors about Apple, it's better to target the manufacturers, which are all located in Taiwan & China.

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/17/second-generation-iphone-for-249-in-september/

lofight

macrumors 68000
Jun 16, 2007
I don't believe anything in that interview what they say... why would they make a ipod phone with 3G or HSPDA??then it would be better than their iphone, and it would be less cheap, no sense of making that ey, i expect a ipod with full toutschscreen wih 50 GB hdd.

iAmLegend

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2007
Does it occur to anyone that it benefits rival phone companies to have people hold off on buying an iPhone now in anticipation of a product that in reality won't be arriving anytime soon?

"I think I'll wait for the iPod Phone, and in the meantime, let me get this cheaper LG or Motorola phone."

lekun

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2006
this sounds to me to be the OS X based iPods. No YouTube and no GoogleMaps – those are the two main apps that use internet (aside from stocks, but it would be easy to overlook that in a rumor). Plus they look just like iPods.

earnjam

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2007
North Carolina
Wouldn't they have to get FCC approval for another device? If that's the case, wouldn't we have heard something about it by now?

I don't know about that the FCC stuff, but regardless....they will not come out with another iPhone in 2007. Possibly an iPod update. But a smaller iPhone? Come on, get serious people.

How the hell could you go any smaller in the first place? You couldn't have a smaller keyboard without it being completely unusable. What, a 10 digit touch screen keypad? Sign me up for that fun. I want to text like I used to on my old phone, but with a touch screen, so I can't tell if I've hit the number two times or three! Awesome!!!1!!11!!!1

javaGuru

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2007
ok...if this is true...will it be on networks like verizon?:confused:as soon as anyone knows of any pics please post!!!!
:apple:jake:apple:

I would guess that they would continue using at&t since they already have a system in place for activating service with them etc...

wowotoe

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I would guess that they would continue using at&t since they already have a system in place for activating service with them etc...

and it also means there will be another update for iTune coming. If iPhone Nano is realeased after September, it's very likely Apple will include iPhone v1 updates around that time so less bugs for holiday shoppings. I wouldn't be surprise this year's top holiday gift will be iPhone nano :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.