Here's a challenging one: Figure out how to stop the unstoppable dinging

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by RandomHavoc, Dec 31, 2013.

1. RandomHavoc macrumors member

Hi everyone,

my iPad has been occasionally dinging for no apparent reason (nothing appears on screen or in notification centre). After some checking I finally determined that it's when I get an email to my yahoo account that it dings.
    I don't want any email notifications at all so I'd thought I'd shut those off.
    I THOUGHT I'd figured it out because the noise is the tone named "ding" and I found in settings>sound that new mail was set to 'ding'.
    BUT to test my theory I changed it to another sound and exited settings, turned off the screen, and sent myself another yahoo email. THE SAME DING AGAIN! I was so sure that I'd found it, but no! What else can I possibly try?

I know for sure it's because of yahoo emails, I've turned off notifications to every email thing I can think of but it still keeps happening!

Please help!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

3. RandomHavoc thread starter macrumors member

If you mean turn the whole iPad to silent that's not an acceptable solution. If you mean turn the setting within "sound" to silent I tried that too and it did nothing. Still makes the exact same "ding" tone.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Settings, Notification Center, Mail, Yahoo, Alert Sound, None.

Is this what you've tried?

If so, also make sure to check under VIP, if you have any set up there.

5. RandomHavoc thread starter macrumors member

YES!! That did it!
    I would've sworn I'd shut that off, but apparently I turned off all the other notifications in that section but missed the sound one. Man I feel dumb.

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

6. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

No problem, glad I could help.