Hesitating with current rMBP 15" or next one in 2015...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ShaYk3rZ, Mar 24, 2015.

  1. ShaYk3rZ macrumors newbie

    ShaYk3rZ

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2015
    Location:
    FR-FI-RU-UK
    #1
    Hello,
    I'm reading a lot of posts saying that we can expect a refresh of the line 15" but what is to expect?

    Right now I can have a deal for 1800€: the base model 2,2ghz,16,256.
    I've read that this iris pro 5200 inside it is already quite powerful and can handle many more things than the new Intel iris 6100...right?

    I don't play like recent games on my computer, and mine is actually from 2012 and I get Intel hd 4000 with the ivy bridge M...which can handle indie games and some good 3D games like Batman or so.

    I would like to do some photoshop, video editing, and of course the rest is basic stuff. Note that I will have an iPad air as a second monitor when I need: I'm a traveler.
    I don't need a better processor and I wonder about the iGPU.

    Right now, the deal on Apple.com with student discount is about 2000€ for the same model. It will be probably the same price with the update.
    Should I go and buy the discount one at 1800€? Is the new force trackpad worth 200€ more? If yes, waiting until when? That's my biggest worry...

    Thank you in advance for your advices...if some want also to share their experience with their 15" :)
     
  2. Kauai macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2010
    #2
    The current machines are very capable.

    That being said, you and I are in similar situations. I also have a base model Mid 2012 15" with HD 4000. There are certainly some issues I've noticed with this first-Gen model, like occasional freezes and some stuttering - but overall it's also a very capable machine and more than capable to get me through right now.

    Personally I'm going to wait for the Skylake update later this year or early 2016, - it seems like it's the next big update that will significantly increase CPU and GPU power while coming with the power efficiency benefits of the recently released Broadwell.

    Also, it's coming with some nifty new wireless standards, - like wireless charging, data transfer, displays, etc. Whether Apple will take advantage of that or not is another thing, but it's there in Skylake. The Skylake update is also rumored to have a new body change.

    I'm waiting and I'd suggest you do too, but in the end it's up to whether you need a new machine now or not.
     
  3. LudwigZildjian macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2015
    Location:
    NY
  4. maflynn Moderator

    maflynn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2009
    Location:
    Boston
    #4
    If your need is not immediate, then hold off. I think Broadwell will improve the overall power consumption, speed and GPU. The last thing you want (or at least I would) is to buy one now, and 2 months later they roll one out - you don't want to be kicking yourself for not waiting.
     
  5. ShaYk3rZ thread starter macrumors newbie

    ShaYk3rZ

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2015
    Location:
    FR-FI-RU-UK
    #5
    But some people are saying Apple will skip Broadwell refresh... and so the next 15" may be released only from september or october, which is impossible for me to wait.

    I need it now or in June (maximum July), but I cannot wait so long and I won't be able to buy it in September or something.

    Do you think Apple will update them with Broadwell?

    And another question more tricky: is there any way to buy a mouse that can "reproduce" the features introduced with the new force touch trackpad? Because in any case I will use more a mouse when I gotta be productive...
     
  6. ZBoater macrumors G3

    ZBoater

    Joined:
    Jul 2, 2007
    Location:
    Sunny Florida
    #6
    Then wait until June (maximum July) and purchase whatever is available then...
     
  7. LMD75 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 5, 2010
    #7
    I am in a similar position to you but the difference is that I do not need it although I am hesitating as its a big investment.

    The problem is that the new BW-H chipset is not ready as of now and we don't know if they will be ready for WWDC in June.

    Why not just get a really good deal on the current model, keep it in tip top condition with all the packaging then sell it when the new model comes out or until a complete redesign.

    Atleast with the current model it is tried and tested with no issues other than the typical Apple screen lottery.

    There are rumours that the external keyboard has been updated with backlighting. We may even see an external force touch trackpad. Not sure though as it may consume too much battery. However the game console controllers vibrate like hell so it may be feasible.
     
  8. David58117 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2013
    #8
    I was in this position, and chose a 2014 15" for somewhere in the $1,300 USD range (pre-tax). I lucked out at Best Buy and found an open box 15", then used a 10% off coupon and -$50 student discount. Total after taxes was $1,440.

    The only thing I would really care about in an update is battery life. I'm already getting around 8 hrs, so I'm not terribly upset by it.

    Force Touch looks cool, and I'm sure it will be once it matures a bit, but certainly not worth paying asking price for, when there are numerous deals going on right now.

    I don't really play games, so actually not having a dGPU is a plus. My old cMBP with a dGPU would drain the battery like crazy when it was in use. Also, something less to worry about. However, the Iris Pro is pretty good and enough to load up Civ5 every once in a while.

    I never once thought - "I wish this processor was faster." Holding out in hopes of a stronger processor, seems silly.

    Having extra money in the acct., AND having a 15" is awesome =D.
     
  9. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2010
    #9
    Agree with ZBoater's recommendation. If there's a refresh in June, it'll be announced at WWDC. Beyond that....
    [​IMG]
     
  10. Kendo macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Apr 4, 2011
    #10
    If you have a 2012 MB, why can't you wait so long?
     
  11. marco.dell macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2015
    #11
    I was in the same situation: buy now or wait for something new...
    Then i found a really nice deal i could not let go and bought it!
    Now i'm waiting for it to ship!
     

Share This Page