Here we go logo!

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by alicat, Oct 8, 2008.

1. alicat macrumors newbie

I hesitate to post this request, as there is a number of threads with logos in their titles....but I dearly appreciate your thoughts.

As most of you reading this will know, doing work for yourself is "bloody hard". A sensible critique dialogue is played over in your head, and rejected, and accepted and rejected....
    Things that you would instantly dismiss in the design process on other jobs, you consider and ponder....AHHHH. I am not talking about jobs for others, but the personal job that represents you! Your own mark or logo for your portfolio etc etc.

I have been working on this on and off for about month. In trying to remove the bull, I have been rejecting a serious of printouts on my fridge and think I am at last beginning to be happy with these 2 versions. Currently b/w but expecting to have lots of fun with colour variations, media etc, I would love for this to evolve in choice of media, and colours over time..with the basic structure being easily identified.

Quick background....I float between various disciplines of design...I collaborate 95% of the time...I can do the serious commercial work (my current job)....but I have the most joy in playing in print...experimenting with materials, printing techniques and wonderful printers, and I get very excited with using a hand elements in my own experimental works, and I am always trying to learn new techniques and approaches...

So please, critique away.... before I pull these of my fridge and shove them in the bin!. Thanks.:)

Attached Files:

2. jerryrock macrumors 6502

jerryrock

I prefer the first rendition. You should print these logos business card or letter head size and see if your font is still legible in the company name.

3. andrew050703 macrumors regular

andrew050703

I too prefer the first - maybe you could make both the stylised AC and the regular text a bit bolder - but the other comment about reduced sizes is valid.

Maybe if you took out the 'award creative' and stuck it under the disk, and brought the AC down a smidge to fill in space?

4. JJJosh41 macrumors regular

Just an option. Can be used without the Glossy look for a flat black logo mark or converted to any colors you wish. Versatile, simple, attractive, timeless. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

• ac1.jpg
      ac1.jpg
      File size:
      104.3 KB
      Views:
  5. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

both look good, i too would probably opt for the former though and keep the san-serif font.. defintely stick with flat over gloss though ^
    (no offense jjjosh141)

6. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

First option, because it's sharp and crisp and would be recognizable in a smaller form, like a business card or something. I wouldn't go with the gloss/glassy button look; It's sweet when it's used correctly, but it's really overdone these days.

7. alicat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks so much for your feedback....I was prefering the first option, but the dashed line version was from early on and was slightly emo attached..

Totally agree about the legibility of the name as brought up by jerryrock and andrew050703.... will need to play with a layout in bc etc to see if it is successful or if need to change the placement of the name.

JJosh41. thanks for taking the time to play with a mockup....I am not keen on the glossy reflection in the design as such, but was hoping to play with some version that the print itself was glossy, such as a lovely glossy sticker for some special occasions... especially if stuck on a matt paper....yummy

Digitalpencil...agree about the san serif font, it will help with the legibility....i think the other option was from very early on, so I was emo. attached.

Melrose, thanks for casting your vote :)

Interestingly the AC itself is not a AC but a 'A' scanned from my handwriting.....nice to see that people are applying the AC to it. Even though it was unintentional....

I will have a play and get back to you all

Thanks again al:)

8. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Funnily enough, I didn't see the "AC" until I looked at it a third or fourth time... I first thought it was just an A. It works, though :)

9. JasonElise1983 macrumors 6502a

JasonElise1983

i like the arrangement of the second one, but i do think there will be a problem in reproducing it. It just seems the type is too small. Maybe do another option with the mark being more of an icon and treat the text outside of it. Maybe play with your type a little more too. It could be a very nice look to juxtapose the hand done "A" with a san serif font instead of traditional serif. It would have to be the right san serif though. Anyway, that's all i got. I love the "A".

-je