Here is to the Pre's Success

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by codawg81, Jun 8, 2009.

1. codawg81 macrumors newbie

First of all I love my I phone. I have been in big business though for 20 years and competition breeds cost reductions and advancements. I am on this forum a lot an even the most die hard, Apple can do no wrong, iPhone is the greatest invention of all time fan has to admit Apple could have been much more proactive in some of its features. Again I love my iPhone but if the Pre comes out kicking booty at a cheaper rate than Apple must follow.

2. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Well they need to sell a lot more than the 50 000 they just sold.

3. David Turnbull macrumors newbie

I came in here to flame you, but I like the way you think.

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

It only sold around 50,000 the opening weekend. The 3G iPhone sold around 146,000 opening weekend. We'll see how thew 3Gs does next week.

5. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

The 3g iphone sold 1 million in 3 days.

6. codawg81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again I love my phone ....

but the iPhone may have more momentum based on its current number of owners. If the Pre is what they say it is it will at least be competive which like I said is a good thing. The best thing I can say about the iPhone is I am a tech geek and my wife thinks fire is an advanced technology. We both though love the iPhone and used it a ton. That says a lot about this product.

7. nfl46 macrumors 603

8. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Well I don't give a damn about the Pre, it's irrelevant to me, and I wish people would stop opening 30 threads a day about it on an iphone forum.

9. johnqh macrumors regular

The biggest problem is that 90% of Pre buyers are existing Sprint users. I believe the number was about 50% for iPhone.

Sprint has the worst collection of phones, so their customers are eager to buy anything which is decent. However, it is not attracting people from other networks.

10. codawg81 thread starter macrumors newbie

Easy trigger

So you do you think Apple would ever lower their rates, or speed up the delivery of features, just because you are a great guy and are 100% loyal to them? You may want to understand how the real world works and that competion is never a bad thing no matter how loyal you are.

11. brian4610 macrumors regular

i mentioned this exact same thing in another thread, for apple die hards, the success of the Pre is imperative if you want a lower costing, more high powered iphone.

I'm disappointed in this release of the iphone, just as i was last years. Apple needs to be reminded that this is an open market, and there is competition. The Pre could make apple go back board room and figure out, what do we want, and how can we (apple) make it happen...

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

"Competition is never a bad thing?" What extreme capitalist Kool-Aid did you get your hands on? If you think competition *never* has a downside, look at utility deregulation. Around here, there used to be just one natural gas provider. Then it was deregulated, creating "competition." All it did was create the opportunity for companies to market it. There was still only one pipe that the gas could come in, so it's not like company A was giving you better gas than company B. All it did was create a bunch of companies who did nothing but marketing and then jacked prices up.

Stuff you don't really "need" like cell phones is subject to normal competitive forces, but please don't drone on about "competition is good" without knowing what you're talking about.

13. phreebees macrumors member

^ what the hell are you talking about, hes talking about competition in a forum about phones. of course hes talking about competition amongst 'things that we dont need'. what relevance do utility companies have in this thread?

14. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

This is bull. So before the Pre all that stuff present in it weren't in other phones, why didn't Apple add them, after all the likes of G1 and Storm have them and they sell way more phones than the Pre. At least Apple offers a new operating system every March and a new phone in June. What competition has Palm being bringing to the mobile space, all they have been doing is languishing on updates which is why they were in the position they were before the guys from Apple came and developed the Pre for them. Enough of this competition talk.

15. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Some of these threads/posts are unreal. 2 weeks ago, people were flaming and ranting about how the the next iPhone, and iPhone 3.0 release better have this and that if they want to continue to be on top, yada, yada, yada. Then they come out with most of what people wanted, and the complaints continue; "Why did it take so long?", "These <<insert model here>> phones have had this for a while". I think some would complain if they were hung with a new rope.

Overall, Apple gave what most folks wanted. Don't complain because you just signed a 2 year contract with AT&T, and now you want the newest, shiniest gadget at the lowest possible price. You did read the contract you signed didn't you? You did ask the person at AT&T that if Apple comes out with a new phone is x months, will I get it at a reduced cost? If not, that's your fault for being a dumb consumer.

If you like the Pre that much, dump the iPhone, pay the ETF, and move along. Be happy, and enjoy...otherwise, get the free update for your existing 3G, and stop complaining!!!

16. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Would it be wrong to complain about this?

17. ptsube macrumors 6502

Look what those Windows commercials did to Macbook pricing. If you don't think the Pre had anything to do with/about new features or components, you are delusional. If it wasn't the Pre that inspired Apple to give us so many new features, it was Android, Nokia, HTC, and Samsung, that pushed Apple to be more competitive.

18. Goona macrumors 68020

Goona

Yeah and it was also the iphone that made them improve their phones, but stop shoving it down our throat every second.

19. ptsube macrumors 6502

So you think that Apple would have changed their pricing on the Macbook Pro if it wasn't for those Windows commercials? You think Apple would've taken there $2500 model and dropped the price $800 because they felt generous? Yeah, competition is just so evil.

Please read Atlas Shrugged.

20. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Nobody is shoving anything down your throat. If you feel that reading about a phone on the internet is a forcible invasion of your personal space why not stop reading these threads, stop replying in them, and stop searching news articles about the Pre and linking to them? Seems only reasonable :confused:

Nobody should ever do this.

21. williamgallas10 macrumors regular

Why are people surprised by the new iphone. Did you really think apple was going to go over the top and give you a 5mp camera etc. Apples way is to give you little updates, and save the other updates for the next phone. They know they have a fanatical fan base that will always by no matter what. Only apple can do that. Its 2009, and the iphone finally has voice recognition. Basic phones have had this since 2004. And, the 2008 iphone 3g cant do voice recognition. Apple will intentionally not include certain features, saving it for the next phone, so that you will be tempted to upgrade. If you do not understand this by now, well good luck.

22. ptsube macrumors 6502

Agree.

Disagree.