Here's a fix if you are having freezing issues in Windows 8 on BootCamp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mossme89, May 17, 2013.

1. mossme89 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone,

I've been having freezing issues on my Late 2008 unibody MacBook Pro. I've searched constantly and it took me forever to get the issue resolved, but I finally did and wanted to post a couple potential fixes for anyone looking for one.

The Issue: After about 10 minutes of up time, Windows 8 completely freezes and becomes unresponsive. The mouse doesn't move, nothing works. The only way to resolve this is to reboot.

What fixed it for me:
    -Open CMD as an administrator
    -Enter "bcdedit /set disabledynamictick yes"
    -You're done!

Why it freezed: On Windows 8, Microsoft implemented a feature called Dynamic Tick that stops the CPU when the PC is idling. As you can imagine, this can cause a lot of issues as some programs count on the CPU being available. Plus it barely saves any power.

Other potential fixes: If the above didn't work for you, try:
    -Updating your Nvidia drivers, the 320M has issues with Windows 8 and should be updated
    -Enable Hyper V by going to Control Panel (the desktop version) -> Programs and features (from the icon view) -> Turn Windows Features On Or Off. Then click Hyper V.

Hope this helps!

2. BigBuckeye1 macrumors newbie

Need your help Mossme89

Hey Mossme89!

Glad to see you have Windows 8 working on your late 2008 MBP. I too have the late 2008 model and would be super gracious if you could try to help me out with some issues I've been having with bootcamp :)

I was able to download windows 8 without problems the first time using bootcamp 4 acting as if I was downloading windows 7 as instructed before bootcamp 5 was released. I had the whole dynamic tick problem as well, but after some internet digging got that resolved and windows 8 worked like a dream for my purposes, until a few days ago. After downloading a heap of windows downloads I had lazily avoided, I went to reboot to complete the downloads but was very quickly confronted with a black screen. The boot up process didnt even make it to the windows emblem and spinning circles, the white "terminal" looking cursor appeared quickly in the top left, but then disappears and im left to watch in defeat as my partition fails to boot.

After countless tries to find a workaround by booting up in safe mode or using my windows 8 disk to repair, the quick failure of the boot up made it impossible to fix. Since most of my windows purposes were accessible through the internet and I wouldnt lose any super important data, i decided to remove the partition via boot camp and start over. I repeated the steps I used the first time and the disk partitioned properly, but when it goes to instal, the black screen problem is still present and I don't see any windows emblems or instructions to download.

Im assuming its a graphics driver issue and the windows 8 installer doesnt have the graphics driver to support my NVIDIA GF 9400m graphics card. You seem to know what you're doing and I would GREATLY appreciate any help to retrieve the functionality of my windows partition. Thanks in advance :)