Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HomeKit users have long wished for a centralized, Apple-designed app for controlling HomeKit-enabled products, and in iOS 10, Apple has granted that wish, with the debut of the new "Home" app. Designed to be used on the iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch, Home is Apple's new one-stop HomeKit control solution.

As can be seen in the video below, Home offers a simple, fast, convenient way to manage all of the connected products in your house. Not all accessories are fully functional with Home right now as its a beta, but support will improve before Home launches as part of iOS 10 this fall.

Opening the Home app brings up a main screen that lists all favorite Scenes and favorite accessories for quick access. The app's wallpaper is customizable, and a Settings section offers options for changing the name of a home and inviting additional users. The "Rooms" section of the app is where new accessories can be added and new Scenes can be created, with Scenes able to work with all of the HomeKit-connected products in your house.

Each accessory can also be controlled individually by pressing on its name to bring up a set of options. With Philips Hue lights, for example, a long press or 3D Touch offers options for dimming lights and changing colors.

An "Automation" feature in the Home app allows HomeKit accessories to be set up to perform actions based on time and location, such as turning on the lights when the sun sets or turning on the air conditioning when you leave work. The Apple TV serves as a remote hub for HomeKit and in iOS 10, you can also set an iPad to serve as a hub to enable HomeKit devices to work remotely.

Along with a new Home app, iOS 10 brings support for additional types of HomeKit devices like air conditioners, heaters, air purifiers, humidifiers, cameras, and doorbells.

For full details on the new features coming in iOS 10, make sure to check out our iOS 10 roundup. Don't miss out on our previous videos, which have covered watchOS 3, macOS Sierra, and other iOS 10 features:

- WWDC 2016 Overview in Seven Minutes
- iOS 10's Overhauled Lockscreen
- The New iOS 10 Photos App
- The New iOS 10 Messages App
- macOS Sierra - Siri
- iOS 10 Hidden Features
- watchOS 3 Overview
- iOS 10's Redesigned Apple Music Experience
- 3D Touch in iOS 10

We've also got roundups for all of the upcoming operating systems, including watchOS 3, macOS Sierra, and tvOS 10.

Article Link: Here's the New 'Home' App for Controlling HomeKit Devices in iOS 10

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Nice, but disappointed with the lack of 3rd Party support for HomeKit with previous products. I already have Wemo devices, two Nest Thermostats and a myQ Garage door controller. None of which are going to be supported in HomeKit. So basically I would have to start all over again with devices that have HomeKit support

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I'm hoping wink hub gets integrated into this somehow.
Does appletv control everything? Being away from home there needs to be a unit that controls everything correct?
Edit-just read appletv is the hub for HomeKit.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Does appletv control everything? Being away from home there needs to be a unit that controls everything correct?

Or an iPad, apparently. In case you have that retired mini (2) on a coffee table dock for home control :)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
One thing I love about the wink hub is these shortcuts. Hoping HomeKit has something similar with more options. How's appletv handling zwave devices?

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    500.4 KB · Views: 257

the1payday

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2007
Amarillo, TX
Nice, but disappointed with the lack of 3rd Party support for HomeKit with previous products. I already have Wemo devices, two Nest Thermostats and a myQ Garage door controller. None of which are going to be supported in HomeKit. So basically I would have to start all over again with devices that have HomeKit support
Blame Wemo, Nest, etc. Apple can't exactly do much to force them to implement it.

busyscott

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2015
California
I think this is solving a problem that doesn't exist. I've never walked into a room, sat down on the couch, and thought, "Oops forgot to turn the light on...I know! I'll get my iPhone, open the home app, page over to the room, and click the light on! Brilliant!"

