Here's My Plan (feedback s'il vous plait)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MisterSensitive, Mar 22, 2012.

  1. MisterSensitive macrumors regular

    Mar 22, 2012
    I need to replace my trusty 2003-vintage 1.8 GHz Dual Proc Power Mac which I use exclusively for music production. I'm on a limited budget, so my first instinct was to get the hottest used Mac Pro (octocore, 8G RAM) I could find on craigslist.

    Then, I started thinking (danger!)...

    Why don't I get a MacBook Pro! (which I could use in my studio, playing live, doing my animation projects, using at work, etc...) So, here's my nascent plan:

    • Get a 2.8 GHz i7 13" with a 128 G SSD - $1599
    • Upgrade it to 8 or maybe even 16 G RAM (aftermarket to save $) $45 - $120
    • Switch the ODD with a second SSD, put ODD in an enclosure - $300

    I don't want to wait for the redesigned MPB, since:
    • I don't know if there will be a second drive hack like there is for the current MBP
    • I use a Firewire Audio interface and I am wary of the Thunderbolt adapter (adapters in general)
    • From the sound of it, there won't be a new MBP in this price range

    Does this sound like a good plan for a bitchin' quite machine that is on the tiny side?

    Any reason to expect Apple to lower price of this unit once new line is announced, a la iPads?

  2. Tmacfan4321 macrumors regular

    Dec 21, 2007
    University Park, PA
    If you're worried about price, buy refurbished. It's basically the same laptop with a different box for less money.

    Are you sure that you want a dual-core laptop with an integrated GPU for "animation projects?" Stuff like that sounds like something a 15" MBP would be better suited for (quad-core CPU and dedicated graphics).
  3. CmdrLaForge macrumors 601


    Feb 26, 2003
    around the world
    Honestly - sounds like a great plan but I would wait if you can to see what Apple actually releases because you made a lot of assumptions what's coming based on rumors. On release day you can still find the current version on all the resellers.
  4. thundersteele macrumors 68030

    Oct 19, 2011
    What the previous posters said. There is no damage from waiting for the release, in the "worst" case you can buy the 2011 model at a discount. You could invest the savings into a 256 GB aftermarket SSD.

    Are you sure that a) you don't need a discrete GPU and b) are fine with the smaller screen?
  5. MisterSensitive thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 22, 2012
    Thanks for the quick feedback! Y'all make sense (sorry, southern second person plural).

    I wasn't sure if all options would be readily available once the new models came out, or resellers would be flushing stock as is with no upgrade options (like the SSD upgrade).

    As for graphics and animation, I'm just starting out with Boom Toon studio, which is great for cartoon style animation. The kind of detail provided with advanced separate GPUs will be unnecessary. Music is the big driver for me, animation is the side hobby.

    Besides, the configuration I mentioned is a little beyond my range, but a stretch. A Quad core machine would be fully out of reach $$$-wise.
  6. ds. macrumors member

    Feb 18, 2012
    Wirelessly posted

    Wouldn't it be cheaper to not upgrade the SSD from Apple and buying the two SSD's aftermarket? Plus this way you can use the hard drive you get and put it in an enclosure for backups.
  7. AppChat macrumors regular

    Mar 10, 2012
    most consumers dont even need 16gb. save a few bucks for 8gb from a reputable brand.

    SSDs are great but are expensive and u dont get alot of memory.. cheapest way for 128gb SSD is the one from apple. althought u can save a few bucks from buying after market, apples are preinstalled, are INCLUDED with the warrenty and well its an SSD.

    2.8ghz i7 may not be necessary. for that kind of money my as well bump up tot he 15inch.

    unless ur a huge gamer or do alot of video editing, alot of specs u dont really need. again depends on ur usage. u can buy a full blown speced macbook pro but if ur not gonna take advantage of its full specs, then ur wasting money

  8. MisterSensitive thread starter macrumors regular

    Mar 22, 2012
    Actually, the 128 SSD is only $100 more from apple, which seems reasonable.

    As for processor speed and RAM, I run a Digital recording program (Motu's Digital Performer) with up to 60 audio tracks @ 96kHz/24 bits, lots of virtual instruments and processors which are very hungry for CPU cycles and RAM.
  9. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Mar 14, 2008
    If the program can take advantage of it, the quad-core 15" will most likely perform even better than the 13" could.

Share This Page