Here is my newfound view on screen protectors

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by gdeputy, May 14, 2010.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Ok so I always used screen protectors on my iphone and even put a full body zagg on my iPad. I just took my screen protector off my iPhone and the screen was flawless. It looks and feels great. I then started thinking "man the screen protector worked, my screen wasn't scratched it was just the screen protector.

Then I realized, "hrmm it's great my screen is immaculate but for the last 2 years ive been looking at scratched screen protectors and never enjoyed this beautiful screen, from my perspective it always looked scratched ( had power support screen protectors, 3 over 2 years.) because the protector was scratched. What's the good of having a perfect screen if you never see it?

My iPad was covered with a zagg but I took it off because I had a lot of dust and fibers under it ( despite a perfect install!!) and it was annoying me. Anyways now I'm not sure I want a protector for my pad.. Undecided.

Just a perspective guess I felt like sharing and maybe even subliminally hoping for comments haha.

2. omgitscro macrumors 6502a

omgitscro

For many, the issue is not with one's own view of the gadget, it's the resale value.

3. azboricua macrumors 6502a

azboricua

I couldn't of said it better. I use my iPad but I have it in a Candy Shell case with a screen protector. Sure its nice without all of that on but next week if I choose to sell it and it had tons of scratches and scrapes I would not get anything for it. Specially me, I'll be surprised if I have it for 6 months before selling it. I'm just like that with electronics and there are many like me out there. Some keep electronics FOREVER. Those are the ones that probably will not use a case or screen protector.:D

4. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I put one on my iPad, I forget it's even there, no bubbles and looks and feels just like it's naked!
    It came free with one of those sillicone back cover things on bay so it's not even a pricey one.

The problem I had with them on my iPhone was the lint and dust getting under the protector from it going in and out of my pocket. No sign of that on the iPad after two weeks but I don't have big pockets to put it in :)

5. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

I'm not too worried about resale value, I don't think 2nd hand buyers expect perfect condition.

Another thing is Apple items are well built and for me even though I never use any protection they dont look worn. It's not easy to scratch or disfigure alumunium or hard glass.

My old Nokia/HTC phones on the other hand looked like rubbish after a few weeks because of the plastic scratching or dust getting inside

6. danterner macrumors member

If you put a screen protector on and it gets scratched, you can peel it off and put on a new one. Voila, pristine screen again.

If you don't have a screen protector and your actual screen gets scratched -- now what?

7. MorganK macrumors regular

I just replace the screen protector on my iPhone rather than look at scratches. They're cheap so I don't mind doing it every other month or so. Plus when my 4yr old and 2yr old play games/watch shows/etc on it I'm not worried about it getting messed up. So when my iPad arrives I will be putting a protector in it and replacing as needed.

8. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

But how would it get scratched?

9. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

yeah but screen protectors AREN'T cheap despite what the gentleman above me said. 25 dollars for a quality screen protector is quite a bit. They scratch MUCH easier than glass since they are a plastic material and if you wanted a scratch free surface your looking at 4-5 protectors a year. Thats over 100$ a year. an iPad glass screen is absolutley cheaper than that (the whole pad 16gb wifi costs 256 to make), why not buy full on glass screens and have them replaced by a repair center?

Also, I've put on at least 5 protectors on my iPhone and they are a real pain to put on perfectly (albeit possible). You rarely end up with a 'pristine' screen to begin with.

Don't get me wrong i felt the same way you did, had a zagg on my iPad (still have the back on) but the fibers that got in there annoyed me so bad i finally took it off. I would rather have baby scratches than the fibers!

I'm thinking of getting an anti glare but i'm undecided.

Not knocking protectors just voicing my opinion, i'm at a crossroads.

EDIT: and please dont give me the 'all screen protectors are the same' talk, because they clearly aren't. I know from experience and also view iLounge's review of ipad screen protectors. You get what you pay for in this case.

10. iserian macrumors 6502

I agree with the OP -

If you wish to degrade the every day use of your item screen shields are for you. If you wish to keep your screen perfect for the next buyer screen shields are for you. If you wish to use your device like the consumable that it is -- then screen shields may not be for you. I have seen several variants on Ipad's and all have something that makes the viewing a bit less than w/out.

11. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I have the iPhone 1G and no scratches here after almost 3 years.

The only reason I would/am looking at them is for the anti glare (anti-glare - for search purposes here on the MR) properties.

12. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

I use the screen protector for anti-glare. The one sold in the apple store in the green packaging is great. Sometimes using the screen outdoors with the sun makes it difficult to look at but with the anti-glare screen protector it looks great.