Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With no new iPad models launched this year, Apple ostensibly has some significant changes in store for its tablet lineup and accessories in 2024.

ipad-fall-2022-lineup-details.jpg
Apple's entire iPad lineup as of December 2023.

The entry-level iPad, iPad mini, iPad Air, and iPad Pro models are all reportedly due a hardware update in 2024. Here's how the lineup of 2024 could compare to today based on rumors:

iPad (10.2-inch, A13 Bionic, 9th generation)
iPad (10.9-inch, A14 Bionic, 10th generation)iPad (10.9-inch, A15 Bionic, 11th generation)
iPad mini (8.3-inch, A15 Bionic, 6th generation)iPad mini (8.3-inch, A16 Bionic, 7th generation)
iPad Air (10.9-inch, M1, 5th generation)iPad Air (10.9-inch, M2, 6th generation)
iPad Air (12.9-inch, M2)
iPad Pro (11-inch, M2, 6th generation)iPad Pro (11.1-inch, M3, 7th generation)
iPad Pro (12.9-inch, M2, 6th generation)iPad Pro (13-inch, M3, 7th generation)

Apple is also reportedly working on a new Apple Pencil and a redesigned Magic Keyboard accessory for the iPad Pro with an aluminum top case and a larger trackpad. The iPad accessory lineup could look as follows by the end of next year:

Apple Pencil (1st generation)
Apple Pencil (2nd generation)Apple Pencil (3rd generation)
Apple Pencil (USB-C)Apple Pencil (USB-C)
Magic Keyboard Folio for entry-level iPadMagic Keyboard Folio for entry-level iPad
Magic Keyboard for iPad Air and iPad ProMagic Keyboard for iPad Air and iPad Pro
High-end Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro

In his latest "Power On" newsletter, Bloomberg's Mark Gurman said that Apple is seeking to reduce confusion between the iPad Air and iPad Pro next year by introducing OLED displays, an updated design, the M3 chip, and a revamped Magic Keyboard accessory on the high-end models. This "will make it unmistakably the highest-end model," Gurman says.

He also highlighted that the iPad Air and iPad Pro will feature slightly different display sizes, just like the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, where the high-end models have larger screens. The ninth-generation iPad will reportedly be discontinued upon the release of the 11th-generation version, allowing the company to ultimately phase out the first-generation Apple Pencil.

Apple also plans to use the Magic Keyboard as a differentiator for the iPad Pro in 2024. The redesigned version of the accessory will not be compatible with the iPad Air, being exclusive to the iPad Pro. The 10.9- and 12.9-inch iPad Air models will only be able to use the current Magic Keyboard accessories.

Gurman said that the new iPad Air and iPad Pro models are due to launch around March 2024, with the updated entry-level iPad and iPad mini set to arrive later in the year.

Article Link: Here's What the iPad Lineup Could Look Like in 2024

Reactions: JapanApple

Coreymac84

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2020
I wanna see an Apple executive explain the different use cases for each model.

This one is for Pro's who want to do heavier mobile app work in a far more inefficient way than a MacBook Air
This one is for people who like something super portable for YouTube, candy crush, web browsing
This one is for people who like something that is cheaper and won't care if their child throws it across the room
This one is for people who want something larger for YouTube, Candy Crush, Web Browsing

The iPad is my most disliked Apple device by a long shot and I have owned 3 of them hoping the software would improve to a point that would make it an exciting product. iPhone's are about to get even larger... the use case is getting smaller.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Once we get a 13 inch iPad Air, people will have no reason to get the pro anymore. Unless you reallyyyyy want that promotion display. But I have a feeling the next iPad Air will get 90hz if the iPhone rumors are correct.

simtilver

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2012
They should really get rid of the whole “Air” concept at this point. Back when the MacBook Air came out. We were all lugging MacBooks with CD drives, 6 USB ports, VGA ports, etc, and the Air was a massive change. That’s not the case anymore and essentially all of the devices are the same size…

Should be:

iPad (mini, 11”, 13”)
iPad Pro (11”, 13”)

MacBook (14”, 16”)
MacBook Pro (14”, 16”)

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
They should really get rid of the whole “Air” concept at this point. Back when the MacBook Air came out. We were all lugging MacBooks with CD drives, 6 USB ports, VGA ports, etc, and the Air was a massive change. That’s not the case anymore and essentially all of the devices are the same size…

Should be:

iPad (mini, 11”, 13”)
iPad Pro (11”, 13”)

MacBook (14”, 16”)
MacBook Pro (14”, 16”)

Only tweak I'd make is maybe stick with 13"/15" for MacBooks (since those are the Airs now)

DaniTheFox

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2023
Switzerland
I wish the iPad Pro will have a M3 Pro (we can dream, can‘t we?). And the iPad mini a A17 Pro as the ultimate gaming iPad.

Last edited:

GeoStructural

macrumors 65816
Oct 8, 2016
Colombia
The iPad is my most disliked Apple device by a long shot and I have owned 3 of them hoping the software would improve to a point that would make it an exciting product. iPhone's are about to get even larger... the use case is getting smaller.

I don't hate it but I certainly am not impressed with it. I purchased the larger Pro hoping for a light computing device to travel with, and it turned out to be a large iPod. It has gotten better over the years but it is still a severely limited use device that costs almost the same as my MacBook Pro and more than my PC.

Reactions: istanbul

JCADX

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2022
They should start by clearing up the accessories mess, because even as an informed consumer its sometimes difficult to know which keyboard goes with which iPad, imagine the general consumer. After this, they should simply try to mimic their Mac lineup: a base model and a pro model, and maybe a cheaper entry alternative.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Cancelled
Jan 31, 2023
Apple has become like a junkie that can't stop

They just constantly release more and more slightly different models and never consolidate and/or clean it up

What a mess

It's becoming reminiscent of the Sculley/Amelio days before Steve returned and famously streamlined the whole product line in one swoop.

Apple's a very different company in a very different situation today. That level of product line simplification isn't warranted. But they do need someone with some vision for cleaning it up and streamlining again. They are in the micro-market-segmentation phase of their existence. It's become all about price and profit optimization. Simplify and streamline. They are offering too many options right now. And not just with iPad.

Last edited:

currentinterest

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2007
The proposed line up makes perfect sense: two A series options, two M2 options, and two M3 options. People will simply choose the one that meets their use case at the price they can afford. I own the M2, 11 inch iPad Pro. I will not be upgrading as I will be purchasing the Apple Vision Pro.

Reactions: tazinlwfl

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
But they do need someone with some vision for cleaning it up and streamlining again. They are in the micro-market-segmentation phase of their existence. It's become all about price and profit optimization. Simplify and streamline. They are offering too many options right now. And not just with iPad.

Totally agree

The product matrix is a confusing mess of slightly different sizes, features and technology generations. Even for an informed consumer, I find it very off putting when considering any purchases.

There are far too many options here.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.