Here's a new question for you: Where should i put my charger?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by macdudesir, Dec 26, 2011.

1. macdudesir macrumors 6502

So I just got my Macbook Air yesterday, and i already have 4 cycles on the battery...I have my charger for my MBA set up in my "electronics room" with my iMac and my xbox and all of my PC's. So whenever the battery died, i just took it up there, plugged it in, but i didn't use it because i have my iMac up there right next to it. So is this maybe not the most efficient place to put my charger? I don't want to put an unnecessary strain on the battery...(yes GGJ i have read the battery FAQ :rolleyes: )

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can put your charger wherever you like, or take it with you when you move around. There is no right or wrong place to put the charger. If you read the FAQ, you would know that you're not putting any strain on the battery by using it on battery power or on AC power.

3. simsaladimbamba

Just put it in the socket and put the cable into the MBA whenever you feel save.
    And the FAQ should have also told you to use the battery and power adapter to its optimum.

Or you could just use it. It doesn't really matter.

4. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

I mean putting very many cycles on it. The FAQ says it will hold 80% at 1000 cycles...So the more cycles i put on it, the faster it will lose charge.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can use around a cycle a day and not hit 1000 cycles for close to 3 years. Even if it drops below 80%, the battery is still useable. It doesn't die when you reach 79% or 1001 cycles. Just run on battery when you need to and plug it in whenever you can. As long as you're not running on AC power all the time, there's nothing to worry about.... as it says in the Battery FAQ.

6. simsaladimbamba, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

simsaladimbamba

Thus the more often you use it on battery, especially when you could just connect it to the charger, the more cycles you will get.
    You do understand what a cycle is though, don't you?
    Trivialised example: One cycle is roughly worth four hours of charge, thus you have four thousand hours of power before you hit 1000 cycles. That would mean you could use it for 24 hours on battery for almost half a year. If you use your Mac for six hours, you get two years out of it, just before you hit that cycle count. Thus using it via the power adapter, you can prolong that count.

7. macdudesir, Dec 26, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011

macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, thank you very much. I think ill just move the power adapter sometimes when i plan to be using it a lot. Thanks again to everyone for their help.

Edit: I just devised a great solution...my extension cord (the one that comes with every mac) is upstairs in the Electronics room and since i can just remove the extension cord and put the straight plug back in (on the brick) easily, ill just take that around sometimes.

Just felt like sharing in case anyone else is having the same dilemma.

8. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I have a total of 5 Apple power adapters located in different areas that I normally use my Macs. Get the Apple 85W one in case you get a 15" or 17" MBP in the future.

9. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about doing that too...but money is tight right now...how much do those cost?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

11. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

12. VMMan macrumors 6502a

I think J&R is good if they don't charge sales tax for your state. Amazon used to be good, but they no longer sell the Apple 85W adapters. Only third party merchants sell them and in "bulk packaging" for reduced prices on Amazon marketplace. There are other places that will sell third party refurbs for a lot less than Apples $79.

13. LAS.mac macrumors 6502

I have two chargers. The one which came with laptop which I keep home and, when travel, bring with me; and a spare one I bought which I keep in the office. So when I need to bring the laptop with me @office I don't have to carry it, and eventually forget it.
    The one @home stays always connect into a drawer enclosure with only the charging cable cropping out. In the drawer I have a multiple plug with the laptop charger, an iPhone one, as well as one for another cell phone. I was charging my Palm there too when still using it. And only the three cables are around. I always charge all my electronic devices in the same place for sake of comfort, and don't waste time searching for forgotten adaptors...

14. TPadden macrumors 6502a

Now ....... where do I put my thumb? I don't want to break it when I sit down (even though I have 2). :eek:

15. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

I sense a disturbance in the force... :p

16. glen e macrumors 68030

He's making light of a situation as you are far too much overthinking it......the friggin battery and the MBA will outlive you and your use for it.....just go have fun..

17. macdudesir thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol, i know what he was saying. :rolleyes: I do tend to over think things.

18. VMMan macrumors 6502a

All enthusiasts tend to over think every aspect of some hobby or toy they enjoy.

That's why I frequent these forums so much -- for discussions with like-minded enthusiasts. I could do without the flame wars though.