Here's why I refuse to 12'' Macbook users a hard time

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SnowLeopard OSX, Sep 22, 2015.

1. SnowLeopard OSX, Sep 22, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2015

SnowLeopard OSX macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

The 12'' Macbook has stirred up a lot of controversy. Recently, there has been a lot of back and fourth about whether this product has a market, whether or not it's worth the buy, and whether or not it made sense to make.

I was recently thinking about my product choice decisions and why I make those decisions. Up until very recently, I've actually owned an iPhone 4S in white. While I absolutely love that phone, I thought that it's time to upgrade "just because I was bored" of the phone. So, naturally, one would ask - which phone did I decide to upgrade to? Was it a 6? a 6S? Or maybe a plus variant?

The answer? An iPhone 5.

Now, while the iPhone 5 is, by today's standards, an underpowered phone that pales in comparison to the 6S, the 6 or even the iPhone 5S from a spec standpoint.. the reason I decided to get this phone was very simple: I felt that the phone (iPhone 5 in black glass and slate) aeshetically speakinig, was and still is the absolute apex in terms of industrial design for any iPhone ever created. It's the lightest, near thinnest, and most amazingly desgined phone Apple has ever pushed out of it's company.

Now, you might ask if this was an easy decision. The answer is yes. For starters, I wanted the cheapest possible phone to upgrade while I "float by" waiting to see what the iPhone 7's design looks like. As you can probably tell, I'm very unsatisfied with the 6/s and 6+/s design.

But more importantly (as this ties back into the 12'' Macbook comparison) I felt as if we've reached a point in technology - more specifically mobile device technology - where the incremental changes made by smart phones producers no longer produce that immediate and strong urge for me to update.

In other words, I'm willing to compromise performance on my phone for aesthetic beauty. This is no different than, say, someone who chooses a 12'' Macbook over a Retina Macbook Pro. Both amazing machines, but one is, arguably, more sexy than the other. While one, again, arguably, is more for work than for light use.

I'm not a person who uses my phone for 30%, 40%, 50% of my work. I don't ask too much of my phone. Is it reasonably fast? Can it make calls? Can it text? Does it take decent quality picture and video? Is the latest OS sufficient on it? Can I go on the internet, and use apps? If the answer to these questions are "yes" then I don't see much need in shelling out more money for a newer phone.

Most likely the same reasoning for many for 12'' Macbook users. And although I might have given 12'' Macbook users a tough time in the past, I've come to realize that the product, from a market perspective, actually makes sense.

Technology is sufficient enough to the point where consumers can actually decide to make compromises between price, aesthetics, and performance without completely screwing themselves over.

And that's okay.

2. masotime macrumors 68000

masotime

3. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

So... I read your entire post and I haven't the slightest clue why you actually took the time to write it.

Who cares if there is a market for it? Who cares if people think it shouldn't have been made? Who cares if people think it isn't worth it?

If you like a product, go buy it. If someone tells you to not buy it because they think you shouldn't, tell them to kindly shut their face and continue on with your purchase.

4. CatBookPro macrumors member

CatBookPro

I agree - I had the 4s for a number of years (with 64 GB), but the battery was dying too quickly.

I ended up buying the 6 model - At the time of my purchase, it was the only semi new model that would hold all my music. I have to be honest - The 6 doesn't have the aesthetic beauty that the 4s had when it was released (just my opinion though). The grey lines on the aluminum are the same color as on my original Intel 2006 MBP.

Sidebar: I just upgraded my old 2006 MPB to the rMB. I love it!

Anyway - all of this stuff is personal choice, and personal needs.

5. SnowLeopard OSX thread starter macrumors 6502a

SnowLeopard OSX

It kind of matters, though.

The main takeaway of my post should have been:

We've reached a point in technology where people have the option to compromise performance for aesthetics (or other factors) and not risk getting the short end of the stick, so to speak.

However, if Apple were to create a product as thin as paper tomorrow, but reducing it's performance to the point where it was on par with a machine from 1999, that might pose as a problem for a lot of consumers today because it arguably wouldn't be able to get most of the tasks we need it to get done.

Technology has reached a point -- at least for now -- where things have slowed down. If you're 3, 4, or even 5 years behind on a phone, you can actually get by remarkably well. The differences between an iPhone 2G and an iPhone 4S, for example, are FAR more noticeable than the differences between a 4S and a 6S in terms of performance and capabilities.

The 12'' Macbook is BY FAR a good enough computer to meet the needs of consumers today. But, in regards to what you said earlier - if you want something, and can afford it, then buy it regardless of what other people say. That's a no brainer!

