Here's a way to save money on an LTE iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Stayfly2407, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

If you already have an LTE phone, just buy into the hotspot on your smartphone & get a wifi only iPad. Since you have LTE on ur phone you'll be getting it anyway pushing it to your iPad. Instead of paying for ur phones data plan AND a iPad data plan. Just pay one, & still have LTE. Thats what I'm doing.

2. Basement06 macrumors newbie

Wow, did you come up with that original idea all by yourself? Oh wait...I got a great idea for a name!!! Let's call it "tethering"! Man, I'm so smart sometimes... :rolleyes:

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

This thread might be better suited for an Android forum.

4. doboy macrumors 68000

Genius, except I don't own a LTE phone.:(

/sarcasm

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Please dont take this question the wrong way, no insult intended.

How old are you? :confused:

6. kalex macrumors 65816

for those that have iphones LTE ipad is the only options :)

7. Stayfly2407, Mar 15, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012

Stayfly2407 thread starter macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Im 31 and a manager at an cor AT&T store, I dont see the point in buying a LTE ipad when people have LTE phones and the ability to use the hotspot and save money

8. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Oh, ok.

Well, since Apple doesn't make an LTE phone, this idea is not very good. :apple:

9. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

hes just trying to help everyone out... no need to insult the man.

10. blurredline macrumors 6502

blurredline

You're being far too kind ;)

11. Stayfly2407 thread starter macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

The next iPhone will

12. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

Really ?

And you work for AT&T and use Sprint ? http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=13523954&postcount=6

13. CNeufeld macrumors 6502a

Well, I got the LTE model not because I wanted/needed the speed, but because I didn't like tethering and eating my phone battery.

C

14. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

15. Stayfly2407 thread starter macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Yup, another business I do. Had sprint long time ago. What else do you need my thumb print?:D

----------

That sprint 4S I bought for my fiancé. Any other questions?

16. BBman macrumors member

Correct me if I am wrong doesn't verizon charge an extra $30 to tether from your LTE phone?

pretty much the same thing

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

You not seeing the point doesn't mean that there aren't valid reasons to buy a LTE iPad. Here are two:

-For people who travel outside the US the presence of a SIM slot into which a local SIM can be inserted is invaluable.

-Many people travel for business and don't want to drain their phone battery unnecessarily by tethering other devices.

As for "saving money" there's such a thing as being penny wise and pound foolish. There are a lot of business owners and business travelers for whom the $30 or so monthly tariff actual enables them to be more productive thereby balancing out the relatively minor cost. And the way most people should be looking at this "optional" purchase of a LTE device and "optional" use of data is that Apple is actually looking out for customers by giving buyers who don't need such features a lower price. As for the rest of us, if there wasn't value in the purchase, we wouldn't be buying it.

18. kevink2 macrumors 65816

Doesn't the iPhone, for example, turn off the hot spot capability after awhile if there isn't any usage to save on battery life? So if, after 30 minutes, you want to do a quick lookup on the iPad you have to enable it on your phone again?

Of course, if you are tight on money, but still can stretch for an iPad, you can save $130 on a wi-fi model and save on the data plan for the iPad and pay for hot spot capability.

It would be nice if ATT provided a way to share data between a phone and a iPad. Then you wouldn't have to pay for 3gb on an iPhone and for a separate data plan on the iPad if the 3GB generally sufficed for combined usage.