Here is how to have hierarchal folders in Leopard's Dock

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dmbrown1, Nov 19, 2007.

1. dmbrown1 macrumors newbie

Two solutions that put hierarchal folders in Leopard's Dock have just come out. They are both effective, very similar but with slight differences. Both work well. Each one provides folders on the right/bottom side of the Dock (although they aren't really folders), with item icons, that you can traverse hierarchically. The main oddity, compared to Tiger folders, is that you can only left-click to see the hierarchy - control-click (or right-click) doesn't work. However, I anticipate that over time left-clicking will become second nature.

Check them out:
    Quay at www.brockerhoff.net/quay/
    HierarcialDock at www.eternalstorms.at/utilities/hierdock/index.html

If you use them, please support these guys financially - we need people like them to continue to provide solutions like this! (I'm not associated with either one.)

2. theman macrumors 6502a

what are the slight differences? or do i have to install them both to see?

EDIT:

just installed both. Quay seems to work better since it expands the list up the entire screen, where as HierarcialDock just shows a few at first and as you scroll down it expands upwards...

one thing I would like to see is the ability to sort by something other than alphabetical, like date, kind, etc.

cool!

EDIT2: wait, it looks like quay allows you to sort, and more options too... great program!

EDIT3: but quay only allows you to change the options for ONE folder, you have to register to get it for more than 1. good thing I only want to put one folder in my dock!

3. LeMacK macrumors newbie

is it just me or do both these disable drag-and-drop functionality for whatever folders you use them on? (ie. you can no longer drag and drop to add files to the folder in your dock)

:(

nevertheless, these are a cool find - thanks a bunch!

4. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

I think they don't allow drag and drop unfortunately.

But it's a huge step. Being able to have heirarchical and stacks. I will uses stacks for docs and downloads, and Quay for everything else.

I also noticed the Heirarchical does an expose type thing with the screen brightness, whereas Quay does not. However, as noted, until Quay goes registration, you can only use it on one folder.

5. byakuya macrumors 6502a

byakuya

it's kind of unfortunate that drag and drop is not supported...hope that they will add this feature soon
    then it will be on the top of my app to try list:)

6. dmbrown1 thread starter macrumors newbie

The author is aware of this and plans to fix it in the next release.