Here's an idea: shake hands -> contacts exchanged via watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by leukotriene, Mar 29, 2015.

1. leukotriene macrumors regular

Imagine meeting someone at a business conference, you greet one another, shake hands, have a conversation, and walk away.

The next day you want to get in touch with that person, but only remember their face. So you scroll through all your most recent handshakes on your apple watch, find that one guy's face, and now you've got his name, email, e-business card, whatever.

Obviously the privacy would have to be tailored such that you can decide what info to give up when you shake hands with another apple watch owner, but I think it's a pretty clever idea nonetheless, no? I bet Apple Watch 2 will have it. :)

2. Sharkey311 Suspended

Interesting thought. I wonder how they'd be able to implement it.

3. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

But you know, most people wear their watches on the left and shake with their right. Not sure if you're implying the movement of shaking hands should be enough to trigger the exchange because this wouldn't work for the majority of cases.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This idea is a failure if you think about it (nobody will shake with their left hands, not even the lefties).

5. Karnicopia, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

Karnicopia macrumors 6502

It's still a really cool idea and really handy. Maybe a apple watch handed fist bump lol. Or if you do a long press of the contacts button it will add an apple watch nearby. Make the distance short so it's the person you are interacting with. Hard to get around how elegant the handshake would be though, maybe just shake with watch hand if you want to add the contact.

6. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

Nintendo Street Pass ... no handshake required ... interesting idea though ...

7. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

Since the day that Apple Watch was first introduced, I was surprised Apple didn't integrate watch to watch contact transfer via NFC. I imagine that it wouldn't be initated via handshake, but rather each watch user would have to confirm the contact transfer via the button below the crown when both watches are within a close proximity. It would basically be the digital equivalent of exchanging business cards.

8. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

I don't understand how the :apple:Watch is supposed to know if you are shaking hands or just standing close to someone?:confused:

Wouldn't this be a bad idea for the subway or bus?

9. lewisd25 macrumors 6502a

I think the transfer would have to be initiated by both people within in a certain distance. This would eliminate unintentional contact sharing and protect privacy.

10. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

So you get a notification and then the option to accept or not within a certain distance? Kind of like AirDrop for your contact info? How does handshaking fit into the scenario?

11. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

Yep I think this would probably be the best way. Have both people long press contact buttons and it brings up their picture on your screen confirming you want to share your info with them. They would have to confirm they want to share their info with you the same way. Beforehand you set up what kind of info you would want to share with people as a general setting. You could maybe even have different sharing types, business friend family etc. may not want to share FB with business associate, may just want to send FB with social type. May share almost everything with family type etc. may have a manual one where you just check what you want to share.

12. Zxxv macrumors 68040

it'd probably get triggered in the bathroom shaking your dick after taking a pee. A whole line of men exchanging contacts wrists buzzing and beeping all at once is not a sight or a party I want to be privy too.

13. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

90% of people are right handed/wear watch on left and 51% of people are female.:eek:

14. cmChimera macrumors 68040

cmChimera

I agree here. This sounds impractical for the Watch.

On a subway or a crowded area, this could happen frequently. It would be better if one user had to initiate it, and the user had to accept. (Like Airdrop) At that point though, you might as well be using your phone.

15. NeutralGeek, Mar 29, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2015

NeutralGeek macrumors regular

Reeks of Android bumping phones stupid gimmick that no one really cared about (except for a few bros). I am surprised Android Gear had not started this dumb gimmicky movement yet. It was so fascinating that it reminded me of the early days of phandroids favorite sports / pissing contests - we have this, our phones are so much cooler than yours, iSheep. Lol

16. leukotriene thread starter macrumors regular

Yup nevermind guys. You're all right. I completely forgot that people wear their watch on the left but shake hands with their right hand.

Two apple watches shaking in unison could trigger an event to exchange contacts, but that 100% relies on the the shaking hand to also be the apple watch hand.

So nevermind! Strike it from the record!

17. rjlawrencejr macrumors 6502

A little off topic, but to be fair there was the Bump app for iPhone - I want to say it was part of the first wave of apps in 2008. However I agree it was gimmicky.

18. lentus macrumors member

Apple releases a watch, World starts shaking hands with their left hand.
    Mind would be blown.

19. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

"We not only reinvented the watch, we reinvented the handshake."

20. HEDocks macrumors newbie

HEDocks

perhaps this might work if Apple opened up the NFC to third parties? Then people could just their watches close to each other?

21. shacky macrumors regular

shacky

I think it's a great idea and am glad you posted it. The fact that people wear their watch on the opposite hand is an obvious deal killer but I applaud the creative idea.

The NFC tap is a great idea and you should be able to do it with watches and iPhones. Not a new idea, but a feature we don't have and maybe the watch will be a catalyst to get it going.