Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

How does that contradict me ? Better written articles point out that the 525 jobs being cut are those of people involved in webOS devices, not webOS software :

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/09/20/hp_layoffs/

Heck, even your own article makes that mention more subtly :

“As communicated on August 18, HP will discontinue the development of webOs devices within the fourth quarter of fiscal year 2011, which ends Oct. 31, 2011,” an HP spokesperson told AllThingsD. “As part of this decision, the webOS GBU is undergoing a reduction in workforce. Today’s actions are part of this initiative. During this time, we stand by our commitment to our webOS customers and will work to ensure that support and service for customers are not adversely affected. HP is exploring ways to leverage webOS software.”

Nice try, but no dice. Again, the facts are the facts. HP is only getting rid of the hardware portion of the webOS business, something they have been clear about since the announcement. They have yet to contradict themselves.

Why are some of you so eager to change the facts ?

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
Just read today that HP management is now asking employees what to do.

How much more lost can you get.
I wish more companies would do that to be honest, the low level employee knows more about what goes on than the suits do.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
How does that contradict me ? Better written articles point out that the 525 jobs being cut are those of people involved in webOS devices, not webOS software :

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/09/20/hp_layoffs/

Heck, even your own article makes that mention more subtly :

Nice try, but no dice. Again, the facts are the facts. HP is only getting rid of the hardware portion of the webOS business, something they have been clear about since the announcement. They have yet to contradict themselves.

Why are some of you so eager to change the facts ?

Do you know that WebOS software group is getting split off to "Office of Strategy and Technology"?

If splitting Palm’s hardware and software divisions sounds familiar, well, it should. That’s exactly what Palm did back in 2003 when they split into palmOne (hardware, after merging with Handspring) and PalmSource (software). It was a disaster, with PalmSource floundering with operating system development and getting purchased by mobile browser builder ACCESS a few years later for a paltry $324 million (that purchase eventually resulted in the Access Linux Platform, which also went nowhere).

http://www.precentral.net/hp-splitt...aded-office-strategy-and-technology-exclusive

The history shows that Palm OS just doesn't work by itself, and they are applying the same business model to Palm Jr, webOS now. Surely it'll be successful.

Again, it's not being folded into the product centric and profitable "Software" department.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Do you know that WebOS software group is getting split off to "Office of Strategy and Technology"?

Again, it's not being folded into the product centric and profitable "Software" department.

Again, how does that refute my point and why are you so eager to even refute it ? HP is continuing support, that is their stance and right now, their moves support this announcement.

Why do you feel the need to dig for issues where there is none ?

TheSideshow

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2011
Just read today that HP management is now asking employees what to do.

How much more lost can you get.

Listening and getting feedback from employees is good management for the most part. It doesn't show they are lost, but that doesn't mean they aren't lost either.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
To think I bought an HP desktop last fall. :mad: Really like Windows 7 but this story has made me think "I should have got a Mac".

Your computer isn't going to suddenly stop working and your warranty will still be honoured.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Your computer isn't going to suddenly stop working and your warranty will still be honoured.

But the mentality is that consumers do not want to buy a computer from a company that is actively looking to spin that division off. To be honest, I don't blame anyone one. While I do agree that there shouldn't be any warranty issues the fact remains I could buy from a company that is going to be standing behind me, not one that is fleeing

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Good read on the HP fustercluck.

HP board chairman Ray Lane is lashing out at critics who are pinning the blame for HP’s mess on the board of directors, who are described in this New York Times article as the “worst board in the history of business.”

Now HP’s directors are getting heat for making the incredible blunder of hiring Leo Apotheker as CEO and firing him after 11 months.

Ray says that’s not his fault, nor is it the fault of his fellow directors. “This board did not select Leo,” he says.

Lane points out that eight of the 14 current board members, including Ray Lane himself, were not involved in selecting Apotheker.

That’s true. Several of the new board members did not choose Apotheker — Apotheker chose them.

Ray Lane fails to mention that five of the new board members were selected by Apotheker (or at least with his input): Pat Russo, Dominique Senequier, Gary Reiner, Meg Whitman and Shumeet Banerji. And several of those people had long ties to Apotheker, as Bloomberg reported at the time.

But more chilling than that is the fact that Lane and Apotheker are old friends. Lane, in fact, joined HP to serve as Apotheker’s consigliere.

Lane and Apotheker have known each other for two decades. Lane joined HP at the same time that Apotheker did, in part because he wanted to work with Apotheker, according to the Wall Street Journal.
In fact their appointments were announced in the same HP press release.

In that press release, Lane said: “I am excited to join the Board of this pioneering company, and look forward to working closely with Léo – and the rest of the Board and senior management team – as they capitalize on the changes taking place across the industry. I have known and admired Léo for almost 20 years. He is ideally suited to build on HP’s strong foundation, leverage its many assets and keep the company at the forefront of innovation.”

Soon after that, Lane spoke to the San Jose Mercury News about his “close working relationship with Apotheker, whom he has known since Lane hired Apotheker as an Oracle consultant in the 1990s.”
But how things have changed. Now that Apotheker is out, Ray Lane says he wasn’t one of the guys who hired him, so the world should stop giving him **** about it.

In fact, Ray Lane now says Leo wasn’t very well qualified at all. Speaking to Kara Swisher at AllThingsD tonight, Lane said: “Leo was very wise about figuring out what HP needed to do to add value. But he did not have more important tools we needed, including operational excellence, people skills and communications skills.”

Furthermore, Lane tells AllThingsD that he’s been talking to Meg Whitman about taking over since last February — only three months after he and Apotheker joined HP, hand in hand.

Ray Lane says he approached Whitman because “she had the kind of leadership that HP needed and was lacking under ousted CEO Leo Apotheker,” Kara Swisher reports.

So, wait. In November 2010 Ray Lane joined HP for the chance to work alongside his old friend Leo Apotheker, whom he called “ideally suited” to be CEO. But by February 2011, Ray Lane was already plotting behind his back to get rid of him.

And now Ray Lane — loyal friend, and man of integrity — is angry at critics who question the judgment of the HP board of directors and suggest these folks are perhaps not the best and brightest in the business world.

This after they’ve just hired a new CEO from among their own ranks without conducting a job search because they didn’t think it was necessary and anyway time’s a-wasting and they need to fill that CEO job right away because this is, after all, the world’s largest technology company, one that does nearly $130 billion a year in revenue, and so why not just pick a CEO from whoever’s sitting in the room with you?

Of course, according to Ray Lane, Meg Whitman is an amazing talent who is ideally suited to run HP and has all the qualifications for the job and Ray Lane just totally thinks the world of her. Today.

Two thoughts:
1. Watch your back, Meg Whitman.

2. Stay classy, Ray Lane.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Not a fan of Ray Lane. Focus should be on fixing whats wrong and let results speak for themselves, not covering oneself politically. Really is no sign that the problems won't continue. New CEO and new board members next year as well? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.