Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the Apple Card savings account's recent rate increase to 4.35%, we have put together this guide comparing the annual percentage yields (APYs) of some popular high-yield savings accounts (HYSAs) available to U.S. residents.

apple-card-savings-account-feature.jpg

Apple's rate now matches that of popular HYSAs offered by the likes of American Express, Capital One, and Discover, but there are a handful of other options that offer even higher APYs in the 4.5% to low 5% range, such as Marcus by Goldman Sachs and Wealthfront. Balance limits and other requirements vary.

There are many other HYSAs not listed in our chart, so be sure to do your research before deciding which option is best suited for you.

ProviderAdvertised APY*
Apple (Goldman Sachs)4.35%
American Express4.35%
Ally4.35%
Barclays4.35%
Capital One4.35%
Discover4.35%
Citizens Bank4.5%
Marcus (Goldman Sachs)4.5%
SoFi4.6%
PNC Bank4.65%
CIT Bank4.65% to 5.05%
Synchrony4.75%
Wealthfront5%
UFB Direct5.25%

[td]Betterment[/td]
[td]4.75%[/td]

* Advertised APYs as of January 5, 2024. APYs may vary.

Ordinary savings accounts at popular banks such as Bank of America and Chase typically offer APYs of only 0.01% or slightly higher.

Apple launched its savings account in April 2023, in partnership with Goldman Sachs. The account can be opened and managed in the Wallet app on the iPhone, and it has no fees, no minimum deposits, and no minimum balance requirements. You must have an Apple Card, be a U.S. resident, and be at least 18 years old to open an account.

The account allows Apple Card holders to earn interest on their Daily Cash cashback balance, and on funds deposited via a linked bank account or an Apple Cash balance. The maximum balance allowed is $250,000, which is lower than some HYSAs, and balances are fully insured by the U.S. Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).

To open a savings account in the Wallet app, tap on your Apple Card, tap on the circle with three dots at the top of the screen, tap Daily Cash, and select Set Up Savings.

Goldman Sachs will reportedly be ending its partnership with Apple within the next year or so, but it is unclear how this might impact the Apple Card.

Article Link: Here's How the Apple Card's New Savings Rate Compares to Alternatives

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: SurferPup

ThisIsMike

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
I have a CIT Platinum savings account, which has an interest rate of 5.05% (not 4.65, and as long as the account balance is over $5,000). This table should be corrected.

Reactions: Robert.Walter

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
The difference between 4.35% and 5% over a year is, $162.50/$25k, which is the amount I keep in my liquid savings. Maybe it's worth moving around for you, maybe not.

I use Capital One, currently, just because it's handy. Everything else is with is with Edward Jones, but they don't have much of an online presence.

Last edited:

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada

Mrkymrk99

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2014

Following the Apple Card savings account's recent rate increase to 4.35%, we have put together this guide comparing the annual percentage yields (APYs) of some popular high-yield savings accounts (HYSAs) available to U.S. residents.

Apple's rate now matches that of popular HYSAs offered by the likes of American Express, Capital One, and Discover, but there are a handful of other options that offer even higher APYs in the 4.5% to low 5% range, such as Marcus by Goldman Sachs and Wealthfront. Balance limits and other requirements vary.

There are many other HYSAs not listed in our chart, so be sure to do your research before deciding which option is best suited for you.

ProviderAPY*
American Express4.35%
Ally4.35%
Barclays4.35%
Capital One4.35%
Discover4.35%
Citizens Bank4.5%
SoFi4.6%
CIT Bank4.65%
PNC Bank4.65%
Synchrony4.75%
Wealthfront5%
UFB Direct5.25%

Ordinary savings accounts at popular banks such as Bank of America and Chase typically offer APYs of only 0.01% or slightly higher.

Apple launched its savings account in April 2023, in partnership with Goldman Sachs. The account can be opened and managed in the Wallet app on the iPhone, and it has no fees, no minimum deposits, and no minimum balance requirements. You must have an Apple Card, be a U.S. resident, and be at least 18 years old to open an account.

The account allows Apple Card holders to earn interest on their Daily Cash cashback balance, and on funds deposited via a linked bank account or an Apple Cash balance. The maximum balance allowed is $250,000, which is lower than some HYSAs, and balances are fully insured by the U.S. Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC).

To open a savings account in the Wallet app, tap on your Apple Card, tap on the circle with three dots at the top of the screen, tap Daily Cash, and select Set Up Savings.

Goldman Sachs will reportedly be ending its partnership with Apple within the next year or so, but it is unclear how this might impact the Apple Card.

