Here we go...overhaul finally!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by This is Ryan, Jan 21, 2008.

1. This is Ryan macrumors newbie

Alright everyone, a month after I bugged you all about cleaning up my G5 and upgrading...I'm ready to do it.

Here's what I've got coming to my Dual 2ghz G5:
    3gb RAM from Crucial (1 512 pair and 1 1gb pair)
    1 Seagate 500gb HDD 7200rpm 32mb cache (SATA right?? I hope so!)
    My year old 27" Westinghouse LCD monitor (I upgraded TV's too...so I thought I'd use the old one for a monitor)
    Las but not least, Leopard.

Installing RAM doesn't scare me...though I did wonder if there was an order I should install in? Currently I've only got 1 pair of 512's installed on the computer. Should I move them and put the 1gb pair in the first 2 slots? I thought I heard that somewhere, but I don't remember.
    Installing the hard drive doesn't look too hard (am I wrong in thinking it's almost just a plug and play type idea??)
    And the monitor shouldn't require a different type of card or anything right?

So I'll install all that and then I want to install Leopard on the new drive and boot from there. So do I boot up like regular, install Leopard and choose that drive when I have the option...then choose the boot disk after the install? Or should I boot from the DVD?
    Also--once I've got that all set up, is migrating applications and files over from the old drive a pretty easy process?

The hard drive is here...and the RAM should be in tomorrow. I'm not working on Wednesday...so I'd like to get everything straightened out then. I'll look forward to everyone's advice!! :D:D

2. 9Charms macrumors regular

9Charms

- I don't think the RAM order matters, just as long as they're in matching slots
    - The monitor should be DVI, which is what you have (just look on the back of the computer)
    - The new HDD is pretty easy to install. You will need a screw driver to install the little black pegs on the side of it. The pegs should be screwed into the plastic panel next to your 2 HDD's.
    - For Leopard, you need to boot up off the DVD one way or another; it doesn't matter which way you do it. Then select your new HDD and do a clean install.
    - After install, the registration page will show up and then after that the migration assistant will ask you if you want to import your Apps and files from your old HDD. Clicking "yes" seems to work very well.

It's all pretty simple/basic stuff. It's almost impossible to screw up or kill your G5. Should take you 10 mins to install the hardware and whatever time to install leapard and transfer your files.