Carrier Here to tell everyone they were right and I was wrong regarding Sprint

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jharvey71884, Dec 19, 2013.

1. jharvey71884 macrumors regular

Everyone warned me don't switch. No matter how much money I'm saving. Long story short, my wife says for Christmas I'm switching her back to Verizon.

I'm hoping our nearly perfect iphone 5 and 5c will fetch close to 700 dollar for the early termination. Probably will be out a little money.

So many dropped calls. Internet works great around our house (5mb average), but anywhere else it's so slow. She doesn't get calls in her office. Shes in a career where a missed call could literally be life or death. Not good.

2. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

I'm sorry, but admitting an error is not allowed here.

It's far too adult and displays a willingness to accept responsibility for one's action.

What you are supposed to do is to explain how it's really someone else's fault and then somehow blame it on Sprint..but never own the responsibility!

:rolleyes::rolleyes: <----Please Note...for those with difficulty identifying irony.;)

3. CEmajr macrumors 601

You won't be getting $700 for Sprint iPhones. That's another negative of being on Sprint, your iPhones are worth less than the ones for the other carriers are.

4. dave420 macrumors 65816

It may be possible to get very near to $700 for those two phones. I was just checking the prices on swappa.com. They may sell quickly for $600, or closer to $700 with patience. The condition is important as well.

5. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Right! You know…exactly like the Sprint way of doing things!

:rolleyes:

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

When your wife tells you, you are wrong, that carries more weight than the supreme court! :D

7. AJAAY macrumors regular

You will not get as much as you think for your sprint iPhones. I've been down that road, and it isn't pretty.

I'm just glad I'm done with Sprint!

8. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

When I was getting the Verizon phones at best buy, the clerk said, you know that both of these lines have ETF adding up to $700.

My wife decided to chime in after being quiet "he knows."

9. Ender Wiggins macrumors member

Surprised you didn't try T-Mobile. I was getting 4 or 5mbps with Verizon, now I'm at 30mpbs, and crystal clear call quality, plus saving money.

I had to pay about $600 in ETF's, but it was worth it.

10. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Would have loved to, but they don't have service in my area.

11. Ender Wiggins macrumors member

Well, I feel for you, OP. Tough pill to swallow. :(

12. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

I was able to sell the iPhone 5 today for $295 on Craigslist. Hopefully I can sell the 5c for similar and only take a $100 hit.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

He was referring to his perception of "typical" MR user behavior, not Sprint's. Relax. No one is giving Sprint any more of a beating than they're due.

Was this something the cropped up AFTER the 2-week trial period, or was this pretty consistent? If It was later, I'd push hard on Sprint to do work with you on the ETFs. The worst thing they can say is "no," but for a little complaining and effort, there's a sliver a chance that maybe you'll end up paying a little less.

Unfortunately, that may be a bad idea, as rumor has it Sprint may attempt to buy T-Mobile with Softbank's help, and deep pockets. Evidently, the Nextel debacle wasn't lesson enough for them, nor was the attempt to purchase the remnants of what used to be Cingular Interactive, nor was the on-again/off-again/on-again relationship with Clear.

Sprint evidently isn't done buying, attempting to integrate with disastrous results, and ultimately destroying decent competing but totally incompatible wireless networks, and T-Mobile is next on their list, much to everyone but investors' chagrin. The only possible way I could see this being remotely successful is if Sprint uses T-Mobile to migrate all their users to a GSM/HSPA/LTE stack, and finally ditch their dilapidated, ramshackle CDMA network as quickly as they possibly can.

14. dennisjr631 macrumors 6502

I'm sorry that you lost money but I'm sure you are gonna help a lot of people. Myself included. I was thinking about switching. Not anymore. Thank you for creating this thread.

15. jharvey71884 thread starter macrumors regular

Depending on where you are, I would strongly suggest against it. Was with them once and canceled because of pooor service. They then tricked me again because they promised it was all better and going to get even more better. :D

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, SHAME ON ME.

Never again. You get what you pay for.

16. mpantone, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2013

mpantone macrumors 6502

The problem here was that the original poster listened to the Sprint sales rep, rather than the people who count.

Who are those people who count? No, not people on MacRumors. The people who really count are the OP's neighbors. Literally the people who live next door, on the same block. The people who work at the same company as him and his wife.

Affiliated with a school? Ask the school's IT department. They will know because they will hear all the complaints about bad reception from the people whom they support.

Same with corporate IT. Those folks support a large pool of employees and they will know the relative strengths and weaknesses of all the major carriers operating in the vicinity.

Next door neighbor doesn't use ___ cellphone company? Well, just invite some friends over an query them at some point during their visit about cellular reception.

The original poster simply did not listen to the right people for their opinion on the most important aspect about selecting a mobile telephony service: how well does it work in the places where they will most frequently be.

You don't need to be a genius or super sleuth to figure this out, just a reasonably thoughtful adult that considers the validity of the data source.

There's very little to be learned here in terms of "which cellular carrier is better." The fact of the matter is it depends on where you are located.

Even if you are new in town, you have sources (neighbors, landlord, new colleagues, etc.). Heck, you could even ask the local policemen or firefighters. Again, those guys will know which cellular service providers do okay and which ones suck.

17. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

This is where tone is everything I guess. Because I was making a sardonic remark about Sprint while agreeing with the joke. The funny part was that while the comment itself was a joke and worded humorously (which I got), when applied to Sprint (the company) it was actually true.