Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Heres a odd one for you guys.

I am a ham radio operator. I use a Yaesu MD-100 Desk Mic.

Has anyone ever heard of using a Mic like this for a computer for audio?

Is there a adapter? I have not heard of one.

More info on the mic is here.

http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/mics/0287.html

Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Might just sell it and get a Blue mic.

Mike

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
what exactly are you trying to accomplish by hooking this mic up to a computer?

It has excellent recording sound. I was looking for chat, podcast, sound recording, dictation, ect. A couple of my ham friends on the mac have said they doubt it sadly.

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Plus that and at its cost it would be great to use it for other purposes.

occams razor

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
It shouldnt be to hard to make your own adapter. Are you looking to plug it directly into the mic in or are you wanting to go into a USB box that has jacks for something like a stage microphone? If you can get the pin out for the current connector on it I can help you out alittle more. I personally would make some type of adapter that way you can still use it with your ham. If your wanting to make it a dedicated computer mic you can always hack off the stock connector and re-wire it to a different connector.

occams razor

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Salem, OR
Okay sorry for another post. With something like this

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrack.html

Depending on how the mic works you could probably get away with making a adapter with a standard 3 pin male mic connection on one end to plug into the m-audio box and the male side of what your mic plugs into. Like I said depending on how your mic works you may be able to get away with just wiring up the up-down-ground wires and get it to work. Looking over the page you suPplied you may or may not be able to use the base as I would assume the other 4 or 5 wires in the stock plug goto driving the features incorporated into it. Anyways hope this info helps you some and if I can help in anyway let me know and I will try

W1MRK

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 9, 2010
Thanks very much for your response. I was just told a fact I had overlooked. The mic is wired at 500 ohm impeadance. Matching it is not going to be easy and will probably not turn out the way I wanted. Thank you very much for your info and posts. I really appreciate it.

Mike

Okay sorry for another post. With something like this

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrack.html

Depending on how the mic works you could probably get away with making a adapter with a standard 3 pin male mic connection on one end to plug into the m-audio box and the male side of what your mic plugs into. Like I said depending on how your mic works you may be able to get away with just wiring up the up-down-ground wires and get it to work. Looking over the page you suPplied you may or may not be able to use the base as I would assume the other 4 or 5 wires in the stock plug goto driving the features incorporated into it. Anyways hope this info helps you some and if I can help in anyway let me know and I will try

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.