Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA
If you already have an LTE phone, just buy into the hotspot on your smartphone & get a wifi only iPad. Since you have LTE on ur phone you'll be getting it anyway pushing it to your iPad. Instead of paying for ur phones data plan AND a iPad data plan. Just pay one, & still have LTE. Thats what I'm doing.

Basement06

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
If you already have an LTE phone, just buy into the hotspot on your smartphone & get a wifi only iPad. Since you have LTE on ur phone you'll be getting it anyway pushing it to your iPad. Instead of paying for ur phones data plan AND a iPad data plan. Just pay one, & still have LTE. Thats what I'm doing.

Wow, did you come up with that original idea all by yourself? Oh wait...I got a great idea for a name!!! Let's call it "tethering"! Man, I'm so smart sometimes... :rolleyes:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida

Please dont take this question the wrong way, no insult intended.

How old are you? :confused:

Stayfly2407

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 1, 2011
VA
Please dont take this question the wrong way, no insult intended.

How old are you? :confused:

Im 31 and a manager at an cor AT&T store, I dont see the point in buying a LTE ipad when people have LTE phones and the ability to use the hotspot and save money

Last edited by a moderator:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Im 31 and a manager at a cor AT&T store, i really dont see the point in why people with LTE phones buy a LTE ipad when they can just use the hotspot and save money....makes no sense:rolleyes:

Oh, ok.

Well, since Apple doesn't make an LTE phone, this idea is not very good. :apple:

optophobia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Hudson MA
Im 31 and a manager at a cor AT&T store, i really dont see the point in why people with LTE phones buy a LTE ipad when they can just use the hotspot and save money....makes no sense:rolleyes:

----------

Im 31 and a manager at an cor AT&T store, I dont see the point in buying a LTE ipad when people have LTE phones and the ability to use the hotspot and save money

Really ?

And you work for AT&T and use Sprint ? https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/13523954/

CNeufeld

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Edmonton, AB

----------

Well, I got the LTE model not because I wanted/needed the speed, but because I didn't like tethering and eating my phone battery.

C

BBman

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2012
Correct me if I am wrong doesn't verizon charge an extra $30 to tether from your LTE phone?

pretty much the same thing

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010

You not seeing the point doesn't mean that there aren't valid reasons to buy a LTE iPad. Here are two:

-For people who travel outside the US the presence of a SIM slot into which a local SIM can be inserted is invaluable.

-Many people travel for business and don't want to drain their phone battery unnecessarily by tethering other devices.

As for "saving money" there's such a thing as being penny wise and pound foolish. There are a lot of business owners and business travelers for whom the $30 or so monthly tariff actual enables them to be more productive thereby balancing out the relatively minor cost. And the way most people should be looking at this "optional" purchase of a LTE device and "optional" use of data is that Apple is actually looking out for customers by giving buyers who don't need such features a lower price. As for the rest of us, if there wasn't value in the purchase, we wouldn't be buying it.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
Doesn't the iPhone, for example, turn off the hot spot capability after awhile if there isn't any usage to save on battery life? So if, after 30 minutes, you want to do a quick lookup on the iPad you have to enable it on your phone again?

Of course, if you are tight on money, but still can stretch for an iPad, you can save $130 on a wi-fi model and save on the data plan for the iPad and pay for hot spot capability.

It would be nice if ATT provided a way to share data between a phone and a iPad. Then you wouldn't have to pay for 3gb on an iPhone and for a separate data plan on the iPad if the 3GB generally sufficed for combined usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.