Article Link: Here's How the Apple Card's New Savings Rate Compares to Alternatives

ProviderAPY*
American Express4.35%
Ally4.35%
Barclays4.35%
Capital One4.35%
Discover4.35%
Citizens Bank4.5%
SoFi4.6%
PNC Bank4.65%
CIT Bank4.65% to 5.05%
Synchrony4.75%
Wealthfront5%
UFB Direct5.25%

Fidelity and Vanguard are currently paying ~5.3% while you have your money parked in a core account.

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
The difference between 4.35% and 5% over a year is, $162.50/$25k, which is the amount I keep in my liquid savings. Maybe it's worth moving around for you, maybe not.

I use Capital One, currently, just because it's handy. Everything else is with is with Edward Jones, but they don't have much of an online presence.
SPAXX pays 5% and its as liquid as cash.

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
i like the savings account in the wallet app.
I get paid, move money to it.
use my Apple MC (apple pay or physical card or bill pay) for everything I can.
pay off the balance at the end of the month with the money in the savings account.

2 options l like to see.
A. the ability to create a second savings account.
B. the ability to hide the account from the main wallet view.

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
This is pure silliness. The amount of money you’d have to deposit to make any meaningful difference in your life based on fractions of percentages of fluctuating interest rates is so large that you’d be better off in a mutual fund.

• Disagree
Reactions: Chazak and noraa

ChromeAce

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2009
Credit Unions with much higher rates exist. I don't understand why anyone still uses those massive banks. I only ever hear bad things about them.

Because the bigger banks are much less likely to fail and when they do they get bailed out. Would never put my money in a small bank. FDIC only covers $250K of losses.

Last edited:

ThisIsMike

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
You're right, I was looking at this page: https://www.cit.com/cit-bank/savings-connect

This page shows your Platinum Savings account: https://www.cit.com/cit-bank/bank/savings

I have updated the chart to say "4.65% to 5.05%" for CIT's HYSAs.

Hey Joe, thanks. When I saw the chart at first, I freaked out! lol I thought they lowered the rate while I wasn’t looking! Which, by the way, is something everyone should be aware of - these rates can change. Be vigilant, otherwise you might go months without noticing.

ThisIsMike

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2007
This is pure silliness. The amount of money you’d have to deposit to make any meaningful difference in your life based on fractions of percentages of fluctuating interest rates is so large that you’d be better off in a mutual fund.

What mutual fund would you recommend? Also, it’s not necessarily silliness if you are sitting on a lot of cash, and some folks who have diversified portfolios might at times find themselves in that situation. It’s also possible someone wants to park cash in an HYS while they find a better use for it. Also, while you’ll be taxed on the interest in that HYS account, wont you also be taxed on the gains on the mutual fund? (Assuming it’s in a regular brokerage account.)

In the opposite situation, of someone who is really struggling- that extra $100 or what have you could mean some extra groceries, or maybe a free month of internet or utilities. You never know.

Last edited:

victorvictoria

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2023
Why do people still have saving accounts at banks? Fidelity Government Cash Reserves current yield is 5.01%, and offers free checking. In addition, it picks up the fees for all ATM transactions with a Mastercard or Visa sticker on the machine.

Sure, it's not FDIC insured, but then your bank is more likely to go belly up than Fidelity's cash reserves breaking the dollar. Especially investing in only short-term government issues.

Sorinut

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2015
Why do people still have saving accounts at banks? Fidelity Government Cash Reserves current yield is 5.01%, and offers free checking. In addition, it picks up the fees for all ATM transactions with a Mastercard or Visa sticker on the machine.

Sure, it's not FDIC insured, but then your bank is more likely to go belly up than Fidelity's cash reserves breaking the dollar. Especially investing in only short-term government issues.

Savings should barely be considered an investment, at any of these rates, which the market is pulling double-digits.

They are a store for liquid cash.

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Savings should barely be considered an investment, at any of these rates, which the market is pulling double-digits.

They are a store for liquid cash.
I guess I need to invest better. My mutual funds are still below pre-CV19 levels.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2012
Joe,
there are several FDIC insured options not on your list around 5.25-5.5, a couple:
- UFB Direct
- Milli Bank

Folks should also be aware some institutions offering 6-7% high yield savings have tiers so that the high rate is only on, say, first 1 to 5k and above drops to pittance rate. Others require a min balance.

There are many good HYSA opportunities up to 5.5% but a bit of caveat emptor applies as you do your search.

Reactions: deific
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.