Here's what I'm looking for in a thrid party "keyboard"

larock

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 23, 2008
I only need a "touch Pad" like keyboard to move the cursor.

I like how the default keyboard functions, I mean, it just works. The third party keyboards I have bought and tried are missing components, short cuts don't work, auto correct doesn't work. This has me primarily using the default keyboard. So now I keep Swipe Cursor as a second keyboard option and hit the globe key just to re-position the cursor when needed, then it's back to the default keyboard to continue typing.

I'm hopeful the creator of SwipeSelection will knock it out of the park when his keyboard is released to the app store though.

So has anyone found a "touch pad" like keyboard? I've searched the app store but it even seems like a mess right now, it would be nice if the third party keyboard had their own category rather than just being lumping into utilities.

pacorob

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I only need a "touch Pad" like keyboard to move the cursor.

The third party keyboards I have bought and tried are missing components, short cuts don't work, auto correct doesn't work. This has me primarily using the default keyboard. So now I keep Swipe Cursor as a second keyboard option and hit the globe key just to re-position the cursor when needed, then it's back to the default keyboard to continue typing.

I'm hopeful the creator of SwipeSelection will knock it out of the park when his keyboard is released to the app store though.

So has anyone found a "touch pad" like keyboard?
I think you need to wait on the release for SwipeSelection Pro on the official App Store for iOS8. It can't be long. You can also expect an updated of Nintype for iOS8 (for now it's iOS7 app)

There is already iKeywi (which is also available in Cydia) in the App Store but not everyone is happy about it when I read the reviews.

If it is out there you should be able to find it in the 3rd party/custom keyboard megathread topic in which i'm trying to keep up with all the great (and not so great keyboards for iOS8).

I've searched the app store but it even seems like a mess right now, it would be nice if the third party keyboard had their own category rather than just being lumping into utilities.
It would indeed be a very good idea to have a separately category in the App Store. The did create a short (probably payed for) selection in the 'Featured' > 'Expand your apps' > 'New Keyboards' area of the App Store.

That is why i updated the third party megathread almost daily do have a bit of an overview of all the keyboard apps out there.

Last edited:

DomC

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I would like just a simple dark keyboard that had a Shift key that was highlighted or changed color when selected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.