Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple retail stores are now receiving information about the company's new system for wirelessly updating iPhone software prior to sale, iGen reports.

Apple-Store-Vancouver-Canada.jpg

Last week, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman reported that the new proprietary system, called "Presto," will begin operation across the U.S. in April. Gurman first reported on the wireless system in October, describing it as a "proprietary pad-like device" upon which retail store staff can place a sealed ‌iPhone‌ box. The system wirelessly turns on the iPhone inside, updates its software to the latest available version, and then powers it off.

Presto features small lockers that can accommodate six iPhone boxes simultaneously. There are markings to ensure that boxes are correctly positioned for NFC depending on their size. Once correctly positioned, the iPhone will update within 15 to 30 minutes. iGen has now shared a still from a video showing two of the machines stacked one on top of the other:

apple-presto.jpg

Presto was developed by Apple's Backstage Operations team, which designs tools for technicians and retail store employees. The company developed "Presto" as a way to avoid selling iPhones in retail stores with outdated software. For example, the iPhone 15 series shipped with iOS 17, but Apple subsequently released iOS 17.0.1 before the devices launched. The update was required to fix an issue that prevented the transfer of data directly from another iPhone during the initial setup process.

Apple apparently intends to have the technology in all U.S. retail stores by early summer. Retail locations outside the U.S. are also now receiving information about how Presto works.

Article Link: Here's What Apple Retail's New Machine to Update iPhones in the Box Looks Like

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
This is very smart. In my last position, I often had to deal with users getting "new" phones -- new in box, but they'd been that way for a while -- where the first thing we had to do was update iOS to the latest version. This wouldn't have helped me, since it's only for Apple Stores, but nice to see that any phone you buy in a store should always be on the latest iOS as soon as you take it out of the box.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
This just wouldn't be needed at all if they focussed on software and shipped devices with a solid build.

This reminds me of games companies that release games that are just not ready… and relying on updates later down the line.

Of course updates are necessary… and i have no problem with updating a device the day i buy it… but this and their current software quality control issues just stink a bit.

Ryankontos

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2016
Sydney, Australia
I’d guess that this is not much more than magsafe + some NFC chip that the iPhone “knows” means to turn on and automatically connect to wifi + download the latest update

Reactions: biffuz

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
This is very smart. In my last position, I often had to deal with users getting "new" phones -- new in box, but they'd been that way for a while -- where the first thing we had to do was update iOS to the latest version. This wouldn't have helped me, since it's only for Apple Stores, but nice to see that any phone you buy in a store should always be on the latest iOS as soon as you take it out of the box.
You think they will do this with MacBooks and iPads too… was it really such a big problem?

If a device is sold with a decent build, at the point of manufacture… i see no reason for this.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
I’d guess that this is not much more than magsafe + some NFC chip that the iPhone “knows” means to turn on and automatically connect to wifi + download the latest update
What security mitigations are in place? If you can tamper with a device that still has tamper proof seal in place

Anyone could do anything to it. What if government uses it as a way to change settings to an iPhone going to a certain politician, or business person, or anyone?

dwaltwhit

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Tennessee
I have never bought a previous year's model. If I went to an apple store and bought a 13 today, Would it have iOS 16 on it?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
What security mitigations are in place? If you can tamper with a device that still has tamper proof seal in place

Anyone could do anything to it. What if government uses it as a way to change settings to an iPhone going to a certain politician, or business person, or anyone?
You need to have physical access to the device. It can't do anything at a distance.. The phone actually has to be in the rack to turn on and update.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
They would need Apple’s signing keys.
If an agency or government is asking them to do something… we basically don't know.

As it is if you buy an iPhone in a store its really unlikely anyone would have an iphone modified and ready.

Using this, all they would have to do is alert Apple in real time, the people in store are told to put it on the rack….

j26

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
Paddyland
Nice touch - an up to date, charged phone right away.

Would this be done on demand (I buy a phone, and it gets stacked on the rack and I wait for it to update), or would it be done in batches (the store has an idea of how many it will sell in a day and builds up a pile of them to sell, so I can take my purchase and walk out).

The second option would be preferable.

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2015
Then they can also do it over the air when or after the iPhone is set up. This has already happened in some countries.
This is also true.

But people have mitigations for this… if you’re technically adept.

But if its already compromised before you have your hands on it…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.