Here's what i want to do (remote iTunes streaming)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewHUB, Sep 22, 2008.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hi all.

I have an Airdisk with al my iTunes content on connected to an AEBS, and an Airport express.

When i'm at home and i want to listen to music, i have to go and turn the computer on, and click play etc.

Is there an app. for iPhone that lets you connect to your Airdisk and iTunes and stream to your Airport Express without having to go through the computer?

M

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

No. It requires iTunes to be running, which means the computer needs to be on.

TEG

3. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Although if you're willing to leave your computer on, Apples 'Remote' app for iPhone/iPod Touch works very nicely. You can access your entire iTunes library from your handheld device, and in your case direct the output to either your Airport Express (Airtunes remote speakers) or the computer's speakers, or both.

4. gottafly macrumors regular

I'm not sure it'll work perfectly for your application, but it definately will work for streaming.....try the "Simplify" app in the AppStore.

5. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmm i can't even get the simplify app to load my itunes folder from my external connected to the AEBS.

Can't they just release "iTunes" for iPhone??? and let it access files remotely??

6. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

plus, you can't then stream to an express from your iphone. ugh.

7. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

Using the Remote app on your iPhone is effectively the same as streaming from your iPhone -- you're actually streaming from your computer but you control it from your iPhone, and you have access to all the music in your iTunes library (not just what you can fit on your iPhone). Again though, you have to leave your computer on. That's what I do, and it works very nicely.

8. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

right. but i wanted to be able to do it without my computer being on. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of having a "remote" if you realise your computer is off and you have to walk to the room of the house where it is and turn it on. you may as well just turn some music on while you're there...

9. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

I almost completely agree, though once your computer is on you can switch tracks/albums/artists/playlist/etc or control the volume and/or which speakers are on, all from your handheld device, using the Remote app. It works pretty nicely. You should try it -- it's free! Like lots of people, my computer is so much an integral part of my entertainment (music and video, via airtunes, EyeTV and :apple:TV) that I just leave it on all the time.