Here's how I want note-taking to work

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by dove, Apr 14, 2011.

1. dove macrumors member

The title of this thread might sound a bit self-absorbed but I bought lots of note-taking apps and it's getting frustrating that none of them deliver what I want. Since people seem to like creating note-taking apps I figure I might as well put my ideas 'out there'. :)

Basically, I want a crossbreed of uPad and Notability.

To start, when I start a note I want to be able to just start typing like in Notability.

But then sometimes I need to insert an equation or a diagram. For this purpose, right above the keyboard there should be two tabs. One is 'keyboard', the other is 'jot frame'.

Whatever I type in the jot frame is inserted wherever my cursor was. In the actual note a box appears like when using the zoom feature in uPad. Like in uPad it should be possible to drag this box around and to make it bigger or smaller using pinch-to-zoom. As in uPad, the should always stay perfectly aligned with the top and bottom of every (text) line. Unlike in uPad, however, when moving this box around the typed text should rearrange itself around the box (like when moving an image in a word processor). Also, when I finish jotting down my equation, the whitespace in the box should be trimmed left and right.

Incidentally, one unfortunate feature of Notability is that it's not possible to put the cursor just anywhere on the screen simply by tapping. As in text processors, one can only put the cursor within text. It would be better if the user could tap-and-hold anywhere. If he tapped in an area where there presently is no text a horizontal and vertical 'tab stop' should be created. The text (or scribbling) at such a tab stop should stay at that exact location unless the user expands texts above or to the left of it so much that it nears the content at the tab stop too close.

Anyone else here with strong opinions on how note taking should work, but unable to implement them? Or perhaps someone feels like explaining to me why my ideas are unworkable. :)

Cheers,
    - dove

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

this is how i want it to work; I think it and it appears on the paper.

3. franmatt80 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

I think that's all available in Notify already. Just had a quick go at everything on your wish list and all seems to be there. The jotframe bit you describe works slightly differently, but still quite easy- however, haven't used uPad so may have misunderstood exactly what you're after....

4. dove thread starter macrumors member

As far as I can tell, the only feature I described that Underscore Notify has is the ability to put your cursor anywhere on the note. But even then it doesn't work in the way I describe. E.g., say you write text in the middle of the first line, like this:

......................TEST.................

And then you start typing at the start of the same line:

THIS IS............TEST.................

And you continue writing. What I want to happen is that that the text 'TEST' moves to the right if the text before it comes to close:

THIS IS A VERY LONG......TEST..........

This is how tab stops work in modern word processors. In Underscore Notify the text would overlap (yikes!).

Underscore Notify also doesn't have a zoom pane as far as I can tell. It has a pane for handwriting recognition, it seems, although I didn't want to fork over the extra €2.39 to test.

5. dove thread starter macrumors member

So I just noticed that Underscore Notify has a zoom feature after all, but it's implemented pretty poorly. When switching between text-entry and zoom you always have to reposition the zoom box / text cursor manually. And the overlapping problem I described in my previous post exists here too.