Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
I stopped watching television once I started college, and for a period of about two years, didn't even own a television. It was a great experience -- especially the increased physical activity, resulting in a loss of nearly 50 pounds. Although recently I have enjoyed watching the occasional Law and Order, People's Court or Judge Mathis. That's about it though.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
heabrook said:
Sorry if reading this thread was a waste of your time
heabrook, welcome to MR - Note a forum convention here: look for the smiley face. pknz's use of :p means that the waste of time comment was to be taken humorously - a self-referential comment perhaps that any activity (including obsessive posting to MR which I certainly am not guilty of :p despite not owning a tv for the past 18 years ;) ) can be a waste of time in the eyes of the beholder.

The other thing you can count on is that you will never receive a straight answer in this forum unless you ask a cut and dried question (and often not even then). Nature of open forums - especially if you post an opinion piece - is that you will get speculation on the meaning of the post, speculation on the intention of the post, speculation on the initial speculation, rebuttal to the speculation on the speculation, critique of the spelling and grammar of the post, clarification on the rebuttal etc. until the entire thread devolves into a discussion of favourite snack foods or whether new Macs will be announced on Tuesday.

It's nothing personal, it's just the way we play in this sandbox here. Welcome to MR.

Mmmmm... Donuts.

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
i don't know when i watch House it makes me think(not drain me), and CSI does the same thing but to a lesser degree. Family Guy/The Simpsons are FUNNY. And CNN for news is quick ,easy source

angelneo

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2004
afk
I think if you watch TV selectively, you can actually learn something out of the programmes. I mean there are some quality shows out there that we can learn from. No doubt there are tons of junk out on TV land but there are shows that are more like quality story-telling as well as shows that just make us laugh and relax.

mymemory

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2001
Miami
I do not watch TV for more than an hour, I do it to actually distract my mind and clear it up.

But I am in the internet for at list 10 hours a day and I can tell my social life have been affected very bad. I spent too much time with myself and I am always in my own world.

My older brother is a tv freak, he is even worse because he does not go out on weekends, he is 38 and spend fridays and sundays watching tv instead of going out, he does not have a girlfriend and is very immature when socializing. At list I got laid with 2 different girls last year probably more of what he had in his life time.

But is that, the only show I used to watch was Friends with my gf and Thats 70's show and Scrubs. My brother watches even Desperate House Wifes and he knows everything about the show and every other show.

What make me sick is what I saw the other day in a documentary in the Discovery Channel when a "scientist" was talking about robots and he said that we should create the robots to do what we do not like to do so we can do what we like the most that is: surf the internet and watch tv!!!! what a looser, ther is some one who didn't get laid last year neither.

But in the US tv is taking a place in the way you resolve the day, the same with movie theaters during the summer, is replacing exercising and socilizing and so many organic/natural human behaviours. That is not healthy. You can have a tv to relax a bit but not to fill up your life.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
heabrook said:
Just thought I'd share... In our opinions, TV is a huge waste of time. <snip for brevity> It's not really about the content, more about the waste of time.
Isn't that the point? What, you mean to say watching TV to stimulate your mind and provide compelling, educational content?
Here's to the Crazy Ones

nospleen

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2002
Texas
puckhead193 said:
i think the new series 3 tivo has another tuner. :confused:

They now have up to 3 tuners?!?! I seriously cannot believe I watch that much tv. At least with Tivo, I watch it in half the time:p My name is Brandon and I am a Tivoholic...

cwright

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2004
Missouri
puckhead193 said:
watching 24 hours of tv of the show 24 isn't a waste of time IMO:p
I couldn't agree more :)

I don't know what I'd do without my 24, Lost, and Family Guy.

BTW, the 24 season premiere tonight (part 1) was AWESOME!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.