Here's a bent iPhone 5s

Copefree

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
My buddy came over this weekend and, nonchalantly, asked me if I'd ever seen a bent iPhone (he is a non-tech guy who doesn't pay much attention to gadget news).

I said, "GET OUTTA HERE!"

I thought he was just messing with me and all of the hoopla lately about the bent iPhone 6 Plus'.

Well, here you go, he said it must have happened at work while in his pocket (he works in manufacturing):

It still works just fine - no issues with functionality.

And, for the record, my launch-day iPhone 6 Plus still isn't bent.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
When I buy my iphone 5 some years ago when it was released I remember checking for any bend issues before accepting it at the store.

There are a lot of threads about the bend issue of the iphone 5 and because of that I check if it was 100% perfect without any issue.

The iphone has bend issues since the iphone 5 and Apple has done anything to fix this issue.

Jayson A

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Yes, the 5 and 5s can be bent but they take a LOT more force to bend a 5 due to it's size and thickness.

By the way, I put a ruler on my iPad mini and its sunken a little in the center. Never noticed before.

Cool Pup

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Dallas, TX
Sure, it happened. But look at how much thicker the 5s is to the 6/Plus, which means it requires a lot more pressure to bend.

Again, there will be more bent 6 Plus models than any other phone because of the structural integrity of the device.

kingofwale

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
we all know that 5S is almost twice as strong as iPhone 6.

so I would recommend your friend not to do the same thing if he gets a iPhone 6.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I've seen friend's bent iPhone 5. Not as severe as your friend's, but it was noticeable.

McDaddio

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2014
Not the same as the 6+

Many of the bending 6+ are 128g which was NOT an option on the 5s.

The extra weight of those extra 64G may create a potential magno-imbalance which, coincidently is nearly perfectly perpendicular to the plane of resistance near the volume buttons.

flyinmac

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2006
United States
My buddy came over this weekend and, nonchalantly, asked me if I'd ever seen a bent iPhone (he is a non-tech guy who doesn't pay much attention to gadget news).

I thought he was just messing with me and all of the hoopla lately about the bent iPhone 6 Plus'.

Well, here you go, he said it must have happened at work while in his pocket (he works in manufacturing):

That's not bent... However, you are now in violation of nondisclosure agreements for leaking the prototype of the top secret iPhone Flex... nice going... better pack your bags... lol :p

----------

Chuck Norris could bend a boulder.
You just bent my mind :eek:

Matacarvalho

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2013

That iphone saved his life from something :p

mtneer

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2012
Tons of posts from 2012 with bent iPhone 5's in the archives. "Bendgate" was first coined back then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.