6. wchigo macrumors 6502

wchigo

Glad to hear that you've become more open-minded in this regard. That's the beauty of it all, Apple has several different product lines that cater to different people and we can all make the choice which is best for us. No need to get upset or, in your words, give people a hard time just because their choice doesn't line up with your own.;)

The 5 in Slate is definitely a looker and I really enjoyed it during the time I had it, but I'm a nut when it comes to chasing tech and have upgraded my phone every year since the 4S. I was waiting a long time for Apple to move to a bigger screen (I tried a Note II for a while because of the larger screen) so I jumped on the 6 Plus when it came out and am eagerly awaiting my 6S Plus. Enjoy your 5 and I hope you'll like what you see of the 7 when that comes out.:)

7. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

If you're just coming to this epitome now, you've never owned an Apple product. Almost every Apple product is a clear cut example of a combination of compromises based on aesthetics and performance/form.

8. CatBookPro macrumors member

CatBookPro

That's the thing - The line of Apple products, on the most part, fills everyone's needs. What specific product you choose is a personal needs / aesthetic choice.

MacRumors community: Please don't flame my very diplomatic post ;-)

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I purchased mine because dragging round a heavier machine wasn't an option. It's powerful enough to be my daily driver and it's as simple as that. I can do heavy lifting if I want to but I leave that for indoors when I have a more powerful machine to use.

10. RUGGLES99 macrumors 6502

epitome=epiphany

11. EthanNixon macrumors 6502a

EthanNixon

ROFL!

I typed that on my Android tablet and it autocorrected to that...oh my.

I do know the difference between epiphany and epitome. :)

12. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Yes, agree.

One thing I'll add: With the 12" RMB the performance isn't compromised for what we use it for. It's designed for a traveling business executive who is willing to pay a premium for a form factor, but it performs brilliantly for what traveling business executives do- email, video, browsing, Skype, spreadsheets, Powerpoint. Every time I see a bench test I just laugh, like anyone is stressing these things to the max.

BJ

13. Macalway macrumors 68000

I guess we got off lucky. You not giving us a hard time that is.

14. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Whilst I agree there is an over obsession of bang for your buck which is in part spread by OEM's and reviews and for those on a budget it's an important factor and often outweighs others

However

The simple matter is we do not apply this on all products we buy else we would all be wearing cheap quartz watches over expensive mechanical ones, for example.

The simple pleasure of ownership of a quality product seems to get lost in part when considering laptops etc

15. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

At some point in the past 10 years, I have stopped trying to (hyper)optimize my technology purchasing. It is not marriage, nor a house with a 30-year mortgage. Technology changes so fast, that anything that I can hyper optimize today will become obsolete (or even inoperable) within the next 5 years. I just buy what is available at the time when I need to (i.e. my current piece of technology stops working). Something "faster/ bigger/ better" will obviously come along, I will just wait for that in the next refresh cycle.

16. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I bought one and don't feel I compromised at all.

I wanted a Mac first off. Very Very lightweight. So that left me with the 11" Air or the 12" rMB.
    I wanted a retina display. So I buy the rMB. Done.
    I remote in to networks and servers and I can almost immediately be on the internet through my iPhone tethering.

I have 3 quad core Macs at home so when heavy lifting is needed I'm not going to the MacBook. I never went to my MacBook Air or MacBook Pro for anything that needed a powerful CPU.
    Portability and screen were in my higher values when it came to this and I can admit I was hesitant on day one and thought about taking it back but as soon as I actually used it for 1 week it is more than capable for my personal needs.

There are times when performance is at a higher value.
    I think people need to evaluate their needs and buy the device that will fulfill those needs and not even give a bother towards devices that do not fulfill them.

I can agree and disagree with you, I could care less what the MacBook doesn't have or I would've bought something else.
    At this point I wouldn't trade it for a decked out 15" rMBP.

17. garirry macrumors 68000

garirry

I agree with the fact that technology goes in the entirely wrong direction. If you're going to make a computer thinner and thinner, even if you don't need it, while sacrificing performance and battery, what's so positive about it? When did anyone say "My MacBook Air is too thick and I need something thinner"? Why not focus first on performance-per-inch as I like to jokingly call it before making everything a piece of paper? Why not try to work on improving the Internet speed in the whole world if you want to make the world "connected"? Apple kinda fscked up with their rMB, made the computer way too thin, sacrificed nearly all connectivity, reduced performance, battery, compressed everything beyond repairability, all for what? A machine a few millimeters thinner. Incredibly stupid!