General Hesitant about jailbreaking. read first.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by aPple nErd, Jul 1, 2013.

1. aPple nErd macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

ok so i have the iPhone 5 and iPod touch 4g. both on 6.1.2. i purposely don't update them, because i think i want to jailbreak again. but, if i jailbreak, and something goes wrong, i would just go and buy a different iPhone so i don't have to update to iOS 7. my battery isn't the greatest. i probably should do an erase and set up as new. i have applecare plus on the iPhone. even if there is a problem with my iPhone, i will not let them replace it, so applecare is kinda pointless... its just my OCD will not let apple replace my iPhone... so if i jailbreak, i will be on iOS 6.1.2 jailbroken on both devices until i upgrade to the iPhone coming out in 2014. its a real dilemma. i had jailbroken before on iOS 6.1, but restored the last day 6.1.2 was signed, just so i could always be able to jailbreak. i want to, but i just don't want my battery to be worse. any suggestions of how to make my battery better? i really miss the customization aspect of jail breaking as well as tether me, i feel like I'm wasting my iPhone by not jail breaking when so many other people want to jailbreak but can't because they are on 6.1.3-6.1.4...

2. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Can you tell us how much usage you get out of a charge? Maybe some screen shots? Curious to see how many hours you get on a charge.

3. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

i will tonight, after i have used it for a while. i did actually do an erase all content and settings, and set up as new on both devices. we shall see what happens.

4. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

Great, thank you.

5. lukejc1 macrumors 6502

You will lose some battery life after a jailbreak. How much seems to depend on how many tweaks you have installed and which tweaks they are. Some tweaks affect battery life more than others.

I have a jailbroken iPhone 5 6.1.2 with maybe 15 or so tweaks installed. I get about 6 hours of usage on a full charge. So my drop in battery life was pretty much unnoticeable although I noticed tetherme takes quite a bit of time off my battery life.

6. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

Just what exactly is stopping you from getting a device replacement? I don't see how OCD is what stops you from getting a new device

7. HankHowdy macrumors 68040

HankHowdy

You don't always loose battery life when you free your device. Sometimes you can gain. It's not the jailbreak that creates a battery drain, usually a bad tweak runs a muck and sucks your device dry. Most of time a jailbreak can gain battery life if you choose time saving tweaks and certain performance like tweaks. Well that's been my experience.

TetherMe causes not battery drain while not in use. Of course any type of hotspot activity will drain the battery like mad while tethered.

8. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

It would bother me to not have the phone that i got on launch day that i waited in line for. I get really centimentally attatched to my devices... Just like my first ipod i ever got, and first apple product in general started preforming very poorly after the 6.0 update, and i refused to let them replace it because it means something to me. And my mom had it engraved too...

9. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

I'm not here to preach to you but I think you should get some help with your OCD. Just don't think about it and it should be fine

There's only so much you can do if there is a hardware defect concerning the battery.You can always buy a new battery and replace it if that helps with your OCD. Or you can talk with apple to replace it (I believe the cost is either $79 or $99; unless AppleCare+ covers it)

Since its stock, you can always try the settings -> general -> reset -> reset all content and settings

As a last resort, you can try a restore as brand new to 6.1.4. If you've held off on jailbreaking for so long, it doesn't seem like you'll miss that much if you didn't have it

10. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

well, if i ever have hardware issues, i will first see if apple will just replace parts for me, and if not, i will buy the parts and install myself.

11. darricksailo macrumors 601

darricksailo

First thing they would tell you is to restore and don't restore from backup

Not sure whether its a hardware or software problem right now

12. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Same as troubleshooting any other battery life issue JB'ed or non-JB'ed. Add one at a time and monitor to find the culprit(s). If you want suggestions on the usual suspects then you need to list out the tweak that you use and how you have them configured.

That's not OCD. It's just irrational attachment. People misuse the term OCD way too often.

13. aPple nErd thread starter macrumors 68030

aPple nErd

well, my battery is doing fairly well. in settings it says usage: 5 hours 5 minutes, and standby: 1 day, one hour.

14. lukejc1 macrumors 6502

That's pretty good. I would say your battery life is fine and I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

15. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

As far as battery life, I installed an Auto 3G tweak on mine and it significantly increased my battery life. It turns off the 3G radio when you are connected to a wifi network, and when the screen is locked. I can't offer an exact time because I don't live off my phone, but I can say this. I charge my phone while I sleep. I wake up at 7am. When I go to bed at midnight, I used to be on ~40%. Now that I use the Auto 3G tweak I am often still around ~80%.

I am on an iPhone 4, but on any device that kind of difference is nice.

16. manybreak macrumors newbie

I think the Auto 3G tweak only works up to ios 5
    It would be nice to get a update for iOS 6 and 4S and up devices

17. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

akAuto3G is ios6 compatible. Had to look and see what it was called. I was just speaking generically in my last post.

18. manybreak macrumors newbie

Oh ok , might give a check to that tweak :D