heres a look at invisible shield for mbpr

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Qbiinz, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Qbiinz macrumors newbie

first i thought this was gonna be a pain in the ass to put on, but after installing the hd invisible shield on iPad3 this was actually a piece of cake. I'm really liking it, I've used it for about a week now. I'm not a fan of hard cases, BUMP for reasons why. So if you want to retains its super sleek look, give it second to none scratch protection, and give it a nice grippy surface, i recommend the invisible shield.

Attached Files:

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

It still baffles me that people buy this stuff.

3. inlinevolvo macrumors 6502

Is the unibody prone to scratches? Enough to cover it.

4. jcpb macrumors 6502a

5. Fatt macrumors member

Grippy surface you say? Do you just mean in your hands or does that film also add some grip when on a smooth surface? How do you think it would do on a smooth slanted surface?

6. ZipZap macrumors 601

I do like the material.

My gripe is the fact that it does not go to the edge or at least within a mm.

There is a big gap of exposed metal. So whats the point when an area that is likely damaged is exposed.

Has anyone tried to apply with a hairdryer and stretch the material?

----------

What baffles me is why Apple continues to make the cases from slippery material. Yeah, they look great but that rMBP can slip from your hands pretty easily.

7. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

I wonder the same thing some times. I snapped a clear Speck case on my mbp and call it a day.

But, to each their own. People still put screen protectors on their brand new mobile devices with scratch proof glass. /shrugs

8. zerotiu macrumors regular

For me, weight and space are important. I don't want to add more weights and keep it slim as slim as possible..let alone you get 30%-50% discount :p

IMO for mobile device, yes it is redundant to add protector but it makes the screen smooth, swiping is better than using our fingers directly on the glass surface. :D

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've owned Apple's aluminum laptops since the G4 Powerbook days and while aluminum is soft and can scratch, I never (knocks on wood) had a problem with it. The bottom is the area that is most likely to get scratched but with that said, all my laptops have always been in pristine shape and I got top dollar in selling them because of that.

10. Quazimojo macrumors regular

Quazimojo

Yes but some people are clumsy by nature, so for them this stuff is a no brainer.

I like the idea of keeping the same exact form factor and also not worrying about where i set the machine down.

Having it on the palmrest though seems like it would make your hands sweat abit more if your a lazy typist :D :eek:

11. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Wow, the aligning on that shield is terrible compared to other clear skins available. Also, way too glossy!

12. theAXEDhead macrumors member

Scratch proof, my ar....

I have 5 iPads and every single one has obtained serious scratches on the glass. Scratch proof my ar....

However, I agree with the rest of the sentiments here, in that I still do not care to cover the design with anything additional.

13. TickleMeElmo macrumors regular

To be completely honest I think a macbook with some blemishes is inherently more aesthetic than a "perfect" macbook with a full covering of plastic over it.

People buy Macbooks because they have anodized aluminium casings, but then they cover it up with the kind of glossy cheap plastic that is no better than your $500 Acer laptop in Best Buy.

Let's face it a skin isn't going to stop dents or anything more than superficial scuffs and small scratches. You aren't going to get more resale out of a perfect Macbook than one with minor blemishes. I really don't see the point.

14. zone23 macrumors 68000

Thanks OP for sharing. I understand why you would want to protect your investment. Sometimes its nice not worrying about getting crap on your machine. I looked at a couple of those snap on cases they make in different colors kinda like the blue.

15. pgiguere1, Jul 15, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2012

pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Same, I went through 3 aluminium Apple laptops so far, and not a single scratch. Even if I had a couple, they'd be way more subtle than this ugly glossy plastic that probably sells at a 90%+ profit margin.

Sorry OP, it's nice that you took the time to post images but from my experience I would simply not recommend anyone buying this for their Mac. Just a sleeve for transport and you should be fine.

Sure maybe you could remove it once you sell it and it would have saved you a couple subtle scratches but how much more value could it have? 50$? That's probably the price of this plastic, and even if in end you ended up making an extra 20-50$ it doesn't seem worth the ugliness and crappy feeling IMO.

16. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

I disagree!

17. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

I disagree too! I'm sure you could sell the scratch-free one for 55$ more.

But hey look, this plastic costs 55$ too!

You would end up getting flush and making your 2-3k laptop ugly for no reason. :p

18. suprsho macrumors newbie

On the contrary, it "baffles" me when people put those hardshell cases on their MacBooks/iPhone. What's the point of making every hardware iteration thinner if you're just going to put casing over it?

Kudos to the OP for sharing. I have a Wrapsol on my rMBP and have been pretty happy with it. At the end of day, these things are just meant to gave us a peace of mind against normal daily uses/wear.

oh, and NOTHING on a Mac/iPhone is scratch proof.

19. mohsy90 macrumors 65816

mohsy90

Would you mind posting pics of your wrapsol? Is it also glossy like this invisible shield that the OP used?

20. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

i don't like the plasticy fell that the reflections in that picture give off, it just disguises the beautifulness of that chrome finish that comes with every macbook pro! :D

21. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

Thanks for posting, OP. I'm interested in the bottom part for grip although it's less of an issue with the lighter rMBP.

22. wankey macrumors 6502a

Agreed it looks absolutely disgusting. It doesn't protect against anything realistically other than clumsiness.

23. ColoArtist macrumors regular

I've probably had too much rMBP on the brain lately while waiting for my BTO rMBP to arrive. I also got a Wrapsol...not just the film covers, but also the grip pad for the bottom.

I've had a number of MBPs and they've all been a bit slippery. My iPad had the same problem, so in addition to Apple's leather cover, I also got a leather shell for the back. It made the iPad much easier to hang on to.

I figured I'd see if a cover helped the rMBP too. I went with th Wrapsol because the film looked to be matte not shiny, and because of the afore mentioned grip pad. I don't have the rMBP yet, but I've got the Wrapsol kit. The film is matte and has a slightly grippy surface, not smooth.

So, did you get the grip pad too?

:apple:

24. Mavrack macrumors member

Mavrack

I had Invisashield for my iPhone... Worst piece of garbage that I ever bought for it. It peeled, would have to reinstall it when it did peel, looked awful, felt awful and was just a horrible screen/body protector. I have no idea why anyone would put that on anything, let alone a Laptop. Ghost Armour however seems to be actually pretty good from my experiences.

25. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

My brand new rMBP had a tiny nick on the left edge of the lid out of the box. It is tiny, but I can see it if i'm looking for it, and I can feel it if I run my finger along the edge. Other than the nick, I've found no other flaws in operation or cosmetics, but you got me thinking about resale. Would you exchange a new Mac in this situation?