Here's a comparison of my notes with the same settings on Notability: Pencil vs generic stylus

Discussion in 'iPad' started by erure, Nov 20, 2015.

1. erure macrumors regular

http://imgur.com/a/BC2U2

One set of notes are taken with the Apple Pencil and the other with a generic microfiber stylus. The Apple Pencil's tip takes a bit of getting used to -- it's harder and smoother than the microfiber stylus that I'm used to. I was surprised that my notes look a little bit better with the microfiber stylus but that's probably because I'm not used to the Pencil yet. Overall writing experience is much better with the Apple Pencil because I don't have to write in zoom mode and my palms can touch the screen. Also I think my writing was a bit faster with the Pencil, and with less "errors."

2. arminta7 macrumors regular

arminta7

Your handwriting is ridiculously perfect. It looks like it could be its own font.

3. fanta88 macrumors 6502

I have to agree. At first, I thought I was looking at the font for the skeuomorphic Notes circa iOS5-iOS6.

4. cynics macrumors G4

My handwriting looks like a child writing with their non dominate hand compared to yours.

5. unknown23 macrumors newbie

unknown23

that's how I feel about mine too.

6. Nausicaa macrumors 6502a

I think the problem with this comparison is you used a zoom mode I presume? If you're writing big letters and then shrinking it to this size that's going to mask where the Pencil excels, which is small quick print that the capacative stylus literally could not capture. Try writing at a similar size with both and no zoom and see how it looks.

7. erure thread starter macrumors regular

That's a very valid and helpful suggestion. Thank you! I added another page into the same album where you can compare the notes with the Apple Pencil and the microfiber tip stylus WITHOUT zoom mode. The difference is super obvious that the Apple Pencil is much better to work with in that situation. I would have added more lines but writing with the microfiber tip stylus without zoom mode was too painful to bear.

Also, thank you for all the sweet comments about my handwriting. I swear med school trains the good handwriting out of you -- it gets uglier by the day.

8. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

My writing used to be approximately 75% as good as yours. Now years of Apples splendid keyboards have caused my writing to degenerate alarmingly. How am I supposed to focus on the topic at hand after viewing your stellar example ... HA...HA...:D

9. erure thread starter macrumors regular

Aw shucks I'm flattered! Perhaps it's time for you to go back to writing things by hand? :D

On a side note I added another page with notes and drawings done with the Apple Pencil. I am in love!

10. JonSarge3108 macrumors regular

JonSarge3108

Can you please share what hemopoiesis is please?

Got my brain wondering now...

11. genomez macrumors member

You mention pressure sensitive ink setting in Notability. Can you tell me where that setting is?

12. erure thread starter macrumors regular

http://imgur.com/VgbzByG
    If you click on the pen, there are two styles. The one on the right (the one selected in the picture) is the pressure sensitive one. Hope this helps!

13. erure thread starter macrumors regular

Hemopoiesis is basically the process of making blood! :)

14. aevan macrumors 68000

aevan

Holy crap, you have pretty handwriting :)

15. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

All of it looks great to me.

Need someone with bad handwriting to do this test :p

16. genomez macrumors member

That did the trick. Thank you!

17. erure thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you! :)

Thank you! *blush*

Glad to hear it! :)

18. SHirsch999 macrumors 6502a

Threads like this make me wish I was back in school so I had a reason to take notes on my iPad.

19. friedmud macrumors 65816

Yep: zooming is the difference.

For the past 3 semesters I've been annotating slides during class using a normal stylus with an iPad Air. Because of all of the zooming required to write legibly it makes me terribly slow, and sometimes I have trouble keeping up.

The Pencil is completely different. I don't need to zoom at all. I can leave the full slide on the IPP and write as small as I like and it comes out looking just like it does on paper.

I'm super impressed so far!

20. JT2002TJ macrumors 6502a

Well... Go back... I debate with myself all the time about going for a PhD.

21. ke-iron macrumors 6502a

Lol I'll be testing this as soon as I get my pencil!

22. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

I realised this morning .... I'm a prime candidate and have the pencil. Though the MR community does not need to be punished with my shocking hand writing

23. tillsbury macrumors 65816

Lol I agree, that's the most amazing hand printing I've seen outside an architectural office. How long does it take you to write a page of notes like that? Are you doing that live in a lecture? :-O

24. Beards macrumors 6502a

Beards

Forget Med School... Wait until you have finished and you are in practice. After 20 years your handwriting becomes unintelligible.
    Worse, become a surgeon and your handwriting looks more like hieroglyphics!!

25. MarcoCapa macrumors regular

Fever?
    Night sweats?
    However Great calligraphy
    P.S. Are you a med student?