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I think this is solving a problem that doesn't exist. I've never walked into a room, sat down on the couch, and thought, "Oops forgot to turn the light on...I know! I'll get my iPhone, open the home app, page over to the room, and click the light on! Brilliant!"
I don't see it as changing based on walking in different rooms but I see setting up scenes as important. Adjusting the lights. Turning on the Ac all at the same time. Coming home and having things turn in automatically. It's pretty fun to have. But stuff we have now can do this fine. Not sure what benefits HomeKit will have over current things on the market

Reactions: dschulian

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
But stuff we have now can do this fine. Not sure what benefits HomeKit will have over current things on the market

It's to aggregate your devices. What if you want to turn on your lights from Philips Hue, close your garage door by Garagemate and turn the heat down on your Nest? That might be 3 separate apps by 3 different companies. Homekit lets you make a scene to use right there. (Edit: after reading your reply again maybe you're already aware of other general apps that control multiple devices). There are some other remote type apps that can also do this, but of course they (probably) aren't going to accessible by simply swiping up to control center in any of your iOS devices.

The main benefit will be convenience in controlling different manufacturers' devices.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

I have a Wink Relay and it's been all promise and no delivery for 2 years. It finally got local Phillips Hue support recently, something that 3rd party bedroom developer apps have had since day one. There was a delay in turning on the lights that made it useless and absolutely enraging. Too late too late. There's no way that Wink can get HomeKit enabled without new HomeKit certified hardware so I'm ripping my Relay off the wall and replacing it with an iPad Air with the Home app.

Textime

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2016
I've discovered a bug but this keyboard looks so cool

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 284

macfoxpro

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2011
USA

Controlling my lights in the house (Hue system) with my iPhone is awesome. Oh, and yeah, not sure it was ever really a problem to begin with.

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011
You are missing the point on what Home Automation is about. It's a lot more than what you suggested above.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
I have a Wink Relay and it's been all promise and no delivery for 2 years. It finally got local Phillips Hue support recently, something that 3rd party bedroom developer apps have had since day one. There was a delay in turning on the lights that made it useless and absolutely enraging. Too late too late. There's no way that Wink can get HomeKit enabled without new HomeKit certified hardware so I'm ripping my Relay off the wall and replacing it with an iPad Air with the Home app.
It works with all my stuff really well. Hard wired dimmers for two of my lights and plug in lamp module for 4 of my lights. Works with my nest. There is a slight delay but it's not as bad as it was when I first got the hub. The quick controls in Notification Center are what I really like now.
What makes you think there won't be a slight delay with appletv controlling your devices? I mean it works the same way through wifi then spitting it out to your devices.
You mean the wink hub right? (Relay?)
[doublepost=1466729871][/doublepost]
I hope they expand Siri's intelligence for HomeKit devices too. In any case this is a good move. Too many devices and too many separate apps with Siri not understanding half of the things I'd like her to do with my house. I'm looking forward to this aggregation.
That's the main thing I want. Siri to be able to control things like my lights and nest. From my watch.
[doublepost=1466729928][/doublepost]
It's to aggregate your devices. What if you want to turn on your lights from Philips Hue, close your garage door by Garagemate and turn the heat down on your Nest? That might be 3 separate apps by 3 different companies. Homekit lets you make a scene to use right there. (Edit: after reading your reply again maybe you're already aware of other general apps that control multiple devices). There are some other remote type apps that can also do this, but of course they (probably) aren't going to accessible by simply swiping up to control center in any of your iOS devices.

The main benefit will be convenience in controlling different manufacturers' devices.
Yea I understand that I can set up all that stuff with the wink hub and scenes setting the whatever I want already.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Once you have all of this set up in your house you'll realize just how convenient it is. Your scenario happens in my house all the time... except we don't unlock our iPhones, etc.... just a simple "Hey Siri, turn off the living room lights" gets the job done.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
This is the exact reason to never be an early adopter.

Rocco83

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2011
This is what I've been waiting for! Another stock app that I will have to throw in a junk folder that will be loaded onto my device whether I want it or not.

allenvanhellen

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2015
Controlling my lights in the house (Hue system) with my iPhone is awesome. Oh, and yeah, not sure it was ever really a problem to begin with.

I've had Hue for 3 years and I think their app has gotten worse and worse. I've never had all of their features working at the same time (geofencing, etc.). They made a new app, but it doesn't work with the Watch and it is limited in terms of its functionality. The only thing that's worked well with the Hue app has been the widget for Today / Notification center.

I'm really really glad Apple has made this Home app, that I can finally have my lights come on at sunset, and all the other cool stuff it does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.